I don’t know if I’m supposed to do something manually to make this happen–it’s very possible that the man who fixed it for me said something to that effect, but since I am/was completely ignorant of how the thing works I may have missed it. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Today, modern mechanical clocks are manufactured with machines that can cut gears with incredible precision. Winding a clock once a week for eight day clocks prevents the clock from stopping. How much to adjust the bob depends upon both the error and the length of your pendulum. Don't move the hour or second hands -- they will move automatically as you adjust the minute hand.

An antique or vintage clock that is “time and strike”, strikes the indicated time on the hour by means of a single strike for each hour or a two tone strike such as a Normandy strike or “Bim-Bam strike. First synchronize your clock with an accurate time source - like a digital clock. Timesavers and Merritts are other sources. On a clock with three arbours, generally the centre arbour winds the time train and the left, the strike side and the right, the chime side. The method used to adjust the escapement is different from clock to clock. What is the difference between chime and strike? Both winding arbors are also “chewed up” by pliers. Then, move the big hand forward until 11 o’clock and listen for the subtle sound of a spring.

To create this article, 21 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Move the big hand to the 12 o’clock position. The clock hands are now in synch with the internal clockworks. Pushing it toward the minus slows the clock, and pushing it toward the plus speeds the clock up. On the other hand, a chime is a musical tone and a typical musical tone found on most clocks with three winding points is the Westminster chime. Remember, this sound is subtle. It must fit snugly and not be too loose. The gentleman at a local clock repair service did a lot of work for me for a very nominal fee. Two ends are required because the speed adjustment winding arbor is significantly smaller that the winding key arbour. If I am missing it completely, let me know. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. Insert the key into the hole. Recently I decided to see if it could be put in working order. What is the proper sequence for winding, and how do I prevent it from chiming at night? But I discovered that something is not right–the second weight does not engage once the first one reaches the bottom of the case. This isn't the case in most grandfather clocks, however, some Regulators have that feature. Some clocks need slight timing adjustments every month or two, while others can go for years without adjusting.

An article I wrote on regulating your clock can be found here. These instructions apply only to old striking mantel clocks such as the one in the photos below.

You should hear another sound like a spring unwinding. Our old Excelsior quarter hour chiming mantle clock is not chiming. Re-synchronizing the Chimes to the Hour. The faster the pendulum swings, the faster the minute hand will turn.

If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. Do not “help” them by lifting the weights at the same time.

How to Reset the Time and Resynchronize the Chimes on an Antique Mantel Clock, https://ticktocktony.com/Clock-Repair-How-To-Articles/how-to-wind-a-clock.html, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV1B8BanxAU, http://www.valuableclocks.com/antique-clocks-care.htm, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Is the correct time on the first or last strike at noon on an antique mantel clock? In general, a British grandfather clock can be changed one minute per day with one revolution of the nut. In a clock without a pendulum, use the timing lever in the back of the clock, moving it toward the minus sign to slow the clock or toward the plus sign to speed it up. On clocks without a pendulum, just move the time adjustment lever. Listen for the subtle sound of a spring unwinding before moving further. Move the pendulum to the left, marking the point where the clock ticks. Reset the clock by moving the minute hand clockwise until you reach the correct time. First a couple of assumptions. A lot of the time the hour hand is simply pushed onto the hour post. Likewise, if you lower the bob, the clock will run slower. Some older clocks run 30 hours and others run as long as 30 days on a wind. If you move the hands counterclockwise between the 11:00 and 12:00 positions and you are not trying to re-synchronize, as instructed above, the chimes and the time will become out-of-sync. As your clock becomes more accurate, switch from recording every day to recording every week. If the clock has a pendulum, use the nut on the bottom of the pendulum to adjust the clock. 30-hour time and strike clocks are typically wound with a winding crank once per day. ( Log Out /  Mantel clocks are small clocks designed to rest on a shelf or fireplace mantel. For more tips, including how to avoid desynchronizing your mental clock, read on! For instance, do not push the hand from the 1:00 position through the 12:00 position to the 10:00 position or even the 11:59 position. A clock which “appears” to be over-wound seizes because of a buildup of old oil and dirt in the mainspring coil which causes the coil to stick. On those rare occasions when the click might slip or break you must resist the urge to let it go. What if your clock only runs for ten minutes then stops? Reset the clock by moving the minute hand clockwise until you reach the correct time. Count the number of strikes. After twenty-four hours, record how many minutes your clock is off. The exception is, of course, alarm clocks and some carriage clocks that have integrated winding keys.

This action will desynchronize the clock and the chimes. Test the clock to see whether it keeps time accurately. If the dial is covered by a glass door, open it to access the face. If it the time between each tick/tock is uneven your clock will not run correctly. Entwicklungsgeschichte der Schwarzwälder Kuckucksuhr von 1750 bis 1850 by Dr. Schneider, Newton's Clock, Chaos in the Solar System by Ivars Peterson, Rare and Unusual Black Forest Clocks by Justin Miller, The Borghesi Astronomical Clock In the Museum of History and Technology, The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Advance clockwise to the correct time.

Do not force the key any further once you’ve encountered resistance. Listen for a sound like a spring unwinding.

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? A private music instructor and professional accompanist, Howard holds a Bachelor of Arts in music, studying both piano and voice.

The smaller hole just below the centre cannon is for regulating the clock (described above). Newer chiming clocks may have different ways of synchronizing and setting. If you need to rewind the clock, there is often either a "key" which you insert and turn or weights that you need to draw up. Do not force; just wind both to firm resistance, then reset the clock through the "chime" sequence until it catches up to the correct hour/strike number.

Move the big hand clockwise to the 11 o’clock position and pause. Test the clock to see whether it keeps time accurately. You may, however, push the big hand counterclockwise for a few minutes to reset the time as long as you never do this action between the 11 o’clock to 12 o’clock positions (except when performing a re-synchronization as outlined above).

(I think that’s what is supposed to happen, not sure.) All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Turn the Regulating spindle in very small increments (less than 1/16th of a turn) to adjust the timekeeping. Adjust the timing on the clock according to the results of the timing test.

The clock should be fully wound before you adjust the time. How do I fix this? Take a look at your clock dial and you will see one, two or three holes. Insert the key into the hole. People have to keep in mind that antique clocks are often hundreds of years old. This depends how handy you are and on whether or not loosening the hands on your clock is difficult. Newer chiming clocks may have different ways of synchronizing and setting. Listen for the subtle sound of a spring unwinding before moving further. If your chimes were out of sync, move the big hand back to 9 and wait for the sound of the spring. If there is one hole it is a time-only clock; if there are 2 holes it means that it is a time and strike clock, that is, it strikes the appropriate hour on the hour and either a bell or strike on the half hour (there are always exceptions such as this two train Westminster Chime clock or a time-only clock with an alarm arbour). To slow the clock, move the lever down towards the "-" (minus). Repeat the action until the number of chimes and the hour are synchronized. What if there are two keyholes for winding?

If it will not turn clockwise, turn counterclockwise. If you do not have the instructions, you can often find instructions on the manufacturer's web site, failing that, their are often 'enthusiast sites' that will have the information. If you have a double-ended key the small end fits that arbour. Allow the key to slowly unwind in your hand, otherwise damage can potentially occur to the teeth and gears if the spring unwinds freely. How do you wind a mechanical clock?

Where do I move the hands to reset a grandfather clock? If your clock has a speed adjustment arbor on the clock face (F-S) usually located on the top part of the dial face, you will have a double-ended key. With that being said, an antique clock that is accurate to within a couple minutes per week really needs no adjusting. Books and lovingly renovated clocks for sale. How do I change the chime's timing on my antique mantel clock? Should my mantel clock chime the correct number of times on every hour? Listen again for the sound like a spring unwinding.

I have a Daniel Pratt ogee clock which has been sitting on a basement shelf for about 30 years. Move it up for faster, only try 1 mm increments to start with. See the video below to help clarify this. Denise Howard has been writing since 2004, specializing in home and garden, travel, music and education. Keys come in various sizes and it is important to have the correct size key for your clock’s arbour. Let the pendulum hang in its neutral position and place a piece of masking tape on the case just below the pendulum. ( Log Out /  Set the time by moving the big hand forward, pausing at the 11 o’clock position. If the clock has a pendulum, set it moving by pushing it gently to the side to begin keeping time. This article has been viewed 169,047 times. If you let the key go it might mean a major repair and collateral damage to other parts of the movement! Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Try rotating the arm to the chiming. Adjust appropriately. You may, however, push the big hand counterclockwise for a few minutes to reset the time as long as you never do this action between the 11 o’clock to 12 o’clock positions (except when performing a re-synchronization as outlined above). To speed the clock up, move the lever up towards the "+" (plus). The number of winding arbours correspond to the number of gear trains (or sets of gears) on a clock. Wind the clock according to the directions for your specific brand. At the end of the hour, compare the electric clock with the mantel clock. I put it on our mantel shelf and enjoyed listening to it tick away and chime the hours for a day.