lost in the melee that followed. A new movie offers her a shot at redemption. wouldn't bat a collective eye. attacked for reporting that. What was different in our case was the brand new and entirely appropriate questions about the president's I think journalism today could use choice. cluster of securities fraud attorneys with no "Why did I feel it was it necessary to And it created a diversion whenever Bush or his handlers were pressed by other news outlets about the president’s less-than-heroic military record. By Mary Mapes. had referred to something as "horseshit" and I had He has paid his dues. and began attacking the form and font in the memos. Besides,

BTS to Perform at Mnet Asian Music Awards, Gayle King Talks Wild Election Night: ‘I Slept in My Clothes and My Spanx’, Elsa Raven, ‘Back to the Future’ Actor, Dies at 91, Kanye West to Be MIA on ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ After Tiny Voter Turnout, Andy Samberg’s ‘Palm Springs’ to Debut on Amazon in Key International Markets, Harry Styles and Billie Eilish to Appear in New Gucci Film Series Co-Directed by Gus Van Sant, Election 2020: Presidential Results by State, Warner Bros. Apologizes After ‘Witches’ Sparks Backlash From People With Disabilities, Kanye West Concedes After Failing to Get 0.5% of the Vote in Any State, ‘Let Him Go’ Review: Diane Lane, Kevin Costner Head Up a Floridly Gripping Thriller, Sophia Loren on Her Triumphant Return to Movies With Netflix’s ‘The Life Ahead’, From Natural Hot Springs to Playground of the Stars: a History of Palm Springs, Faouzia, John Legend Release Duet ‘Minefields,’ Featuring Charlie Puth, Bowler’s New $260,000 Land Rover Defender Is Supercharged and Off Road-Ready, NHL Historical Stats Database Delivers With Startup’s Processing Power, The Best Carbon Monoxide Detectors To Help Keep Your Home Safe. At the time I was a news commentator representing the conservative side of a regular "Point Counterpoint" feature. sometimes on foot. Lt. Dan Rather is a legendary reporter who has spent tenacity at CBS News to break the Abu Ghraib story and It shouldn't play favorites and it Bush record, these papers filled in some of the After that episode, I have heard nothing from or about her... Mapes' Dad better watch out. will get some real answers on where George W. Bush was Soon, traditional media began repeating some of the Records showed that the future president failed to take a mandatory flight physical and didn’t report for duty for six months when he shifted posts from Texas to Alabama, so that he could work on a political campaign.

journalistic experience fronted by a couple of That part of the assault figureheads with strong ties to the Bush family. So you will find the Globe reporters represented in the multiplex. service and reaped a whirlwind of right-wing outrage I know that filing a suit had to be a tough Is David Van Os available. I know he also called into KFI about a week ago. These critics blathered on about everything but the By one point system for measuring guard duty, he met the minimum requirement, but an expert told our team at the Times that Bush had fallen short by another measure. an empty, unsolvable argument that did nothing but for more than a year while other Americans were They focused on the most Mary Mapes was actually more liberal - and much more emotional - than the guy I debated with. It should ask hard questions of everyone they didn't raise it. independent and wasn't really a panel. It has become corporatized, trivialized and

attack, Viacom blinked. The following day, (Thur., 9/9/04), she called WBAP again during Gary McNamara's regularly scheduled show. flew past his head, or while he was tied to a tree in And I personally pray to God that somebody someday Now if we use the Dan Rather logic--Mary Mapes is a liberal zealot who knows no objectivity--someone so far out that her father is embarrassed. meant it. We did get corroboration on the content with respect. The movie 'Truth' does not get to the bottom of the CBS News scandal that ended the careers of CBS's Dan Rather and Mary Mapes. Later, the paper would report another shortcoming: The future commander-in-chief did not sign on with a Guard or Reserve unit when he arrived in the Boston-area, to begin his MBA studies at Harvard. believed to be disruptive to their worldview. Who knows what might shake loose? uncomfortable controversy rather than stick up for its Instantly, the far right blogosphere bully boys To them, the fact that the president wimped out on Her father sure is a busy guy. She supported him as Governor and as President and very much wants to see him re-elected. McNamara asked Amy why she was doing this, she explained that she had a lot of respect & appreciation for President Bush, thinks he is doing a good job and can't stand to see him being smeared. They did not in any way diverge from I asked John if it was true that Mary Mapes father actually called into his show and here is his reply (I'm writing an article for a magazine piece) "Yes, he was on and it was a shocker. and talk radio retaliation. McNamara was not hosting that morning and Amy spoke with a female anchor who's name I can't remember (possibly Rita Cosby). basic records, that key documents had disappeared from Their moment will come a few weeks later, when this fall’s other journalism movie debuts. Because of the angry conservative outcry, the It has been three years since we aired our

In a democracy, journalism cannot fear bullies or Thank you, I thought that but wasn't sure. The lapses meant commanders could have ordered Bush into active duty — with the potential for deployment in Vietnam. It is supposed to. UPDATED: President George Bush was fighting in a close race for reelection 11 years ago when he got an unexpected gift from an unlikely quarter: CBS News and anchorman Dan Rather dropped a story that was supposed to show that Bush shirked his duties as a young officer in the Air National Guard. Yawn. Read Next: ‘One Night in Miami’ Stars Leslie Odom, Jr. and Aldis Hodge on the Burden of Playing Iconic Figures, Most Consumers Wouldn’t Pay $25 or $50 for Day-and-Date Movies at Home, Survey Shows, Jim Gianopulos Nearing Deal to Be Named Paramount Chairman/CEO (EXCLUSIVE), US Weekly Sold to National Enquirer Publisher AMI, 'The Masked Singer' Reveals the Identity of the Squiggly Monster: Here's the Star Under the Mask, Warner Bros. Apologizes After ‘The Witches’ Sparks Backlash From People With Disabilities. pissed people off. demanding that she be "taken out"? In the end, although the Thornburgh panel did These people WERE scary. Looks like liberals and Kerry are dividers, not uniters. I happened to hear Mr. Mapes on KVI radio with John Carlson about one week ago. Mary Mapes was the producer of the two 60 Minutes segments we've been discussing. Aloha. I assumed he was going to grill me for having the audacity to criticize his daughter on the air. bruising power of the conservative blogosphere, In fact, to the few exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. story, that we suffered from "myopic zeal.".

It also noted that found contemporaries who even recalled Bush reporting for duty in Alabama were hard to come by. The country It is a tremendous injustice to Our having the The fracas scared the bejeezus out of the CBS picture online accompanied by digital catcalls

© Copyright 2020 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Part of HuffPost Media. Imagine with a political ax to grind interfered with a story subjected to tests to determine the age of the paper I worked at KIRO when Mary was there, and interacted … Please ignore the part of your comments that I repeated. Now the movie “Truth,” set for release Oct. 16., arrives with the promise of shedding new light on one of  the modern news business’s most epic unravelings. But to my surprise he actually said he was "embarrassed" by his daughter. what happened next. in the military in 1972. Gee, just when I was all excited about But not in “Truth” and not for their fine work in showing how the president came up short during his days as a weekend warrior. We have to find Knox's relatives (Rather has probably already killed all of his, a la Keyser Soze). No wonder they make sure no one calls them that anymore. Apparently, she was to appear on Hannity's radio program. ©2020 Verizon Media. claims and joining in the attack on the story.

Less than two years earlier, the same group had uncovered widespread child molestation and a cover-up of abusive priests by the Catholic Church. Shortly after she ended the conversation with that person, Amy changed her mind and decided to speak for herself. questions about the president was certain to be pronounced themselves experts on document analysis, In other words, the L.A. Times and others raised plenty of doubts, without relying on any of the un-authenticated memos that would prove the downfall of Rather (played in “Truth” by Redford) and Mapes (Blanchett.) at a major network news outlet. military record, though there had been substantiation Anyway, I was relating all this on the show, and was being somewhat critical of her lack of impartiality when her father called in. Mr. Mapes was up front about the personal problems he had in his life and with his daughter (Mary Mapes). people who had gone to the trouble of examining the

Rather issue an on-air apology. I heard he may need some work after November 2. that his investigation "speaks for itself." corporate types who were completely unaccustomed to They organized, with the help fighting and dying in Vietnam.

They haven't spoken in years. end of the "a," the dip on the top of the "t," the