In an interview with American University radio she said: “When I use the word looting, I mean the mass expropriation of property, mass shoplifting during a moment of upheaval or riot. Without first reading the book, how can you know anything about it? Post was not sent - check your email addresses! What Republicans Must Do Next To Guarantee Victory. No one will remember this book or its author years from now when the riots are no longer trending as clickbait on social media. Prison by Any Other Name: The Harmful Consequences of Popular Reforms, Mutual Aid: Building Solidarity During This Crisis (and the Next), Badges without Borders: How Global Counterinsurgency Transformed American Policing (American Crossroads Book 56), The Terms of Order: Political Science and the Myth of Leadership, Corona, Climate, Chronic Emergency: War Communism in the Twenty-First Century, Dead Epidemiologists: On the Origins of COVID-19, Insidious Changes: A Short History of Big Government and the Resulting Crisis. Unsurprisingly, a lot happened in these years.

This book just dropped today, and it’s definitely one to pick up. O.

All rights reserved. This book was an outstanding look at the historic importance of riots, and one of the most controversial aspects of civil unrest, looting. We have to be willing to do things that scare us and that we wouldn’t do in normal, ‘peaceful’ times, because we need to get free.”. Well, apparently not.

Minority small business ownership was at an all time high in this country.

DNF.

If you are really interested in reading this crap, you can “loot” a free copy at. If you bought this book to learn how to rob others, don't be surprised to find that YOU were the one who got robbed! Natural justice and most of capitalism (notably, not how money is created) is based on voluntary transactions.

Since then, he has shared the story of God’s transforming power with churches, youth groups, schools and the news media. Many of the small businesses that are being ruined are owned by minorities but she doesn’t care; to her, businesses serve no purpose. all those meddlesome “work for a living” people. As Osterweil herself says, 'The future is ours to take. One imagines that the millions of black people who, you know, own things, will be stunned to discover that by having a car or a house they are contributing to their own oppression, but Osterweil insists that they are.

Is she redefining the term as so many other terms (racism, gender, oppression, etc) have been by the left? I am seriously thinking of leaving. This item has a maximum order quantity limit. I stole this book - turns out it was justified.

This is the same erroneous logic the Nazis used to promote and defend the looting of the Jewish people they murdered. This is a deeply naïve and sophomoric work. This book is not just a defense of looting, but a history of capitalism, property rights, and the police in America. Would have made Stalin and Mao proud, if it hadn’t been written in such abysmal style. I would highly recommend this book, and plan to purchase copies to give to others, because I think it addresses many of the questions people have about recent occurrences... also it’s just generally a great read. Osterweil starts with the origin of the term and moves all the way into the present moment and movements like Black Lives Matter whose protests have included looting and all of the arguments that have sprung up around them. “The history of the police in America is the history of black people being violently prevented from threatening white peoples’s property rights.”. Hate is taught, not born of children! The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program that Shaped Our World, Revolutions in Reverse: Essays on Politics, Violence, Art, and Imagination, This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century, Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity—and Why This Harms Everybody, Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor, The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America. That’s the identity of whiteness. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. If you look at the data of the riots this year, you will find a large portion of businesses destroyed were not mega corporations but small businesses owned by individuals. "In Defense of Looting: A Riotous History of Uncivil Action" by Vicky Osterweil is a nonfiction work that is accurately described by its title. This book is beyond dumb. Before joining Focus, Johnston served as a director on the boards of Exodus International and Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays (PFOX), ministries dedicated to providing resources and support for men and women with unwanted same-sex attractions, and for their churches and families. And to address the question of "when, if ever, is political violence permissible?" The self-described editor, writer and agitator has written an entire book defending looting, imaginatively titled: In Defense of Looting.

Looting is quite simply never justified and cranks like Osterweil attempting to say otherwise deserve to be laughed out of polite society and public life. I say the United States because the book is focused there, but the contents are probably relevant wherever capitalism's racist settler colonial nation-states are found. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because while it is empty headed garbage, it was a bargain since I shoplifted it. In Defense of Looting sees life as a string of ceaseless miseries that might at best be abated temporarily by stealing your flat-screen TV. And they cry, "The kulaks deserve the machete!" The history here is alive and vital, and Osterweil's grasp of it pushes any reader who has doubted the legitimacy of looting as a political action to search deeply and reconsider their position. Derivative, at best, from the pap of the Jacobins. Credit where credit’s due, she is certainly nailing her colors to the mast with a title like that, although presumably she would have no issue if a mob decided to remove the aforementioned mast. Subscribe to RT newsletter to get stories the mainstream media won’t tell you, In Defense of Looting: A Riotous History of Uncivil Action (2020) Vicky Osterweil, Hachette USA, NYT columnist goes for a jog, sees no mayhem and declares that New York's alleged surge in crime is a 'nonexistent crisis', Trump pushes to defund ‘anarchist’ jurisdictions, including New York City, Portland & Seattle, ‘Burn this motherf**ker down!’ WATCH protesters descend on DC police station after officers fatally shoot 18yo suspect, Video surfaces of 18yo shot dead in DC brandishing handgun moments before his death, The Moon is mysteriously rusting despite lack of air & liquid water, US pop star Akon’s $6bn plan to build a real-life Wakanda in Senegal is an insult to black people’s intelligence, Extensive Russian research project suggests you CANNOT get Covid-19 twice unless you have a serious underlying medical condition, What's the difference? This was a really well-researched, approachable exploration of the history of looting and its place in revolutionary movements. In a very crowded field, this has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments for anything I have ever come across, I even feel slightly dirty giving in the dignity of a response. For example, the decades between the Civil War and WWI were by and large empty stretches of time. Delusional. The author skillfully explores the concept of our riotous history, within which these measures have often been necessary agents of change. ", "[In Defense of Looting] is as much an argument for the possibilities of a riot as it is a reckoning between history as it happens and history as it is read.... [Osterweil's] readings of history lend the book its exhilarating quality and make anything seem possible. This book just dropped today, and it’s definitely one to pick up.

Without first reading the book, how can you know anything about it? She embraces anarchy and destruction of property even of small businesses. Just no. This book just dropped today, and it’s definitely one to pick up.

Unsurprisingly, a lot happened in these years. It’s about a certain kind of action that’s taken during protests and riots.”, Quite how one could define a rioting mob nicking stuff as “not stealing property by force,” I have no idea. This book put into perspective the importance of the protests and looting that occurred in my home city of Philadelphia in reaction to George Floyd's death, which were an extension of the oppression that marginalized communities have been facing for hundreds of years.