And then there is the fully home-made route. A chain may work best of all. Allow this solution to sit for at least an hour. Removing and cleaning an old dirty fuel tank can, indeed, be a problem. Try about half a cup of powdered dishwasher detergent and hot water. You may have to repeat this a couple times but it should get it nice and clean. This buildup of waste materials can also cause your gas tank and fueling system to rust. Let it soak for an hour or two then rinse. Gas tanks are heavy; use precautions when lifting from the vehicle. Some people advocate automatic shaking devices. You can also contact us by phone, email or mail, Phone: 828-274-7978Fax: 828-274-6673aoc@ashevilleoil.com, Asheville Oil Company What exactly does TSP stand for and where can I find it? Repeat if necessary.

What chemical(s) to use to remove gas tank sludge? Add half the gas in the spare gas can to the tank to complete the cleaning and allow the vehicle to run. Apply a cleaning solution and leave it for a couple hours. Water-based solutions have to be completely evacuated and the tank thoroughly dried or you are introducing not only water into your fuel, but encouraging rust to return very quickly. I'm going to buy a gallon of fresh gas and swish it around to get out whatever rust particles I can, give it a quick spray of black and mount it up. A thin wall of metal after the rust is dislodged can be fragile enough to get a hole punched in it without too much effort. But be cautious with similar products, as some may still not be ethanol-resistant, so you could be pouring an additional problem into your tank. the big money comes from the motors that run with a partial restriction and smoke a piston. Physical Address: 4 Fairview Road, Asheville, NC 28803 A common source of the water in above ground tanks is the natural “breathing” of the tank during temperature changes which allows moisture laden air to enter the tank then condense on the inside walls of the tank.

That stuff can become a problem that you don't need. You "should" be able to find it at any hardware store, definitely paint supply stores and many supermarkets... Look in the detergent aisle. Spray water into the gas tank using the water hoses and pressure attachment. The gas tank removal tools and process will differ for every vehicle. Two tubes normally extend from the siphon pump; insert one into the gas tank and the other into a clean, safe storage container. You can strain it through a shop towel and then pour back the strained alcohol for another round of shaking. What a great looking tank. ). Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V7, Jun 26, 2007. It isn't all that bad. Bought new fuel lines and a new petcock but now I am not sure how to clean the plastic gas tank. The same warning applies to acetone. Prolonged storage of oil in a fuel storage tank can lead to the accumulation of sludge at the bottom of the container. My questions is; what chemical are they likely to use and can I just buy it? People have recommended using loose nuts and bolts, BB shot, gravel, and all sorts of things, but nothing is as easy to remove completely as a length of dog chain. A temporary in-line fuel filter may be a great idea after cleaning your tank, just to be able to monitor what is flowing through that line. 2. hello
whoa dont clean or replace that tank. We will contact you by the next business day to confirm your order and schedule delivery. Take precautions and … It can be removed by draining off or pumping out the water depending on the quantity involved. Over time, sludge, trash and water can build up in your vehicle's fuel tank and cause your fueling system to become clogged. of baking soda. 5. Some of them come in multi-purpose kits that both clean and seal the tank. That's great news! I learned the hard way. The sludge contains contaminants that can be hazardous to your health. But the most important factor may be mechanical loosening of the rust with an object inserted in the tank before shaking. Examples you may wish to consider are the Bill Hirsch kit, and a product named POR-15. Replace the tank. Aerobic Septic Tablets: Foaming Root Killer: Price $ 8 88 $ 9 97 $ 17 98 $ 19 78. Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. It knocks the rust off the inside of a shaken tank and then comes out of the tank with little effort. Remove the lid from your gas tank, and insert the siphoning tube. You will see how dark this liquid will be.

We're here to answer any questions you may have.

Once all the sludge was cleaned out I put some marvel mystery oil in it to keep it from rusting. 2016-2017 Winter Outlook…from Hans Solo the Woolly Worm, Mobil Announces New Line of Mobil Delvac Motor Oil for PC-11, Washington Stifles Domestic Oil & Gas Production. took a rag on a piece of #8 whire and sopped up as much of the goo as I could. If necessary, repeat this procedure again. Contact us today to learn more. A temporary in-line, Contaminants from a dirty fuel tank can quickly spell the death of your carburetor. They all said that they just pour a chemical in and let it sit for a couple days; no boiling or anything like that.

its almost christmas and 1/2 my money comes from old gas and cruddy tanks.the gravy money comes from cleaning carbs and changing filters and such.

After you see that out-coming liquid is clean flush your tank thoroughly with the regular gas. Oil Tank Fuel Sludge Treatment and Fuel Tank Cleaner: 67.6 oz. your best bet would be buy a new tank.

Terms of Service. To avoid its inherent problems for classic cars, use it as a tank cleaner, not a fuel. Abrasive blasting.

Problems exist and must be overcome with any method. Privacy Policy. This article was written by the It Still Works team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. It will remove the water that the chemical comes in contact with. Fill the tank, and rinse down all of its sides at least four times to ensure the tank is entirely free of any cleaning solution residue. Old gasoline does not just smell bad, it can make you sick if you work around it for long without proper ventilation. Heya. Empty the gas tank of whatever is in it and invert a way to close any bottom openings so it will hold water. You have some alternatives to choose among. At the time they were selling oxygenated gas in Raleigh.

We would love to hear from you. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, "The Naturally Clean Life Style"; Karen Spradlen; 2008. if gas doesnt dissolve the sludge not too much else will. It is a good option if you have addressed the problem of water and want to further address the sludge problem with preventative action. Still, some classics' gas tanks are going to be VERY expensive, so trying to clean the old tank may be wise. The CO2 evaporates leaving no residue. Then there is the problem of whether the tank is sound enough to withstand the cleaning and still not leak. Re: What chemical(s) to use to remove gas tank sludge?

Needless to say the carb, petcock, fuel lines, and tank were a complete mess. Read the label. Very bad for waterways as it promotes aggressive vegetative growth (moss/slime/whathaveyou). I did this and used MEK very strong stuff. Click the button below to find out how much oil is in your tank. Thanks for the info Michael. After it dryed it was hard and shiney. Now we will discuss options to reduce or remove this sludge.

Add 1 cup of baking soda and 2 cups of white vinegar to the gas tank. If using muriatic acid to clean the gas tank, use precautions; this chemical can cause severe damage if it comes into contact with your skin, mouth or eyes. That stuff can become a problem that you don't need. Carry a spare for on-the-road emergencies. Reattach the gas tank and hoses to your vehicle. Fill the tank three-fourths of the way with water to create a cleaning solution that will break down and dissolve any buildup. For sludge and varnish, denatured alcohol, also known as methylated spirits, might be your best alternative. Wear this protective gear throughout the entire sludge removal process.

Rinse the tank with water and leave it to dry for 48 hours. Couldn't find anything to dissolve it! Yesterday i drained and removed the tank.

You may actually need your brain at some point. Just finished dropping the tank and cleaning it up. My Dad, before passing away, had the tank sealed. Your IP: 46.243.69.2 Will safely clean fuel tank walls while rejuvenating old fuel, which may be present in the tank. You guessed it - the gas turned to sludge. Contaminants from a dirty fuel tank can quickly spell the death of your carburetor. Performance & security by Cloudflare, Please complete the security check to access. Then fill the tank about two-thirds full of water. make sure the fuel lines arent blocked up by blowing air from the front to the back twards the tank. LOL..... A new tank does not cost much and would be the better route. And it may not be the best thing for some of your fuel tank's components. I pulled my tank the other day to find it has about 1/2" of sludge on the bottom of it. Objects placed in the tank to dislodge rust must be removed completely. Though many mechanics prefer muriatic acid when cleaning a gas tank, a solution of baking soda and vinegar makes an effective cleaner with less chemical hazards. with 2 tbsp. ... Part two of this question is how do you responsibly dispose of ten plus gallons of old gas and/or are there any uses for it? Acetone and lacquer thinner also effectively cut the varnish, but are a little more expensive and less compatible with gasoline. put it on one corner and tried to get the sludge to run to one corner. Now, remove the gas cap and pour in the two cans of lye. I know dropping the tank would be the best way to completely remove water and sludge; but has anyone tried/considered using something like the Tempo Oil Boy Fluid Extraction Kit Model No.

Mailing Address: PO Box 5377, Asheville, NC 28813

TSP it is then. The amount and location of these hoses will vary depending upon vehicle make and model. Dry the gas tank with a blow dryer. Muriatic acid is a weak hydrochloric acid, and any chlorides that remain in your tank will quickly encourage corrosion. 3. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html. •

OB5, or some other vacuum pump, to remove water through the filler port?The link takes you to an article discussing how to use the fluid extractor…but I’m not sure about the “Fuel Polishing” additives. Lye (drain-o) is an excellent grease cutter but rather nasty (caustic, eh?).

and if you had it running with that crap in the tank youll most likely have to replace the sending unit, the fuel sock, lines, filter and all that. Sludge buildup spreads throughout your fueling system and causes fuel to back up, which in turn creates expensive damages and causes your car to burn gas more quickly. And don't forget ventilation. For cars with an openly displayed fuel tank, if you drip some of this stuff on your shiny paint job, you can kiss the shine goodbye.

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features. Muriatic acid is mainly a de-rusting chemical, far less effective on the varnish and sludge.

Heya. It is also extremely aggressive toward aluminum if anyone is thinking of using it. For a deeper clean, the mixture can remain in the tank overnight. Expensive repairs can be avoided if you pay attention to the quality of the fuel your engine receives. And if you are buying a. Radiator shops will sometimes take in fuel tanks to be boiled out with chemical solutions. The Eastwood site says this about tank cleaning: this kind of cleaning I would always take to a radiator shop to have done. Another option to reduce sludge is the use of a product additive (such as “Sludge Be Gone”) that breaks up this sludge so that it can be dispersed and burned along with the fuel oil.