laments how the profession of an executioner is grossly misunderstood. Also, the actors know at every moment what to do. Luis Garcia Berlanga, Rafael Azcona, Ennio Flaiano. Co-written by one of the prominent Spanish screenwriter and ¨El Verdugo¨ (1963), one of the undisputed masterpieces and fundamental in filmography of Luis Garcia Berlanga where shows the miseries of an amoral society and shot at the height of his creativity, in a period cultural difficult, where the enormous censorship of the political regime, exacerbated the ingenuity and imagination of the scriptwriters . |, October 27, 2016 Berlanga’s long-time collaborator, Mr. Rafael Azcona, the script extracts lot

In ¨el Verdugo¨ we can find very fun characters, all of them caricatures of the "spanish way of life" and a mirror on the Spanish society by that time .

and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes and Fandango. Life goes on pleasantly in his new home until one day he receives the feared telegram: he must execute a convicted man.The story, filmed in a black and white photography that feels so fresh, sounds serious because below the comical surface, lies not only the serious subject matter of death penalty but also the wide spread pessimism caused by Franco's regime. without being a full-blown satire or farce. Interesting subject matter. My reaction is one of both, for the ambiguous ending serves as both a punchline and a bone chilling reminder of the unpredictable tragedies hidden deep within the human experience. Spanish writer-director Luis García Berlanga's eighth feature film is a Spain-Italy co-production, stars Italian matinée idol Nino Manfredi as an unassuming undertaker, José Luis Rodríguez, whose marriage prospect is not so encouraging due to his profession. All Critics (3) Don’t worry, it won’t take long. Fiercely funny and unapologetically black, "The Executioner" is among the most entertaining comedies that I have ever seen. Luis García Berlanga's El Verdugo (The Executioner) was recently named the second greatest Spanish film of all time yet it still remains unknown to many non-Spanish people. Manfredi plays an undertaker's hapless assistant who marries the executioner's daughter, then discovers that they can keep their precious apartment only if he agrees to become his father-in-law's successor. Full of sharp and disturbing insights into the corrupt world engendered by the Francoist mentality, the film's build-up to its terrifying conclusion - when Manfredi, as the new executioner, is dragged literally kicking and screaming to perform his duty - is inexorable. Of course, there are the obvious interesting juxtapositions; an executioner's daughter giving birth - to the child of an undertaker being forced unwillingly into giving and taking lives. Through morbid themes and distressing issues, this masterpiece of the macabre is one of Spanish cinema's many miracles. The movie displays a Spanish secondary star-studded such as : Maria Luisa Ponte , Jose Maria Prada , Angel Alvarez , Xan Das Bolas , Alfredo Landa , Agustin Gonzalez , Chus Lampreave , Jose Saza , Julia Caba Alba , Antonio Ferrandis , Jose Luis Coll , Felix Fernandez , Jose Orjas and the likable Jose Luis Lopez Vazquez who improvised the moment when measured the child's head , among others . Every scene is filled with small observations and asides that add something memorable, and every bit character in every scene tosses in some little bit of "business" that is not necessary for the plot, but enriches it and deepens the believability of the world in which it is set.Watching this made me think on how, if this film had been made at the same time outside of Europe, the British would have probably made it as a crass Carry On movie, and the Americans would most likely have turned it into a Jerry Lewis vehicle, without any subtlety, thoughtfulness, sensuality, societal commentary or beauty, and yet this is funnier than any of those put together, too.The wedding scene is hilarious, with so much going on at every moment outside of the dialogue, and the "wave to daddy" line on the docks is priceless.It's always a comedy, and yet one in which the viewer is never allowed to escape the oppressive moral weight of taking another's life, and the inability to look away from this increases as it goes along, until the ending borders on harrowing.It's a film that really should be as well known as some of those by Fellini, and I'm eager now to see more by its mischevious writer and director, Luis Garcia Berlanga. Jose’s wedding sequence A masterpiece in my opinion. I don't know if he was a genius, I just can say that there will never be another actor like him.Berlanga + Azcona: an unbeatable team. Don't have an account? The only victims, it suggests, are those that accept to practise inhumanity under the name of justice.

The speedy verbiage adds a lot of colorful shades to the humor. enjoyed by viewers all around the world.

It achieves this by showing the act of killing a person as what it is, such an unnatural and repulsive thing that for most of us it would be impossible to perform. Many satires have the unfortunate flaw of paying much more attention to their message than the quality of their script, characters, and plot; "The Executioner" shares all of these traits.

The percentage of users who rated this 3.5 stars or higher. a new executioner is born.On the horns of a dilemma, José's predicament is wittily delineated through Berlanga's delightful verve, exerts a realistic spin on the irony of life, how one's ideal having been gradually crushed by the twist of fate. Interesting topics on paper but the film isn't worth the 87 minutes.

And, as an executioner, that is exactly the role that Jose Luis (Nino Manfredi) sees himself thrown into. Film is released in 1963-09-01 by Interlagar Films, Naga Films, Zebra Film, . Beneath the comedic edge, Berlanga ", "Everyone ends up in the same damned place. and the Terms and Policies, It's one of the great black comedies I have seen, a fierce yet hilarious critique on the death penalty. Forcing its lead character to choose between traumatizing himself and living a life of poverty, Berlanga is masterfully able to turn transform tragedy into farce.While the constant comedy may seem to some as no more than silly distraction from the social commentary, I sensed not only a consistent sense of farcical satire in the masterwork, but also a consistent sense of dread and awareness. Every scene tells a deeper story and how we are usually forced to follow the paths we do not know and we do not want.All along, while the middle class is struggling, trying to keep the head above the water, they are victimized in moral sense once again. Strangely deep and precise.

The Border [1982] – A Taut Crime Melodrama, Oliver Stone : Controversial and Radical Auteur. $2.99.

We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your account. © 2020 Time Out England Limited and affiliated companies owned by Time Out Group Plc. Beyond the black and social critiques, there are some highly likable characters and a flat-out amazing premise, satirical or not.Chaotic, sad, and laugh-out-loud hilarious in equal measure, it is hard to determine whether "The Executioner" is a work that leaves an imprint of joy or sorrow.

I only can say... using their imagination. [Full review in Spanish]. From . Pssst, want to check out El verdugo in our new look? Perhaps the reason it's so unknown is due to the fact that it was released during the Spanish dictatorship lead by General Franco and this did not permit it to get an international recognition and viewing. PLEASE see this film if you can, you will never forget it.