How do you care for your guinea keets? They returned after a few days but we worried ourselves sick about them roaming the countryside with the coyotes and bobcats. If we did not have our Great Pyrenees we could not do what we do let alone have any free-ranging birds. Guinea fowl are happier if left to roam freely. I want peafowl but was concerned over their wandering.

Here are a few suggestions: You should pay attention to the temperature of the brooder. If you are using a normal water trough, put some pebbles in the trough. You should snuggle the keet in a warm blanket next to you for a few minutes before returning it to the brooder.

I am working to make sure my second house is the farmhouse of my dreams!

It takes guineas about 26-28 days to hatch a full clutch. After 2-3 weeks, you can use wood shaving as the brooder bedding. A post shared by Poppy Creek Farm (@poppycreekfarmermama) on Aug 17, 2018 at 5:13pm PDT. Incubate the eggs and raise them as you would day old keets that you purchased. If you do not want them to roam free, you should build or buy a coop for them. Why do guinea fowl have spots? Guinea fowl can be an exotic addition to your farm. If, however, you cannot find feed made for guinea fowl, you can use feed made for chickens, turkey, or other wild game birds. A brooder can be made of cardboard, plastic, wood, etc. Is there a specific way to raise guinea fowl? Yes, you can. Here are 5 reason you might decide NOT to raise guineas. If the keet does not improve, you may need to consult a vet. The brooder size should be 16 inches by 28 inches for every 15 keets. The way you should raise your guinea fowl depends on why you are raising it. Guinea fowl are beautiful birds that people use for various reasons. They are also seasonal layers. If all your keets stay at the walls of the brooder (i.e. Disclosure. In no time, your keets will start jumping in the brooder. Guinea fowl can roost in trees. Guinea keets are fast-growing and very active birds, so they need a lot of proteins. You should know that guinea fowl are monogamous, so when buying eggs or keets, buy a 1:1 male-female ratio.

You should set the height of the heat lamp to be 18-24 inches high. Guinea keets can die because of cold or getting too wet. Although only the pearl guineas have this great camouflage properties, there are almost 30 colors of guinea fowl! Follow the steps below: If you stick with the guide above, your guinea fowl will return to their shelter no matter where they go during the day. Stay tuned for the first newsletter in the morning, straight to your inbox. The ones I used to have stayed fairly close to home; possibly a quarter square mile. far away from the lamp), you should increase the height of the lamp. How to Install an Effective Electric Fence in 8 Simple Steps, 18 Easy to Follow DIY Cider Press Plans To Make Your Own Apple Cider, Zone Three Gardening: 38 Viable Plants to Fill Your Garden. Even though they will not grow quickly like cooped, intensively fed guinea fowl, they can also lay eggs and in time, they will be big enough for consumption (if you intend to eat them). I'm a single mom researching the nuances of building my own farmhouse. We have neighbors about 300yrds away. Related – How far do chickens roam? She will raise them as her own and take great care of them. In this article, you will know how to care for guinea fowl keets from hatching to living outside. Just like the young of every other bird, guinea keets need extra attention and care, especially in their first six weeks. Then like Nchls said to be sure to pen them for a few weeks so they learn there is food and they reset their compass to their new home. The first thing to do is to read the stickies at the top of the peafowl page for all kinds of good peafowl information. You should decrease the temperature of the brooder weekly (i.e. If you have gathered everything you need to raise guinea keets, it is time to raise your keets.

Im not concerned about the noise. Your place is ideal ... if there are trees! If the keet remains sluggish, it may be sick. You should line the brooder so that it becomes free from draft. The brooder should have a constant heat source. They prefer to nest on the ground instead of nesting boxes as chickens do. I hope that you find the information here helpful so that you too can have the farmhouse of your dreams! I am currently working on designing a custom built farmhouse from the ground up. Two of them have hounds that never shut up. Put the guinea eggs under a broody hen. 33 Helpful Wood Ash Uses – Don’t Trash Your Wood Ash! How do you raise guinea keets? To collect the eggs, wait till they both leave the nest in search of food. But the point of having them is to have them around the house to be enjoyed. While the actual build is a few years out, I am using this blog as a place to consolidate all of my research and design ideas.