Jodie Comer on Killing Eve’s Latest Twist: “I Just Wanted to Cry My Eyes Out” The Emmy-winning star has a lot to say about Sunday night’s staggering episode. This episode is all Villanelle, all the time, with no interruptions from the various international spy rings within which she is entangled. Do you know if Sir Elton watches Killing Eve? And then my second AirBnB ... had bed bugs. Thankfully, Comer got to leave the cashier job behind because, as it turns out, she's a talented actress! Is she caring about fashion right now? The actress told Town & Country in April 2019, "I didn't really go to a local drama school until I was maybe 11. Ultimately, Villanelle decides she has to kill her mother, and remains true to herself. Jodie Comer muses on Villanelle's future, opens up about cosplaying as Elton John, and reveals her favorite "Killing Eve" costume. Create a commenting name to join the debate, There are no Independent Premium comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts, There are no comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts. I was so comfortable in it, and I think it was so cool in regards to the movement of going after Bill and the kill within the club. They went with no music. By Yohana Dest a You can find our Community Guidelines in full here. There were bear warnings where we were all staying and filming. Waller-Bridge was also the Season 1 showrunner for Killing Eve, so, when Comer was called in to audition for the series a few months after their girls night, she thought she had made a fool of herself.

[Laughs.] It’s a coping mechanism, and she gets great joy out of her clothes and the expense and living this luxurious life.

There you are! The show was renewed for its third season in 2019, which was a big year for the Liverpudlian actress. While appearing on Late Night With Seth Meyers in April 2019, the actress talked about her inability to keep count of Villanelle's victims and revealed there is a "kill wall" behind the scenes.

We actually shot that scene on the train before any other scene with the family. Do you have a personal favorite Elton John song? I just got to set, and we were in Pyotr’s room and it was the first time seeing all of the Elton John memorabilia. ", She noted that it's "hard to keep tabs" on all of Villanelle's victims, especially because the show introduced the character so late in her life: "We've literally joined her life so late in the game that I'm like, 'Can you imagine all the people [she's killed] prior?'". It’s so complicated!

Until this point in the season, the show has concerned itself with uncovering the truth of Kenny's untimely death, unpacking the relationship between Dasha and Villanelle, and pitying a very depressed Eve. Please continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates. I was very extroverted, very in touch with my emotions. It’s such a hard cut. But Comer was very good. Jodie Comer is close with her family, who reside in Liverpool in the United Kingdom. On screen, the pair walk the line between lovers and enemies, but, in real life, things aren't so complicated. Due to the sheer scale of this comment community, we are not able to give each post the same level of attention, but we have preserved this area in the interests of open debate. I don’t know why, it felt very androgynous and I loved the silhouette of it. The actress said that she laughed with her brother about the incident after the fact, saying, "Of all the things that could potentially kill Villanelle... it was a mouthful of pasta.". She told Variety in 2019, "It's nice to bring your parents to these things," adding, "But I just said, 'Oh no, sit this one out. And your favorite look you’ve worn in the entire series? I’m really glad, because the first time we went to Romania, we didn’t have great reviews. For Jodie Comer, her audition for the BBC America series Killing Eve came when she was dealing with a hangover. I love that scene so much. Do you feel like that’s the thesis statement of this show, in a way?

In fact, she won the competition after performing a monologue on the Hillsborough disaster. It was supposed to snow, but we actually had, like, 24 degree Celsius (75 degrees Fahrenheit) heat. Isn't it about time we get a little more backstory on our favorite stylish serial killer? He was just, 'Whoa. The scene where I got the wig and the glasses on wasn’t actually scripted. Earlier you mentioned Villanelle’s penchant for designer clothes, which I think is what entices people to come back to the show, episode after episode. ", The star beat out Laura Linney, Viola Davis, Robin Wright, Mandy Moore, Emilia Clarke, and Killing Eve co-star Sandra Oh for outstanding lead actress in a drama — something that left Comer in a "complete state of shock." She could be a complete caricature.'" I'd been to a musical festival actually, so I wasn't in a hurry. I've just got to deliver.'". There was a question of whether you would hear the music or not. '". Someone asked me for a photograph and I was like, 'Yeah, sure,' and was posing for the photograph. It’s really interesting seeing how it brings out Villanelle’s vulnerability and humanity, and her emotional side. I always remember so vividly the first time that I met her in L.A. for my chemistry read. Before she landed the role as an unstoppable female assassin playing a cat-and-mouse game with Sandra Oh on BBC America's Killing Eve, actress Jodie Comer had to endure a part-time job that she hated. Why do you think she does that? Is this something that we should be paying attention to? So by the time I left the audition, I'd gone halfway through it. It was like, “Okay we’re going to shoot the final scene when everything’s happened, go!” We shot that on the first block of episode five in Romania at a train station in a disused train. I’ve always felt there was this undercurrent to her, this visceral feeling within her of needing more and wanting more, and not quite knowing how to deal with that, and having to process these things that she feels. The duo had to act out eight pages of the script, and Comer's character had to eat pie — something the actress actually did over the course of the day it took to do the audition. So it was a bit of a surprise that the actress didn't bring her family with her to the 2019 Emmy Awards. The actress talked about her experience in an interview with Glamour UK in June 2019, when a fan asked Comer for advice on dealing with a job and boss she disliked. The artist reacted on Instagram on Tuesday, praising Jodie Comer’s take on his iconic style. I think you’re right, she goes to Russia with the idea of letting go of Oksana, and actually, it’s Villanelle whom she cuts the ties with, this person she’s created. But Comer had a life before she found fame, of course. The actress shared, "I feel like I'm allergic to L.A. in some way." In an interview with BUILD series in April 2019, Comer recalled the audition, saying, "I just remember I was on holiday in Barcelona. Jodie Comer's Killing Eve character, Villanelle, can be a little over the top sometimes, which was something that worried the actress when she initially took the role.

I think if anyone else was directing it, we wouldn’t have gotten the result that we got. Comer noted, "Yes, I did count every single one of them." Another key component of this episode was the incorporation of Elton John and his music and looks. She still can’t get a grasp on it. It’s the only way she knows she will fully get away from it. Jodie Comer is a chameleon, and she plays one on TV, too. The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium. Was there a shift? We filmed it in Romania. Comer fondly examined her relationship with Oh in an interview with Elle in March 2019, and she detailed her most memorable moment with her co-star. And then she quietly just whispered in my ear, 'Will you strangle me?'".

So much for a happy Mother's Day. The actress opened up about the show's surprise success in an April 2019 interview with On Demand Entertainment, saying, "I think it was such a gorgeous surprise to everyone. That’s my favorite scene! She cuts it just as you see Villanelle getting up there, getting ready to sing a tune with the family. Additionally, the TV femme fatale would begin work opposite Ryan Reynolds in the action-comedy Free Guy. The actress worried about "overplaying" the part, but she found a happy balance playing a believable character who could also be "bold" and "outrageous.". Comer went on to say that she's never played a part where "the person eats so much." They literally had to roll me out.". But we bet Comer's Killing Eve character, Villanelle, would have gladly done as she was asked. We meet Villanelle in season one, but I’ve always said, Villanelle is this candy-coated exterior, this ideal that this woman has created herself to be. Despite being a successful star, Comer hasn't had an easy time navigating life in L.A.

It is seemingly out of character for her.

But honestly, as much as I hated the bandanna, I really loved the prison uniform. Killing Eve, a series that follows an assassin and the MI5 security officer set on taking her down, was so successful that it was renewed for a second season after only one episode aired on television. Comer, unsurprisingly, did not fulfill the fan's request to strangle her.

John Mark and the teaching team of Solid Rock. It’s so hard because, of course, people fall in love with the show as they know it, and then these characters grow and change and sometimes things morph into a new mold. It was a huge question for us because, going back to the scene on the train, you see her in her mother’s jumpsuit that her mother gifted her, and it was a big question for us going forward: does she stay in the jumpsuit? I love Villanelle’s tendencies and characteristics but it just felt like we needed to give her more in regards to substance. However, the actress didn't let feeling under the weather ruin her chances of doing an awesome job at her audition. Yeah, I think she’s had this huge sense of longing and wanting to belong, and where else are you going to find that other than your actual family? And we slowly realized that the death wall was so much bigger than the remaining cast. Just pure, unmitigated family bonding.

The show had dozens of other kids performing and her father — who'd never seen her act before that moment — was worried she wouldn't be very good. Did you ever expect Villanelle to meet her family? There was something outdated about it, which I felt was perfect with where she was going. Start your Independent Premium subscription today.

Fandom can be an interesting thing. “I think the glasses suit you @jodiemcomer!”. On her father's reaction, she told Town & Country, "I remember seeing my father's face after I finished. I think everyone’s expecting them all to go.

", The actress continued, "I think that that whole experience of meeting her for the first time and playing through the scenes and really feeling like we had kind of found the beginning of something, I think that is really significant in my memory of Sandra.". At the end of the episode, true to form, Villanelle sets her house on fire and lets her mom die in the blaze. When they were editing it, Shannon was unsure whether they would go with music or no music. However, this time we went back and I couldn’t tell you the exact place but we were about a four-hour drive outside of Bucharest. I think it comes more apparent to me as each season goes on. Absolutely.

He was best known for his roles in Coronation Street as Mr Birtles then as a Taxi Driver and later as Wilf Jones, in Emmerdale Farm as Ernie Shuttleworth, Les Brandon in I Didn't Know You Cared and Cafe Owner Sid in … This episode is all Villanelle, all the time. As Villanelle, Killing Eve's morally dubious antagonist, Jodie Comer has been through it.