11 of 12 | Posted by: Marilyn Brine - Holliston, MA, “Good job to whoever wrote this obit! ” As a teenager, she tended to gain weight, her soft child-blond hair turned brown and unruly, and she developed acne that would scar as well as shape her looks and personality. Clandestine forays over the border (called "going on the line") were a rite of passage in those days and one that Janis was exposed to early on because she ran with the boys in high school. ” York. For kids in East Texas' "Golden Triangle" (Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange) the promised land of booze and blues lay just across the Louisiana border. 1 of 12 | Posted by: ALFREDO LEPORE - NYC, NY - fan, “You were like a shooting star, you shone so brightly and over 40 years later you still do.

A more tolerant, nurturing atmosphere might have diluted the fire that burned within her. Share joyful times, post a photo that captures the moments you cherish, and allow others to reply, relive and remember. But that song about Bobby always called to me to do all the things I didn't get to do. Her rebellious nature reared its head during a trip to Austin that fall, where she stayed and never returned home to Port Arthur. 4 of 12 | Posted by: Ardith Ann Richter - Menomonie, WI, “"You are what you settle for" and "Don't compromise, you are all you got." It was June 1966. Janis was blues, folk and lots of SOUL all in one. ” You were like a shooting star, you shone so brightly and over 40 years later you still do.

Burnt out and drug-weary, she returned to Port Arthur briefly in the summer of 1965 and tried unsuccessfully to conform to the straight life. 9 of 12 | Posted by: Gary Shell, “Janis is more than a memory to me. 3 of 12 | Posted by: Valenda Newell - Indianapolis, IN, “what would you think My Dear of life in 2017.. would you have new song that would reflect the time and sorrow of today... need to go home tonight...Read More » I CAN DIG IT!! ” A so high soul genius of spreading emotions, has been a living art wonder. The sad part about rebellion, however, is that it usually follows rejection, and that was something Janis knew deep down in her soul. ” I was living in the bottom of a small garage apartment and wondering how I came to end up there after all the dreams I had had as a teenager. Since the high school paper had no such thing as a "press pass", I used the typesetting machine to create one. When I think of you or hear your name I think of your laugh. Not only a fan of her music and voice (when not singing she had a quiet, little girls voice), but of the lonely woman she really was. She was so nice to me, a star struck tongue tied fan. I was living in. What would Janis Joplin have been like today?

THANKS for the wonderful memories... what would you think My Dear of life in 2017.. would you have new song that would reflect the time and sorrow of today... need to go home tonight and play some of your music again . We all wondered, who was this wild woman...Read More » ” I believe in reincarnation and I hope we get Janis back again and she has a happier life this time. She shared the pain one felt with the world through her extrodinary vocals...WHAT A WOMAN! ” I was a senior and the editorial pager editor for my...Read More » Seven months later she left for San Francisco. On the surface, Janis seemed the perfect icon for stardom in the late sixties.

I was told to be at such and such a door at a particular time with a "press pass".