25 Most Expensive Places to Live in the U.S. 10 Habits That Make You Look Unprofessional, 10 Bad Behaviors Guaranteed to Get You Fired, 20 High-Paying Jobs That Don't Require a College Degree, 9 Differences Between Baby Boomers & Millennials in the Workplace, 30 Tourist Attractions That No Longer Exist, 30 Costumes That Turned Heads at Comic Con, 30 Aging Celebrities Whose Beach Bodies Defy Time, 30 Celebrities Who Publicly Support Donald Trump. Hard-core fans will remember that she was named after an edible plant. A better name for this food is biscuits and gravy, but it isn’t as fun. The name, which may have originated in the mid 19th century, describes the dish: the dried fruits, which are usually currants, look like spots, and "dick" is a version of the word dough, pudding or thick (which describes the dish's consistency).

Nun’s farts don’t sound too great, but it’s easier to say than the original French name “pets-de-nonne.” These are little sugary puffs almost like a donut. I said "what's calamari?". It's the well liquor of lunch protein.

Traditionally given to boys (although it’s your baby, so entirely up to you! The Social Security database shows that Olive had a banger year in 2014, coming in at #282. Never had it, and not looking to catch it either. The name may have originated among the English as a dig against their neighbors, the Welsh. The name Apple shot up in popularity ever since the queen of Goop gave it its debut, and now it ranks at #809 on Nameberry’s list of most popular girl names—and it’s not the only food-inspired moniker on there. The Sometimes-Sweet, Sometimes-Unsavory Story Behind Some Bizarre Foods, 'Malarkey!' These names don’t seem funny at first glance.

Get all the best Tasty recipes in your inbox!

Brian Durkin is on Twitter and Instagram. No, it isn’t just the leafy green that’s having a moment. Cherry is a sweet name for a baby girl, although it has fallen in popularity over the years, probably because of parents who are wary about the slang use of the word. And if you’re a fan of the Marvel Universe, you’ll recall Pepper Potts, played by Gwyneth Paltrow. Other times, they’re a serious misnomer, like Canadian Bacon (which you’ll learn about in this slideshow).

It's up there with cheesestakes and Tastycackes. To us it sounds more like a rock band, but this dish consisting of sausage and mashed potatoes is popular pub fare in England. Good thing this food doesn’t have any familiar felines in it. Black pudding sounds like a delicious chocolate dessert, but don't let the name fool you. - Chris from Girard Estates in Philadelphia, PA. Amen. Check out words from the year you were born and more! 11 Unintentionally Sexual Food Names. - Gabriel from Northern Liberties in Philadelphia, PA. The name came from the fact that it looks like the feathers of a hen.

The name feels very dishonest, just come out and say you like sheep testicles. Not knowing could lead to some seriously disgusting culinary mishaps if you’re not careful. The name comes from the fact that the ingredients are “creamed” together. I ate it and enjoyed it, but that joy was fleeting as I was told later by a douche canoe cousin that calamari is squid. I need help understanding how this name caught on. What does lion taste like? If the prettiness of the name itself doesn’t convince you, consider that Emily Blunt and John Krasinski named their first bb Hazel. Traditionally, mincemeat contained meat, but modern recipes opt for fruits and spices. It means “wise and knowing.”. Oddly enough, headcheese isn't cheese at all. The required accent to pronounce this item intimidates me. It also means “son of the earth.”, Calling to mind those pretty French cookies (and also meaning, quite literally, “woman from Magdala”), Madeleine is ranked #376. Bon apetit? I wonder why it never caught on? - Nicholas from East Passyunk in Philadelphia, PA. What were they thinking when they named this? Sign up for the Tasty newsletter today! Because the food itself is disgusting. Psst—we also rounded up a list of the most unique baby names if you’re interested in doing more name research. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user and thereby more valuable for publishers and third party advertisers. It’s pretty healthy, but not as packed full of protein as the name might suggest. Nothing makes me salivate like a wet bottom. - Vicki from West Norriton, PA. Sending out an SOS. This is the quintessential item on the funny food names list. This content is imported from {embed-name}. Funny Off Brand Soda Names. There was a shortage of pork in the United Kingdom, so they imported meat from Canada. This content is imported from Instagram. They are all hilarious. The origins of its name are unclear, but it's been suggested the source of the name could be either because the recipe used to contain cheese or because of the connected etymology of the words cheese and molded (molds are used to make headcheese). It's really a split sponge cake filled with custard and topped with chocolate glaze. Naturally, all of this is stuffed into an intestinal casing.

- Mike from Fairmount in Philadelphia, PA. Good thing this is not a TEDtalk. Did you know that the United States is the only place that calls back bacon “Canadian bacon”? writing a review on the FBL Facebook Page. A few examples of funny names are: Clever word puns are a popular choice when thinking of a good name, a few examples that come to mind are: Sherlock Bones, Mary Poppins, Santa Paws, Winnie The Poodle, Tim Slim, Guy Penis and many other of this like. If you would like to financially support the podcast, please consider donating. [My friend] has to always remind me how to say it! A dish that a vegetarian could safely order: melted cheese poured over toast or crackers. That's how they're used these days in tiramisu - and also how they're used in this 1820 poem by John Keats: "Fetch me that Ottoman, and prithee keep / Your voice low," said the Emperor, "and steep /Some lady's fingers nice in Candy wine". Juniper ranks at #281 and is given to both boys and girls; it’s a great nod to the earthy, piney flavors of your favorite drink. Have you ever gone to order something at a restaurant with an interesting name, but stopped because you didn’t know what’s in it? But you're going to wish it were. This dish is a classic Sichuan food that’s made using glass (clear) noodles – another misnomer if you ask us.

Popularized by the late Peaches Geldof, the British TV personality and model, this girl’s name is both hip and cute. The pears got their name from their farmer, Mr. Bishop. Daisy originally was primarily seen as a nickname for Margaret, but thanks to loads of pop-culture inclusions (The Great Gatsby, Driving Miss Daisy, Mystic Pizza, to name a few), it’s now a popular girl’s name all on its own. Virtual Babysitting Is Winning Over Parents, Why You Have Vivid Dreams During Quarantine, The Best Indoor Plants to Liven Up Your Home, Have a laugh at these silly-sounding menu items, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Let's Pick Out a Middle Name for Your BB Girl! That's why I never had the pleasure of tasting it. As you probably know, the Rocky Mountains are nowhere near the ocean—so how could you possibly get oysters from there? The quince fruit itself may be a bit lumpy and oddly shaped, but it sure does make for a cute name for babies of any gender. I too tried calamari for the first time without realizing it was squid. Maybe you saw a cooking show on TV, and the chef pulled out a weird ingredient that looked nothing like you expected. If you enjoyed this content, please consider writing a review on the FBL Facebook Page. But it does sound funny and the spelling makes no sense to an ignorant American. Hen of the woods is a mushroom that grows at the base of trees. And saying it wrong is fun too! If you’re a literary buff, you’ll know that Fig was the name of a character in Curtis Sittenfield’s novel Man of My Dreams. And call it red sausage, crimson sausage, plasma sausage ... anything but "blood" sausage.

For some reason suburbanites love this trick. The information they store is not sent to Pixel & Tonic or any 3rd parties. Sitting at #431 is Basil, which, as we all know, tastes delicious on all the things, including pastas, salads, and pizzas. In the UK, this dish is often served with breakfast. Enjoy our streams, podcasts, and videos; plus connect with fans.

Geoduck (pronounced gooey-duck) is not a duck, but a three-pound softshell clam that is found in the Pacific Ocean. It is NOT sher-beRt!- Kevin from Redmond, WA. This food is actually a sausage that’s made of curdled pigs’ blood, pig fat, onions, oats, and seasoning. But for sure hilarious. It ranks at #159, and I assume we have Reese Witherspoon to thank in part for its success. Photo: Martin Jacobs/Getty Images. Whether or not you’re a fan of the classic sushi accoutrement, Roe is an adorable name that’s most often used for girls. Spikes During Presidential Debate, Set your young readers up for lifelong success, Study Up With Our Official SCRABBLE Dictionary, 11 Words Used to Great Effect by Edgar Allan Poe. How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words? Black pudding sounds like a delicious chocolate dessert, but don't let the name fool you. Both candidates will continue fracking, coyote Alot Health This goes double when you consider some regional dishes that have…well, saying interesting names doesn’t do it justice. Thank you to all the listeners that submitted to the polls and suggested these names. The name is thought to have been inspired by its contrast to angels on horseback, which are oysters—whose curled edges resemble wings––wrapped in bacon. With apologies to Hannibal Lecter, these are merely sponge cakes in a delicate fingerlike form. The noodles were branches, the chopped scallions were tree leaves, and the bits of ground meat as ants. Everyone knows a buffalo wing is actually the wing section from a chicken. And it makes for a cute name for both boys and girls. I legit can not say this word right. Learn a new word every day.

50 Menu Items Fast Food Workers Say Never to Order, Restaurant Chains That Won’t Make It Through the Year. A sweet and spicy name for a boy, Dijon is the capital city in the Burgundy region of France, which is famous for its wine and, yep, mustard. I don't order what I can't say out loud. Categories: These oval delicacies are the testicles of any of various animals - sheep, bull calf, mountain goat - found in the Rockies. Nobody can say it properly. The name comes from the sounds the food—often pork, ham, sweet potatoes and root vegetables––makes when it's frying in the pan. Do you know what languages these words come from? The name translates from Arabic to mean “date from India,” so your little Tamarind might have some traveling in her future. This pie is actually a crème pie with mint – or crème de menthe. The name is famously associated with the badass Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. From the name alone sweet breads should taste how it sounds. This doesn’t sound like a food at all, but more like something you would try to catch on Pokemon Go. Photo: Will Heap/Getty Images.

This dish toast topped with scrambled eggs and anchovy paste. The mountain men of the Old West were known for robust humor. Photo: Dorling Kindersley/Getty. The name probably came from the mid-1800s. Anyone from Kentucky can tell you that burgoo is a stew made from multiple meats simmered with veggies. Notice something missing? The first name of our former POTUS—a name he inherited from his Kenyan father—is also a Hungarian brandy made from apricots. By comparing the most-recent set of newborn names against a list of 25,369 foods (mined from Wikipedia), we did find 30 other gourmet names that were given to American babies in 2013. This section of meat comes from the upper part of the shoulder from the front leg. Despite the name, it’s actually a drink that consists of a raw egg, Worcestershire sauce, tomato juice, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and ground black pepper. The Sometimes-Sweet, Sometimes-Unsavory Story Behind Some Bizarre Foods.