The barrel comes with a fair amount of moisture however if you wait too long to cure the barrel it could dry out and no seal itself totally. Then carefully use a pocket knife or box cutter to trim the excess liner. (Spoiler alert: it was awesome.

The spigot should be inserted in to the head since the barrel will rest on its side in the stand. Keep an eye on those leaks as they should seal up as the wood swells.

http://www.rainharvest.com/rain-harvesting-pty-do... ) something different than what's described here. Force it - Use a mallet or hammer to tap leaky staves or shift the hoops to tighten the barrel.b. After you have drilled the hole for the spigot, you'll need to use a socket wrench and 3/4" plumbers tap to thread the wood. One note I would add about using the water, is if you have young fruit trees or shrubs, they seem to be more sensitive to the ph and any residual biologicals that are present in the first few cycles of filling & emptying the barrel. b. Flip barrel onto its opposite head and let stand for an additional 12 hours. It's expected that we will need to replace these every 3-5 years as sediment builds up if capped, or just use the PVC Cleanout adapter with removable piece and clean them out once a year. First, we would like to thank you for choosing Red Head Oak Barrels for your at home wine and spirits aging needs. Note: Whichever method you use to swell your barrel, you should never leave the same water in the barrel for more than 2 days. The design was such that the water just backed up into the diverter hose and reversed flow into the downspout, so no harm done, other than slight waste of time and money and having to re-do the PVC catch. I just finish making one also. BELOW ARE A FEW TECHNIQUES FOR PROPER BARREL CARE AND MAINTENANCE. b. Reply Before setting up for rainwater harvesting, we then rinsed the barrel with 2 gallons of clean water.

Mix 10 tablespoons with 5 gallons of water and repeat washing - pour solution into the barrel, place the bung stopper firmly, rock and roll the barrel to disperse the solution, wait a minimum of 2 hrs, then empty. 125lbs when empty, and measures 3.5 feet tall. This caramelizes the sugars and seals the defect. There might be other solutions to this as well. Since the plumbers tap and spigot are 3/4", we used a 1/2" speedbore and tilted while drilling to widen the hole. Their first life is one tasked with turning grape juice into delicious tasting wine. Since the ground was soaked enough to wait a few more days before watering, this is a picture of beautifully clear harvested rainwater water that had been collecting for 2 weeks, and sitting in the repurposed wine barrel for another week after that. a. Instead you can order the diverter dam that goes inside your downspout all by itself, to avoid wasting everything else in the kit. - If you clean and seal the outside of the barrel, set aside time to complete this in a weekend, or at least remove the painters tape from the metal. c. If the barrel seeps slightly, leave water in the barrel until it seals itself. - I found that information about safe uses for rooftop harvested rainwater on edibles, depending on the type of roof you have, can be inconsistent - with varying degrees of scientific data to back it up. We would suggest leaving water in the barrel for at least 4-5 days even if it is not leaking. ), Here is my one of my favorite sites with information about reuse of greywater and harvested rainwater, one of the only resources I found that refers to municipal codes and standards: http://greywateraction.org/.

:-). Due to the material of the bung, if you try to hit either one with a hammer, lets say, the hammer just kinda bounces off and the force does nothing to secure it - right? After that point it tears off in small shreds the size of a quarter, and you will hate your life. d. This process can take up to 2 – 5 days. Reply Sorry for the delayed reply, was getting married and totally immersed in wedding planning. This is the same concept as a wooden boat being used for the first time after being stored all winter. If you still have a leak after a week send us an email with your order number and pictures so we can help. c. DIY Pastes - The past is made by mixing a 1 to 4 ratio of distilled water and unbleached flour. It won't hurt to recharge between steps if you are working through the project in one day, because the metal downspouts and barrel oak both give your drill a solid opponent. The alternative is to keep the barrel upright and fill it completely with each cleaning solution, and then drain it. a. Your brick or gravel 'foundation' under the barrel will not be super light either, though it is manageable as smaller weight to carry around. Didn't try it though, and not sure how durable that is over time. First stage is a wash with sodium percarbonate. If you are considering use of plastic barrels, you will want to refer to some other Instructables where the raised platform also secures the barrel around it's sides. a. Fill the barrel with cool water to test for a proper seal. Your first Instructable!!! Hello from Sonoma County, California! a. Our mature apricot trees did just fine with it though.

WE RECOMMEND PROPERLY SWELLING YOUR BARREL PRIOR TO FILLING WITH BEER.

If you can let it sit for longer (overnight for example), even better. Once applied, using a blow torch or heat source, lightly go over the mixture to cure and seal it in place. Apply silicone directly into the problem area. Start typing to see products you are looking for. Allow the barrel to cool and fill with cold water and inspect for any leaks. c. Next, stand the barrel on its end and fill the head area (on the outside of the barrel) with hot water and let stand for 15 minutes. 5 Steps: Prep a Half Wine Barrel for Planting. Step 12 demonstrates the results of a home water quality test that we did after the water was sitting in the barrel for about 3 weeks, as the scientist in me was quite curious to see the unseen. He was simply doing his job as project supervisor. b. If the soaking period exceeds 2 days, drain the barrel and refill it with fresh water. Before using your barrel, you should cure the barrel. Insert the spigot so that the valve handle is on top and rotated in the back position.

Thank you! Try to find a tub that is big enough to hold the keg’s stand. I could not have done it without my very strong fiance who is in the weight room at the gym by 5am every day (thanks Don!!). b. Insert the bung and roll the barrel back a forth so that the water comes in contact with all of the interior surfaces. Measure about 6" below the the height of where the hoses are attached to the barrel, then drill a hole for the overflow hose to drop into.

f. Fill the barrel with cool water to test for a proper seal. To note: we do not have moss preventative chemicals on the roof; if you do, the recommended usage is limited to decorative plants (no edibles).