She was promoted to associate professor in 1987, a post she held until 1993. Condoleezza is a Ph.D. holder in Political Science from Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver. The 66th United States Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice is the first female African-American secretary of state. These are all things that I think unite people and I think that that's where we should be. She first worked in the State Department in 1977, during the Carter administration, as an intern in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. [158], California Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer has also criticized Rice in relation to the war in Iraq. [78], The Senate report also "suggests Miss Rice played a more significant role than she acknowledged in written testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee submitted in the autumn. In 1967, the family moved to Denver, Colorado. The Republicans did."[29]. Source(s): https://shrink.im/baLU0. "[78] At that time, she had acknowledged attending meetings to discuss the CIA interrogations, but she claimed that she could not recall the details, and she "omitted her direct role in approving the programme in her written statement to the committee. "[167], Rice has also been criticized by other conservatives. There, she later said, she met students of greater talent than herself, and she doubted her career prospects as a pianist. [141] In 2014, Rice criticized the Obama administration from seeking to approve immigration reforms through executive action.

In 2000, one year after Osama bin Laden told Time "[h]ostility toward America is a religious duty,"[56] and a year before the September 11 terrorist attacks, Rice warned on "[150] Also, Reverend Rice instilled in his daughter and students that black people would have to prove themselves worthy of advancement, and would simply have to be "twice as good" to overcome injustices built into the system. Under pressure, Bush agreed to allow her to testify so long as it did not create a precedent of presidential staff being required to appear before United States Congress when so requested. Within the world of the show, Donaghy had had a relationship with Rice during the show's first season.

"[102], As Secretary of State, Rice championed the expansion of democratic governments and other American values: "American values are universal. While at the University of Denver she was a member of Alpha Chi Omega, Gamma Delta chapter. On July 10, 2001, Rice met with Tenet in what he referred to as an "emergency meeting"[61] held at the White House at Tenet's request to brief Rice and the NSC staff about the potential threat of an impending al Qaeda attack. She also served on the board of directors for the Carnegie Corporation, the Charles Schwab Corporation, the Chevron Corporation, Hewlett Packard, the Rand Corporation, the Transamerica Corporation, and other organizations. This was a routine responsibility for the NSC, but for some reason Don interpreted such actions as a violation of his authority. Two years later, Rice announced that the deficit had been eliminated and the university was holding a record surplus of over $14.5 million. As Secretary of State, Rice was ex officio a member of the Board of Trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Rice played an important role in trying to stop the nuclear threat from North Korea and Iran. Her mother Angelena died in 1985 because of breast cancer and her father John died in 2000 at the age of 77. Senator John Heinz Award for Greatest Public Service by an Elected or Appointed Official, an award given out annually by Jefferson Awards. Condoleezza Rice's former boyfriend Rick Upchurch | Source: kool1079, American political scientist Condoleezza Rice | Source: Business Insider. In the 1970s, she dated and was briefly engaged to professional American football player Rick Upchurch but left him because, according to biographer Marcus Mabry, she "knew the relationship wasn't going to work." She stated that while: "Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with the actual attacks on America, Saddam Hussein's Iraq was a part of the Middle East that was festering and unstable, [and] was part of the circumstances that created the problem on September 11. Nobody needs to tell me how to be black.

As the end of their tenures approached in January 2009, outgoing President Bush appointed her to a six-year term as a general trustee, filling a vacancy on the board. You might be surprised to know that the political diplomat Rice developed interest in music and figure sketching by the time she was just three years old. That policy faced challenges as Hamas captured a popular majority in Palestinian elections, and influential countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt maintained authoritarian systems (with U.S. backing). This term has been called a descendant of Bush's phrase, "Axis of Evil", used to describe Iraq, Iran and North Korea. Casper met Rice during this search, and was so impressed that in 1993, he appointed her as Stanford's Provost, the chief budget and academic officer of the university in 1993[30] and she also was granted tenure and became full professor.

[40], In 1986, Rice was appointed special assistant to the Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to work on nuclear strategic planning as part of a Council on Foreign Relations fellowship. [2] Rice has commented upon that moment in her life: I remember the bombing of that Sunday School at 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham in 1963. Rice has stated that "while race-neutral means are preferable", race can be taken into account as "one factor among others" in university admissions policies. Kessler has stated he "did not know if this meant there was something more to the relationship between the women beyond a friendship. "[99], On November 16, 2004, Bush nominated Rice to be Secretary of State. In an interview on December 18, 2005, Rice stated: "We have to remember that in this war on terrorism, we're not talking about criminal activity where you can allow somebody to commit the crime and then you go back and you arrest them and you question them. And meaning by that, that I have been concerned about a government role in this issue. Talented Rice has devoted most of her time to her profession and career. [169], Rice's ratings decreased following a heated battle for her confirmation as Secretary of State and following Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. She was born in Birmingham, Alabama on November 14, 1954. "[160], The New York Post and White House Press Secretary Tony Snow called Boxer's statement an attack on Rice's status as a single, childless female and referred to Boxer's comments as "a great leap backward for feminism. [151] Rice said "My parents were very strategic, I was going to be so well prepared, and I was going to do all of these things that were revered in white society so well, that I would be armored somehow from racism. From 1980 to 1981, she was a fellow at Stanford University's Arms Control and Disarmament Program, having won a Ford Foundation Dual Expertise Fellowship in Soviet Studies and International Security. Everything she has done, she has done well; I have every confidence that she will continue that record as provost. [52][53][54], Condoleezza Rice supported the comprehensive immigration plan backed by the Bush administration and shared that it was among her regrets that it did not pass through Congress. Rice responded by asking Tenet to give a presentation on the matter to Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Attorney General John Ashcroft. By using WikiNetworth.com you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. [179] In 1989, Rice's father, John Wesley Rice, wed Clara Bailey,[180] to whom he remained married until his death in 2000, aged 77. Sometimes just being related to celebrity makes a person appear into the limelight and talk of the town. Rice has stated that "while race-neutral means are preferable", race can be taken into account as "one factor among others" in university admissions policies. Rice indicated "It was information based on old reporting.

Rice is one of only nine people in the world whose influence has been considered enduring enough to have made the list—first compiled in 1999 as a retrospective of the 20th century and made an annual feature in 2004—so frequently.

[69], Rice was a proponent of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Before the engagement led to the marriage, the former Secretary of State and her then-fiance decided to call a quit. [161] In the 1970s, she dated and was briefly engaged to professional American football player Rick Upchurch but left him because, according to biographer Marcus Mabry, she "knew the relationship wasn't going to work.

American political diplomat Condoleezza Rice is not married yet and therefore she has no husband and not even any boyfriend as of now. He based this assessment on her attendance of Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform conservative leader's meeting on March 26, 2008. I'm not going to pay a personal price. These are all things that I think unite people and I think that that's where we should be. Rice indicated "It was information based on old reporting. [120], As early as 2003, there were reports that Rice was considering a run for governor of California, while ruling out running for senate in 2004. ", saying that she viewed the book as an "attack on my integrity. At the age of 15, she played Mozart with the Denver Symphony, and while Secretary of State she played regularly with a chamber music group in Washington. During Rice's confirmation hearing for US Secretary of State in January 2005, Boxer stated, "I personally believe—this is my personal view—that your loyalty to the mission you were given, to sell the war, overwhelmed your respect for the truth. "[182][183][184][185], On August 20, 2012, Rice was one of the first two women to be admitted as members to Augusta National Golf Club; the other was South Carolina financier Darla Moore.

"[99], On November 16, 2004, Bush nominated Rice to be Secretary of State.

Director of the Hoover Institution. "[64] On September 11, 2001, Rice was scheduled to outline a new national security policy that included missile defense as a cornerstone and played down the threat of stateless terrorism. Slowly and gradually Condoleezza Rice began her political career and has inspired many people by her intelligence and talent.