A second light scuff session followed by storing the tire several days or even a week is recommended, and has proven to be ideal for preparing a tire for competition. All rights reserved. Welcome to the official site for American Racer Racing Tires! Grooving a tire makes the tread-blocks more flexible to the surface, and in these rough conditions the grooves really prove their worth. As the tire rotates and makes contact with the track the inside of the sipes will rub against each other and generate friction and heat. You can achieve this by making grooves in the tire that run parallel to the direction of rotation. If you have questions about grooving and siping your tires, feel free to call our friends at Goodyear and Hoosier, they were more than willing to give us the information in this story. You trim out a narrow strip of rubber from your tire to channel all the mud and dirt and debris to the outer edge, increasing your contact patch, and thus, your traction. But you don’t need to spend a fortune on the correct tools, the one pictured above is AFCO’s Heated Tire Groover that is available through Speedway Motors. Ask The Experts: Three Dirt Track Questions With FK Rod, Driving Tips: How To Execute A Proper Slide Job For The, Editorial: Kyle Larson’s Amazing 2020 Run After His NASCAR, BJ Kimbrough: The Lonnie Caruthers That I, High-Performance Racing Fasteners: How ARP Fasteners Are, Longacre Racing Products Are Leaders In The Racing Technology, Why Mark Lowrey’s Chili Bowl Win Helped Crush A, Notebook: Georgia/Florida Speedweeks 2020, Devin Shiels: A Local Star That Keeps Quietly Winning, AFCO’s Heated Tire Groover that is available through Speedway Motors, Crate Racin’ USA Late Model Special Set For November 5-7 At The Mag, Summit Southern Nationals This Weekend At RPM Speedway, Thornton Smokes Grant Junghans Memorial Field, Heavy Rain Pushes Creek County Speedway Fall Fling To November 6 – 8, SEMA 2020: Tackle Any Wiring Task With PerTronix, Cleetus McFarland To Host 2.4 Hours Of LeMullets PPV on Nov. 14th, 2020 World Short Track Championships Photo Gallery And Results, Wild West Shootout Super Late Model Finale To Pay $25,000 To Win, Blake Hahn Trying For Short Track Nationals Hat Trick, The Other Guys — We Talk To Cometic About Non-Head Gasket Tech, Both horizontally and vertically in the same tread block, tread blocks can be grooved and siped together or separate, Widths, shapes, and depths can be changed for tunability.

The depth should be set no deeper than 1/2 the depth of the tread blocks. This will promote forward bite and help the tire “dig” into the track. First, this will help the tire build heat quicker which will help the tire “fire” better. The thing to remember when siping or grooving a tire is, everyone has their own way of doing it, and each is probably right. The softer tires are very susceptible to tearing or “chunking” once you groove or sipe them. Just as with siping, how much you elect to groove your tires depends on what you have experienced in the past along with watching what the top finishing drivers are doing as well. It allows heat to escape from the block or the rib of the tire as the air flows across the tread. Grooving serves many purposes like helping to channel the dirt out the tire to help maintain a good contact patch between the tire and track surface–just like the grooves in your street tire which help keep your car from hydroplaning. “Reducing the number of sipes will reduce your trips to the tire truck… Did I just say that?”.

One of the most often overlooked pieces of equipment on any racing vehicle has to be the tires. To better understand the advantages of each, we first have to define just what is grooving and siping. Once The Track Starts To Harden and Dry Up. Traction is what we fight for in every corner! Out of every handling adjustment that is made available to us on our vehicle of choice, they all work to help increase or decrease one thing – traction. “Reducing the number of sipes will reduce your trips to the tire truck… Did I just say that?” – Shanon Rush of Hoosier Racing Tire. We promise not to use your email address for anything but exclusive updates from the Power Automedia Network. Early in the day when the track is heavy and wet, Hoosier recommends grooving a tire. Therefore there is no one “proper” way to prepare a tire that will work in all conditions, however this will give you the basics on grooving and siping. Run 6-8 laps at no greater than ¾ speed, then let the tire completely cool down. Deeper than 1/2 the depth may cause individual tread blocks to rip or “chunk” out. Both companies also explained to us that if track conditions deteriorate and get rough, the need for grooves increases. Unlike siping in which you should go no deeper than 1/2 the depth of the tread block, grooving is a much thicker cut that can, and generally is, the full depth of the tread block. There is most definitely an art to this, however.

So how do you decide then to groove or sipe a tire?

These include, how hard or soft the tire is, how many laps you are planning on running on the set of tires, and how much the track is going to dry or rubber up are just a few that you have to consider. Generally, to sipe a tire, the grooving blade is reversed to result in two independent cutting blades. LEGAL I PRIVACY POLICY I SITE MAP I VISIT SPECIALTY TIRE, © Copyright 2020. “Whether I want my tire to heat up faster, wear more, run cooler, or clean better has more effect on when I choose to groove and sipe.”, “We always tell racers to not do anything until you see what the track is going to give you that particular night,” Fantozzi explained to us. Siping is a technique first patented in the 1920’s by a man named John Sipe who came up with the idea of putting razor cuts in his shoes to give him better traction. Again, grooving helps reduce heat in the tire. Caution must be used in siping or grooving since cutting the tread too deep can cause the blocks to rip or tear which will cause traction loss or tire failure. Why Groove a Tire - Racing Tech Tip - RHRSwag.com - YouTube During this time when the track is lacking “bite”, the grooving will also create edges on the tire to help find that grip. Again, each scenario is different depending on track conditions. “More is not always better when it comes to sipes. There is always a trade-off when cutting a tire. Altering tires by grooving and siping can maximize the amount of traction and enhance the performance of the tire. Grooving will help channel the mud and debris out the tire to help maintain a good contact patch between the tire and track surface, Crate Racin’ USA Late Model Special Set For November 5-7 At The, Summit Southern Nationals This Weekend At RPM, Bringing The Show To You: PRI Embarks On Cross-Country Road, Lawrenceburg Speedway Looking To Lease The Facility, Brandon Sheppard Scores Five-In-A-Row With Duck River, Strapping Your Race Car Or Hot Rod To A Trailer Just Got, Get The PerTronix Wiring Products You Need In Your, QA1 Releases 2.5-Inch I.D. In a nutshell sipes are razor blades cuts, or tiny slits into the tread. “Every track presents different challenges, even the same track varies greatly night to night.”, So for the rookies out there, is there ever a situation where you might not want to groove or sipe a tire at all? Siping will also dissipate heat when the tire gets to operating temperature and the sipes open up.