However, an excessively or continuously hot freezer exterior may be a sign that maintenance or repairs are in order. Any ideas? Behind your refrigerator is a very large coiling tube. The first and best thing you can do is to clean the condenser coils. I'm no refrigerator scientist, but fridges work as heat pumps. If the seal is cracked or damaged, warm air can seep into the freezer, causing the compressor to work overtime to keep the freezer cold.

This is what the refrigerator condenser does.

Weibo It is possible for refrigerators to overheat, but a few simple maintenance steps can keep your fridge and condenser in good shape. I dunno, not a fridge scientist)....in which case I'd assume thermal overload on the compressor would trip before anything got to the burney stage.

Compressor generates heat as it runs.

It’s a surprising hot breeze along the floor of the kitchen and the force of that heat can sometimes be alarming. The topic ‘Hot Fridge Advice Please’ is closed to new replies. If the coils are located near the bottom front of the unit, remove the base grille that covers the coils. 1.

This tube contains coolant fluid that is forcibly expanded into a gas, which releases waste-heat in the transition. If it is 12 years old, it would pay to replace it with a modern energy efficient Fridge. This is the end of a short duct from the coils which are cold inside the fridge and hot outside the fridge. Is this terminal? I recently noticed that the sides of the refrigerator, near the front door, feel slightly hot to the touch. It is approx 4 years old. I don't care if I lose ~$40 of food if the refrigerator dies, but I'd rather not have to replace it right now. (Commercial refrigerator/freezer). It may appear hotter in summer or when the product is used for the first time as the compressor runs longer to make more cool air. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.

To properly experience our LG.com website, you will need to use an alternate browser or upgrade to a newer version of internet Explorer (IE10 or greater).

The front of the wall between the freezer and fridge doors is HOT to the touch and the outside wall of the freezer section in the vertical middle, is also OVER-WAR … read more.

The condenser fan circulates air across the condenser coils, helping cool hot refrigerant coming from the compressor. Have you ever stood in front of your fridge with bare feet or ankles and feel the heat? Let’s explore the causes of a hot freezer exterior—and when you may need to take action.

Are you confusing your fridge with your oven again? They heat up while the fridge is running; if too much dust collects on the coils, a burning smell can be produced.

You can spray the screen clear with a hose or the sprayer in your sink and you may be able to run it through the dishwasher. When I got it home it would not get cold enough and I noticed that certain exterior parts of fridge were extremely hot. Press J to jump to the feed. Authorized Service June 22, 2020 Refrigerator Repair Leave a Comment.

sounds like the stat has jammed on defrost if that back wall was very warm it would be down to the heater inside the fridge warming it up ,if its just a normal fridge freezer, if its a electronic frost free could be anything. Forum Rules King Kong Slayed By A Witch, and other freeride tales, This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated. But that heat in the reaction has to be sent somewhere away from the cold compartment of your refrigerator. Click here to learn more. Most fridges are open but yours might have a back panel. Heat is not given off when it stops. Whats App Unplug the unit from the wall and pull the fridge away from the wall a few feet -- just enough to allow you to get behind it.

Some refrigerators are designed with an additional filter meant to protect the coils from exposure to dust and the inevitable blanket. Follow our freezer maintenance tips to ensure your freezer is performing at its best.

It’s all turned off now.

At GE Appliances Factory Service, we know GE Appliances inside and out. Power cycled the fridge and light came back on and is cooling down.

I fixed a small strip of plastic to the top of the door and we got another 4 or 5 years out of it. – Chris H Mar 11 '16 at 9:21.

In addition to the heat duct, you can sometimes find access panels and, in older fridge models, the water filter chamber. I had this same problem, but after a few days, i replaced the light bulb in the kitchen, i then realized the layout in the neighbors kitchen was different. This causes the fluid to rapidly re-compress and becomes cold.

Heat is not given off when it stops.

Because of the heater's placement along the edge of the refrigerator cabinet, it sometimes made the refrigerator door slightly hot to the touch when the heater was switched on.

If the fan of your refrigerator exhaust may need to be cleaned, repaired, or replaced.

This heat dissipates to the sides of the freezer, helping prevent moisture from forming on the outside of the appliance. Your fridge is warm because it has heat on the outside to keep any condensation from happening on it. It's possible that it's always been warm and you haven't noticed. Air is then blown over the cool coils. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Privacy Try pulling it out and cleaning the coils. This configuration is also why you might notice excess heat coming from the back of your fridge as well. Should be fine. Link Removal

How to fix

Regardless of model or style, a fridge's main purpose is to keep food cool and reduce food spoilage.

Contact us for more appliance care tips or services. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts.

GE is a trademark of the General Electric Company.Manufactured under trademark license. One of the interesting things about physics is that you have to make heat to make cold.

Obviously, something is wrong but I don't want to replace it now, but would rather just let it die on its own and then replace it. Like nearly everything mechanical, fridges are prone to various malfunctions, a few of which are evidenced by a burning smell emanating from the unit. It's warmed on purpose to prevent condensation and mold. Dirty condenser coils can contribute to hotter-than-normal freezer walls. The heat you're feeling on the front/sides is basically the coil using the REST of the fridge to try and disperse heat. Member.

Its all good.

If the coils are located on the back of the unit, move the appliance away from the wall to ensure a safe and comfortable working area. Taking the right steps to clean and monitor your refrigerator can improve its performance, add years to its life, and reduce the amount of heat produced in your kitchen.

Your freezer’s compressor moves refrigerant through the appliance, generating heat as it runs.

We fix all GE Appliances brands: GE, Profile, Café, Monogram, Hotpoint, Haier, and Adora.

Go to the front of the fridge and use your fingers around the door.

EDIT: To reiterate a point someone else made; this will not make your house burn down, but it will certainly lead to your condenser burning out prematurely (which leads to loss of expensive food, puddles of ice cream in the freezer, etc).

Luckily for those experiencing the smell, a few do-it-yourself remedies exist that can help solve the problem and negate having to call in a service repairman. Compressor generates heat as it runs.

(I know freezers have to dump heat on the inside to freeze food but it seems unnecessary that it does this 10 hours a day every day.) Tyler Z. It's likely your coils need to be cleaned. The condenser coils that create cold for your fridge do this by removing heat, and that heat has to go somewhere. These are supposed to be "coil-free" "coil maintenance free" if I recall correctly.