Hereby it is manifest, that during the time men live without a common Power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called Warre; and such a warre, as is of every man, against every man. Quotations by Thomas Hobbes, English Philosopher, Born April 5, 1588. We assign a color and icon like this one, Note: all page numbers and citation info for the quotes below refer to the Penguin edition of. . Leviathan Quotes | Explanations with Page Numbers | LitCharts. For my part, when I consider, that in Dreams, I do not often, nor constantly think of the same Persons, Places, Objects, and Actions that I do waking; nor remember so long a trayne of coherent thoughts, Dreaming, as at other times; And because waking I often observe the absurdity of Dreames, but never dream of the absurdities of my waking Thoughts; I am well satisfied, that being awake, I know I dreame not; though when I dreame, I think my selfe awake. Error rating book. Quotes By Thomas Hobbes. Need analysis for a quote we don't cover? However, as this passage makes clear, he expands the concept of power from physical compulsion to any means one person may have of influencing another. Struggling with distance learning? ― Thomas Hobbes, quote from Leviathan, “Hurt inflicted, if lesse than the benefit of transgressing, is not punishment... and is rather the Price, or Redemption, than the Punishment of a Crime.” He’ll provide redemption, no matter who you are, where you are. ― Thomas Hobbes, quote from Leviathan, “These dictates of Reason, men use to call by the name of Lawes; but improperly: for they are but Conclusions, or Theoremes concerning what conduceth to the conservation and defence of themselves; whereas Law, properly is the word of him, that by right hath command over others. more via texts, memes and sound bytes, short but profound quotes from books have become

And where speech is not, there is neither ‘truth’ nor ‘falsehood.”, “As if it were Injustice to sell dearer than we buy; or to give more to a man than he merits. “For such is the nature of man, that howsoever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent, or more learned; Yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves: For they see their own wit at hand, and other mens at a distance.”, “The source of every crime, is some defect of the understanding; or some error in reasoning; or some sudden force of the passions. At the same time, the rules guide interactions with others. For seeing every Subject is Author of the actions of his Soveraigne; he punisheth another, for the actions committed by himselfe. 1, ― John Stuart Mill, quote from Utilitarianism, ― Rachel Cohn, quote from You Know Where to Find Me. For Warre, consisteth not in Battel lonely, or the act of fighting; but in a tract of time, wherein the Will to contend by Battell is sufficiently known: […] All other time is peace.

Here Hobbes goes back to his ultimate point: Authority on Earth is conveyed by people in their own self-interest, not conferred via divine right. ― Thomas Hobbes, quote from Leviathan, “For it can never be that war shall preserve life, and peace destroy it.” For some of us a quote becomes a mantra, a goal or a Teachers and parents! Born date April 5, 1588 He ties this to the central metaphor of the book: Government as a person, is stronger and greater than individuals because of its collective strength. . . Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Hobbes sees personal advantages as means of power over others and he believes that one element of human nature is the struggle for power. Hobbes’s generalizations do not stand up to close scrutiny. These Articles, are they, which otherwise are called the Lawes of Nature: whereof I shall speak of more particularly, in the two following chapters. ― Robert Musil, quote from The Man Without Qualities: Vol. For a man's conscience and his judgement are the same thing, and as the judgement, so also the conscience may be erroneous.” Books are seen by some as a throwback to a previous ― Rachel Cohn, quote from You Know Where to Find Me. ― Thomas Hobbes, quote from Leviathan, “He that is to govern a whole Nation, must read in himselfe, not this, or that particular man; but Man-kind;” But this priviledge, is allayed by another; and that is, by the priviledge of Absurdity; to which no living creature is subject, but man onely. He also establishes the metaphor that he will extend throughout the text: the comparison of a commonwealth to a man. Hobbes was a materialist; he believed reality was defined by objects you could touch and observe. The skill of making, and maintaining Common-wealths, consisteth in certain Rules, as doth Arithmetique and Geometry; not (as Tennis-play) on Practise onely: which Rules, neither poor men have the leisure, nor men that have had the leisure, have hitherto had the curiosity, or the method to find out.

For the Thought of the warre, introduced the Thought of delivering up the King to his Enemies; The Thought of that, brought in the Thought of the delivering up of Christ; and that again the Thought of 30 pence, which was the price of that treason: and thence easily followed that malicious question; and all this in a moment of time; for Thought is quick. And therefore, as long as this natural right of every man to every thing endureth, there can be no security to any man, how strong or wise soever he be, of living out the time which nature ordinarily alloweth men to live. It is true, that God is King of all the Earth; Yet may he be King of a peculiar, and chosen Nation. He believed that all contracts and agreements were worthless unless there was a way to compel adherence to them, otherwise the party that abandons the contract first has an irresistible advantage. They're like having in-class notes for every discussion!”, “This is absolutely THE best teacher resource I have ever purchased. See more on GoodReads, “In war everybody is a prisoner.” the BookQuoters community. ”, “No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death; and the life of man solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.”, “The first and fundamental law of Nature, which is, to seek peace and follow it.”, “For it can never be that war shall preserve life, and peace destroy it.”, “Covenants, without the sword, are but words and of no strength to secure a man at all.”, “Now I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark”, “When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy of all is war, which provideth for every man, by victory or death.”, “For to accuse requires less eloquence, such is man's nature, than to excuse; and condemnation, than absolution, more resembles justice.”, “If men are naturally in a state of war, why do they always carry arms and why do they have keys to lock their doors?”, “... it is one thing to desire, another to be in capacity fit for what we desire.”, “God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Yet still the object is one thing, the image or fancy is another. And therefore if a man should talk to me of a round Quadrangle; or accidents of Bread in Cheese; or Immateriall Substances; or of A free Subject; A free-Will; or any Free, but free from being hindered by opposition, I should not say he were in an Errour; but that his words were without meaning; that is to say, Absurd. And therefore the voluntary actions, and inclinations of all men, tend, not only to the procuring, but also to the assuring of a contented life; and differ onely in the way: which ariseth partly from the diversity of passions, in divers men; and partly from the difference of the knowledge, or opinion each one has of the causes, which produce the effect desired. One, by Naturall force; as when a man maketh his children, to submit themselves, and their children to his government, as being able to destroy them if they refuse, or by Warre subdueth his enemies to his will, giving them their lives on that condition. For all of us, quotes are a great way to remember a book This considered, the Kingdome of Darknesse, as it is set forth in these, and other places of the Scripture, is nothing else but a Confederacy of Deceivers, that to obtain dominion over men in this present world, endeavor by dark, and erroneous Doctrines, to extinguish in them the Light, both of Nature, and of the Gospell; and so to dis-prepare them for the Kingdome of God to come.