It also helps explain the rather jarring editing of the original version (when we just had quick cutaways of the men sitting silently in between their excised dialogue), so as an editor I endorse it on that alone. They don’t RUIN the movie by any means, but they distract more often than not, and other than the hospital scene none of them really fix anything that could be considered a flaw in the original (Regan’s out of nowhere need for medical attention). Please note which one you saw first, too.

A decent little scene that doesn’t add much but certainly doesn’t kill the pace or impact of the scenes around it like the Spider-walk does. In fact throughout the movie Friedkin has added digital faces on a bunch of the scare scenes, and all of them distract and add nothing. This confusing usage only served to further reduce the artistic value of a "director's cut", and it is currently rarely used in those ways. I’m also amused that the more horrific in nature a change is, the more it detracts, for two reasons. Anyway, while it’s not in my top ten horror flicks (I prefer slashers and zombies; supernatural horror is way down on my genre preference), I recognize it as terrific and an important, must-see film in general, not just for horror fans. For video games, these expanded versions, also referred as "complete editions", will have additions to the gameplay or additional game modes and features outside the main portion of the game. the addition of perks and traits, yes. The biggest difference is the additional character options of Perks and Quirks. The biggest difference is the additional character options of Perks and Quirks. 1. As is the case with certain high-profile Japanese-produced games, the game designers may take the liberty to revise their product for the overseas market with additional features during the localization process. 6. Collins’ Crypt: THE EXORCIST Director’s Cut Vs. I also love seeing movies theatrically with a (respectful) crowd, so I headed out to the Arclight last week to watch it with a post-screening Q&A with director William Friedkin, as well as the director of an upcoming stage adaptation at the Geffen Playhouse to which I already had tickets. Thus, of the nine changes I only really like three, one of which I think I liked more as a stand-alone bit than in the movie itself. Director's cuts of film are not generally released to the public because on most films the director does not have the final cut privilege.

Give it a break please. Brian, aka BC, has been watching horror movies since the age of 6, and twenty years later decided to put it to good use, both as a writer for Bloody-Disgusting as well as launching his own site, Horror Movie A Day, which Roger Ebert once read and misunderstood the points that were being made. Another way that released director's cuts can be compromised is when directors were never allowed to even shoot their vision, and thus when the film is re-cut, they must make do with the footage that exists. This is still how the term is used within the film industry, as well as commercials, television, and music videos. The trend of releasing alternate cuts of films for artistic reasons became prominent in the 1970s; in 1974, the "director's cut" of The Wild Bunch was shown theatrically in Los Angeles to sold-out audiences. This was the case with the overseas versions of Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Rogue Galaxy, which contained additional features (such as new difficulty settings for Metal Gear Solid), resulting in re-released versions of those respective games in Japan (Final Fantasy VII International, Metal Gear Solid: Integral and Rogue Galaxy: Director's Cut). Extended ending with Father Dyer talking to Chris.

Another big difference is the availability of Precision Strikes, targeting specific body parts to inflict status effects. Merrin and Karras talking on the stairs in between exorcism sessions. So this time I wanted to go the other way; I hadn’t seen either version since then, so I’d watch the D-cut at the Arclight, and then the theatrical at home, and see which one came out on top.

Possibly the poster himself, when he sobered up. All the extra scenes we've added back in are just a bonus for the fans."

In 2000, The Exorcist received an extended director's cut, at the time called The Version You've Never Seen, and here's what it changes. Some directors explicitly dislike the phrase "director's cut" because it implies that they disapprove of the theatrically released cut. Note – this addition led to the removal of a shot of a perfectly normal Regan at the party, which no longer fit. In the theatrical version he says it looks like shit.

James Cameron and Peter Jackson are two directors who publicly reject the label, preferring "extended edition" or "special edition". The difference of the original game to the Dir cut is huge. Examples of this include Terry Zwigoff's Bad Santa, Brian Helgeland's Payback, and most notably the Richard Donner re-cut of Superman II. ), so I’m sure at least one of them had a copy… no idea what my problem was. The editing process of a film is broken into stages: First is the assembly/rough cut, where all selected takes are put together in the order in which they should appear in the film. Karras listening to tapes of Regan. While I managed to catch most of the universally accepted horror classics by the time I was 14 (1994, when I finally saw Dawn of the Dead), for reasons I cannot recall I never got around to seeing The Exorcist until 1999, on DVD. Español - Latinoamérica (Spanish - Latin America), https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/backer-information/release-faq. A director's cut is an edited version of a film (or television episode, music video, commercial, or video game) that is supposed to represent the director's own approved edit. Hmmm…. Sometimes the term is used a marketing ploy. Of those remaining four, I downright hate three of them. They also, similar to movies, will occasionally include extra, uncensored or alternate versions of cutscenes, as was the case with Resident Evil: Code Veronica X. Again, nothing crucial, but not harmful. This version of the video was later included on Knowles' B'Day Anthology Video Album (2007). One is the obvious – you’d think adding “scary” bits to a horror movie would always be helpful, but in this case it’s the addition of quieter, character driven moments that are the real benefit while the hardcore horror stuff is a detriment. 5. I thought of skipping it, because Friedkin tends to drone on and after two special edition DVDs I figure I’ve heard everything he has to say about the movie, and also I’m quite busy of late and thus shouldn’t be spending over three hours (with Q&A and driving) watching a movie I’ve seen ten times, but I wanted to try something.