A casual, friendly place for the lovers of DnD (D&D). Pro: Even the much maligned "road trip" earns some favor: the encounter with the Golden Hind/Stag is. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. Playing rhythm guitar without the right index finger.

Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. My wife's contributions are not acknowledged in our group's paper that has me as coauthor. The main bit of information was that "the treasure is headed north to Naerytar", which the characters wouldn't have understood anyway. It is the first part of the Tyranny of Dragons storyline and followed by a second adventure, The Rise of Tiamat. Starter Kit runs from levels 1-5 or so. Plot summary. Leaving the camp intact allows for more RP as the players try to pass themselves off as cultists, determine what the raiders' goal is, and figure out what the cult's next steps are. How to adjust Hoard of the Dragon Queen for a 1st-level party? Also I couldn't really find any other ones that start around that level so rather than re-roll characters we'll just start a little of the way in. Is there a name for paths that follow gridlines? 2 \$\begingroup\$ TL;DR: I've already 'cheated' a lot to help the group survive the first mission, and it seems like I'll have to cheat even more if they'll make it to the Keep. If they are way better than some opposition they might suppose they might be way worse than some opposition and get out of "CR Appropriate" mindset. They tagged him because he is one of the best guys out there making adventures. Have Leosin tell them that he infiltrated the cult camp, and give them as much of the info from the 2nd module as you choose. My advice is to play it by ear however. Any known translations of the Talmudim et al into classical languages, prior to the 19th century? rev 2020.11.5.37957, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Role-playing Games Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. I'm trying to include things like a lovely day in the village, a realization of the threat to come, witnessing the ugliness of the world, and making progression in not only the main plot but in their stories to. How can I make players still feel rewarded after looting a dragon hoard? You could start at the 4th module! Actually currently running through the module. If they want a by-the-book adventure, then you can give it to them. I want to put more of my homebrew, and the pc's backstory into the game but how do I do that? Sitting around a fire and taking about the pain of losing a love one, healing your wounds and admitting to how scared you are to your fellow companions. This site works best with JavaScript enabled. I've found done free 5th ed adventures online already. In my world I replaced many of the factions, I even replaced the faction aiding the Cult Of Dragons with an orc tribe. The first module can be easily summarised as "The town of Greenest was attacked by the Cult of the Dragon." There don't really seem to be any modules for that level range yet. What the heck is the point? How can I debate technical ideas without being perceived as arrogant by my coworkers? Talk to Autumn, the dryad in Pleasure Pastures and she can help you, but she needs 1000 ml Dragon semen. [8], Jonathan Bolding, for Escapist, wrote that "structurally, it's a solid premise and interesting, but in play and as written the middle sections really tend to lag and create dragging, boring play where dungeon masters have to narrate hours of travel and punctuate when something 'interesting' happens. To sum up, simply start the characters at the start of the 4th module. My Homebrew Backgrounds | Feats | Magic Items | Monsters | Races | Subclasses. The starter set is recommended to be played with the premade characters or at least their backgrounds.

[6][7][8] James Whitbrook, for Io9, reports that "the re-release incorporates player feedback from the first two releases to smooth out the progressive curve of the quests presented in Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat, which will encompass all the tweaks and addendums made to how D&D fifth edition plays in the five years gamers have had their hands on it. Thread starter MrZeddaPiras; Start date Feb 26, 2015; MrZeddaPiras [insert something clever] Feb 26, 2015 #1 So I started DMing HotDQ and we're halfway through the first chapter.

How do I make a character green using a 4th level or higher spell? By doing so, though, the earlier episodes will be much easier than they were intended (for at least the first episode, this MIGHT be a good thing, as the difficulty of the first episode can be quite high), the characters will level up much more slowly than they otherwise would, and they would also likely be a higher level than the design intended towards the end of the module. But there's nothing to stop more powerful heroes getting stuck in. Hoard of the Dragon Queen starts at level 1 and goes on to level 8 or so.