They Sing to your Soul, as they comfort you along your Path of Self-Discovery. Their only daughter worked, saved what she could and plotted an escape.

In the late 1920s and early 1930s, George wrote delicate, enigmatic poems, many of which appeared in his first book, Discrete Series, in 1934. A nautical phrase.

Progress or advancement that is free from hassle and easy to achieve. Mary wrote poetry as well and also translated poems by Rilke and St. John of the Cross, among others. Flip through Don DeLillo’s massive corpus, and you may notice that the word “silence” crops up, again and again, at crucial moments. See also: plain, sailing. Perfectly straightforward; an easy and unobstructed course. Her early life in small towns of the Northwest shaped by outsized landscapes and extravagant weather was an alternative to the chauffeured existence awaiting him in New York City and Oakland. To be smooth, uninterrupted, and/or easy, especially as of progress, travel, or development. Easy going; straightforward, unobstructed progress.

To travel in the air or on the water in an aimless or leisurely manner. I know that I am sailing against the wind to try get this unpopular law passed, but I am confident that it will ultimately make our town a safer place. Here’s one way that George imagined a free passage held in the surges: These are the concluding lines of the last poem in Primitive. If you liked this essay, you’ll love reading The Point in print. Driving from Baltimore to Brooklyn, she and George watched as “grown men, respectable men—our fathers—stepped forward to ask for a nickel, rag in hand to wipe our windshield.”. When Meaning a Life was published, one of its chapters appeared in a slightly different form in a special issue of the journal Feminist Studies about birth and motherhood. “Of course I am I and George is most certainly George, his accomplishments are his and mine are mine, but the composite life we live is us,” Mary wrote in 1975. “Nothing gives me as much Joy as the sailing boat of my Silent Heart.”  Rumi. In the seventh section of the title poem of Of Being Numerous, George writes: We have chosen the meaning The angry coach sailed into the players. Life is lived, art created and responsibility renewed through a constant, often painstaking sense of readjustment from moment to moment, word to word, conviction to conviction. Tim thought he could just put on fancy clothes and rub elbows with the upper crust that Janet's family socialized with, but everyone at the party knew he was sailing under false colors. 1. To enter or arrive into some place or thing an abrupt and nonchalant manner. Life’s waters become Still, Calm, as your direction becomes as clear as the waters you Sail! | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples During the war, Mary writes, “Linda was afraid I, too, would disappear as her father had, and she was afraid to have me out of her sight.” When George returned home in November 1945, he had spent roughly as much time apart from their daughter as with her. Zukofsky would select manuscripts and handle distribution, the Oppens would arrange the printing and George, who had recently turned 21 and come into an inheritance from his mother’s family, would finance the undertaking.

During the journey, they shared meals with bargemen. The Winds of Awareness represent the Spirit, the Universal breath of its Soul.

To be smooth, uninterrupted, and/or easy, especially as of progress, travel, or development. They’d turn to that map again in the Fifties when they lived in exile in Mexico for eight years in order to avoid being caught in the dragnet of the House Un-American Activities Committee and made to testify about their political work during the Depression.

Terrified of the gift and its implications, Mary and George hit the road again in 1928, determined to learn about life by throwing themselves into it. Reyes National Seashore, 1977. In her suicide note, she hinted that domestic life had been difficult, and her son could recite her words from memory: “We’ve been happy—I love you—I worry about the children and school and their clothes—it seems—since I did this and don’t know why—that I am not fitted for this business of life.” In 1970, in a letter to a friend about the sources of sustenance for his and Mary’s life, a crucial one being inheritances from his mother’s family, George said, “We had help from the dead. Your Navigational System is your Intuition, when your Higher Self is at the realm it knows the best Course. To enter or arrive in a boat, ship, or plane. Apparently we had sailed into a restricted airspace without even realizing it.

“One does what he is most moved to do,” George wrote in a daybook. By the time of his death in 1984, he was one of the great American poets of the twentieth century, having produced a body of work in which the precise movements of a mind thinking are conveyed through a lyricism that attains beauty while eschewing extravagance, an aesthetic that has yet to be fully appreciated or understood. Working there was not all smooth sailing. The great cliffs of the island rose to greet us as we sailed into the harbor. Are You steering the boat, or is Your Ego in charge of – your Direction – your Path – your Course in Life? Yet when the “bright light of shipwreck” appears in the poem’s nineteenth section, it is associated with something different—helicopter pilots dropping napalm during the Vietnam War. Mary’s contribution concerns several births of hers that ended in miscarriage or cradle death.

The boss had a very bad temper.