My family is big on homemade. My brother in law’s mom does this exact thing. It’s perfect for when you need a dessert in a hurry and don’t have a cake stashed in your freezer. Try some mix-ins. Thank you for sharing this secret! In some areas, no one would probably mind if you used a box or if you made a cake from scratch. In a large mixing bowl, mix cake mix, melted butter, eggs, and milk together until well blended. I will say that I add more milk than the box calls for water though. The thing about these ingredients though, they don’t add much to the cake as far as flavor goes. These are all recipes that take a ton of time to make from scratch and are the most requested flavors from my clients.

My husband and youngest son’s birthdays are only 3 days apart and this year they fell on a Friday and Monday so we pretty much made it a weekend long birthday extravaganza! With white cake or yellow cake, a few drops of lemon extract or almond extract add depth of flavor without being really obvious. haha! Don't worry about any of the ingredients on the back of the box, just use the ingredients listed in the recipe. The only trouble is, … *Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the pans.

Replace the vegetable oil in the recipe with an equal amount of melted butter. “I’ll just get out the coconut cake I keep stored in the freezer,” she said. Upgrading those basic ingredients is the first step in upgrading your cake. It's easy to make store bought box cake mix taste homemade with these simple hacks! Thank you for sharing! The extra egg helps incorporate the butter into the batter, and it means your finished cake won't be too dense. If you're making a white or yellow cake, add a teaspoon or two of fresh lemon or lime zest, or a bit of juice. Other great additions include lemon zest, orange or almond extract, and rum.

These simple tips will allow you to have your (boxed) cake and eat it too. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. But I still want that delicious flavor! If the box calls for two eggs, use three or four instead. I’m trying this today because what better day to make a cake and try a new recipe, right? I’m going to have to give this a try over the weekend for sure. For a similar effect, add an equal amount of full-fat plain yogurt. If you’re making red velvet you can use buttermilk. She made one for Memorial day. Although this step will require some extra time and effort, the effect will be well worth it. Another easy way to increase the flavor instantly is to add a pinch of salt to any kind of cake, which will help to balance the sweetness. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Another way to set your cakes apart from the usual is through a judicious use of add-ins. You guys know, no one loves a cake made from scratch more than I do! To make the cake more interesting, replace the water with some rich and tasty buttermilk instead. Well let me put your mind at ease. Making a spice cake? Even I was slightly surprised to realize someone kept an entire cake specially wrapped and frozen in case of emergencies. Pour batter into two prepared 8" pans and bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. This “homemade hack” works well with gluten-free cake mixes too. Click, Privacy, Disclosure, General Terms of Use, and Copyright Policy, 1 (15.25) ounce boxed cake mix in flavor of your choice. ». That’s it! Bake cake for the time directed on the package. Travel, Recipes, & Lifestyle With A Southern Touch. 1 extra egg beside the amount called for on the box. A few special add ins like a flavored extract can make a huge difference in the flavor and texture. What Is Cake Enhancer and Does It Actually Work. All the yums!

Shutterstock / images72. Voila, perfect easy buttercream frosting. Even a basic buttercream, made from butter and powdered sugar, is miles better than the spreadable variety from a tub. Want to make your cake extra rich? How To Make Sourdough Starter For Beginners, Authentic Copycat Lofthouse Cookie Recipe, Fresh Strawberry Cake With Strawberry Buttercream, Sign up for our email newsletter and get new recipes + tuts first, ©2015-2020 Sugar Geek Show, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Sugar Geek Show, P.O. I am so following these tips. Replace water with milk for more flavor and moisture. In reality, most of us don’t have that kind of time on our hands. He was educated at Memorial University of Newfoundland and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. Although the majority of boxed mix instructions rely on water as the primary wet ingredient, this will do absolutely nothing flavor-wise for your baked good. I also add a teaspoon of vanilla flavoring and a small box of pudding mix. This video for Coconut Poke Cake shows you how it's done: Find more cake mix cake recipes, and 7 clever ways to use cake mix (that aren't cakes). In the last few months, I have gotten a few requests for a recipe on how to make box cake better and how to make box cake taste homemade. Or maybe I don’t have all the ingredients on hand that I need.

(More moist?) Or, you can mix in all three of the above! And don't forget all of those goodies in your cupboard that you would use in cookies, brownies or other cakes. How to Make Store-Bought Icing to Taste Homemade. If you are adding the whipped cream I suggest mixing your premade icing in the mixer first until fluffy then add the whipped cream and mixing until blended.

Not to mention Duncan Hines are often on sale so stock up on your top flavors and enjoy all the funny looks you’ll get at check out. I like to use a homemade pan release (cake goop). Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Your guests will be asking for your secret recipe!

Bake at 350ºF for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out from the center cleanly. I don’t really love that “chemical” taste that can come from a straight up box so here are my tips on how to make box mix taste homemade. Oh nice! Easy Apple Dump Cake Recipe The most effective way to make your boxed cake taste like it is 100 percent homemade is to ditch the canned frosting and make your own.

Replace the oil with melted butter for more flavor and homemade texture, For chocolate cakes, try replacing the water with cooled coffee. This condiment, which is comprised of egg yolk and oil, won’t mess up the chemistry of your batter, but will make it taste amazing.

RELATED: What Is Cake Enhancer and Does It Actually Work? Next time, skip the water altogether and use whole milk instead. For more info on decorating your first cake, check out my free training on how to make your first cake. 8 oz package of cream cheese OR 8 oz container whipped cream; Choose either cream cheese or whipped cream to add to the mix.