Females have blush of bright blue near base of tails. Since ancient times butterflies, along with dragonflies and bees have been perhaps, the most universally cherished insects by human cultures around the world. US Forest Service, FM-RM-VE

Intermediate Female, Horseshoe Bend Preserve, Hunterdon Co., NJ, 7/31/13.

There are also populations in several Mexican states. Photo by Penny Stritch.

Washington DC 20250-1103, Pollinator-Friendly Best Management Practices, Native Plant Material Accomplishment Reports, Fading Gold: The Decline of Aspen in the West, Wildflowers, Part of the Pagentry of Fall Colors, Tall Forb Community of the Intermountain West, North American Butterfly Association (NABA), Strategic Planning, Budget And Accountability, Recreation, Heritage And Volunteer Resources, Watershed, Fish, Wildlife, Air And Rare Plants. We didn’t have enough space to add full-grown trees, so we stuck with some smaller host options. Submarginal yellow line on FW is interrupted by black into separate spots (this line is continuous on Canadian).

Postal Service ® will issue the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Non-machineable Surcharge Rate, (Non-denominated priced at 71 cents), in one design, in a pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) pane of 20 stamps (Item 117800).. Copyright © 2017 NABA-North Jersey Butterfly Club. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Swallowtails are very large insects. does not endorse extermination, Anise Swallowtail and unidentified Blue from Oregon, Western Tiger Swallowtail in Mount Washington. Dark Female, Fairview Farm, Somerset Co., NJ, 8/21/12, on Field Thistle. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Middle instar larva of Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Mailstop Code: 1103

Psyche was the embodiment and deification of the human soul. September 9, 2012 6:47 pm The Western Tiger Swallowtail tends to hang out close to water, along canyons and even in our beloved city parks.

I have wondered about the reason for the areas of blue on some. Your site is a great resource to me for information and confirming my possibles.

I had so many that I could not name and I spent a lot of time trying to find them on your site. 2, The HW of Appy is very long and “stretched”-looking.

I still have a couple I can not find in there. I broke down and bought a Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. The round,green eggs undergo a transformation and eventually change to yellowish green, marked with red dots. The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (Papilio glaucus) is one of the most common and beautiful eastern butterflies. I have a question about the Tiger Swallowtails. Female, Fredon Twp., Sussex Co., NJ, 7/24/10, on Hoary Mountain-Mint.

Easily attracted to gardens with flowers such as Butterfly Bush, Purple Coneflower, Wild Bergamot, and milkweeds. The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (Papilio glaucus) is one of the most common and beautiful eastern butterflies. Can you guess why? Females lay their large green eggs singly on plants in the Magnolia and rose families. There are at least five recognized Tiger Swallowtail species:  Pale Tiger Swallowtail, Western Tiger Swallowtail, Canadian Tiger Swallowtail, Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail and Eastern Tiger Swallowtail as well as a similarly marked western species known as the Two Tailed Swallowtail. In many cases, there is less black and more yellow on Appy, as compared with Eastern (visible here). Subject: Tiger Swallowtails Now, instead of a harmless caterpillar, we or a bird or small mammal, are confronted with something very different: a snake’s head with glaring eyes a nose and mouth! Leaves of Tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera). I know there is an Eastern, a Western, light phase, dark phase and so on. If disturbed, the caterpillar is a quick-change artist. The Greek word ‘psyche’ is interwoven with the concept of spirit or breath, an animating life force in humans, and other animals. I live in Kentucky and around the area I have seen different colors on the Tiger Swallowtails. On June 1, 2015, in Kansas City, MO, the U.S. Common and widespread throughout.

Thanks again. Aphids, Scale Insects, Leafhoppers, and Tree Hoppers, Fungus Beetles and Pleasing Fungus Beetles, Pantry Beetles, Grain Weevils, Spider Beetles, Meal Worms and Carpet Beetles, Crickets, Camel Crickets and Mole Crickets, Sow Bugs, Pill Bugs, Isopods, Lawn Shrimp and Amphipods, Hummingbird Moths, Sphinx Moths or Hawk Moths, Pantry Moths, Clothes Moths, Case-Bearers and Meal Moths, Neuropterans: Lacewings, Antlions, and Owlflies, What's That Bug?

By Stephen Buchmann, Pollinator Partnership. Eastern tiger swallowtail female (upperside). Two are from 2010, and one from 2011. If touched or pecked by a lizard, bird, or inquisitive human, the larvae evert a set of bright orange glands (the osmeteria) from the neck region. Identification: Very large—nearly 5" (much larger than Monarch).

I brought eggs and caterpillars of western swallowtails home, raising them until they pupated and adults emerged as one of North America’s showiest butterflies. Humble “worms” changing into winged creatures before their eyes similarly awed the ancients. Blue on females visible. The black morphs also have the bluish and red wing scales on their hind wings. The summer brood is usually far larger than the spring brood. Later, as they mature, the caterpillars turn bright green and have two amazing black, yellow, and blue false eyespots on the thorax above and behind their true eyes. Identification: Very large—nearly 5" (much larger than Monarch). You will receive a new password via e-mail. The bottom edges of the hind wings are especially colorful with bluish scales and one or more red spots. NJ Status and Distribution: Resident. The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly is the state butterfly of Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, and South Carolina.

This level is mimicry is astonishing and has been commented upon by many surprised naturalists. When I started taking random pictures of bugs, I never realized there were so many kinds. Ask Question + 100. Janet, Your email address will not be published. Entomologists still do not understand all of the details of the process especially in the pupa when the larval cells are reshuffled into adult organs. Still have questions? Dear Staff, Extreme dates: North Jersey 4/1—10/19; South Jersey 3/31—10/15. Male, Willowwood Arboretum, Morris Co., NJ, 8/4/07, on Field Garlic. Female, Kittatinny Valley SP, Sussex Co., NJ, 8/13/11, on New York Ironweed. Their butterfly life cycle also takes up to 2 months, so the odds are stacked against northern gardeners wanting to raise them with fewer generations and more plants to search!

Their colors are vibrant. Adults of both sexes take nectar from a wide variety of native and exotic garden plants. But I am happy to report most of my photos do have names.

It is a striking butterfly, with impressive large yellow and black wings, and spots of blue and orange near its tail. I know there is an Eastern, a Western, light phase, dark phase and so on. Other differences: 1. Dark females are most common in late summer but sometimes arrive in May/June. Flight Period: Early April to mid-October with peaks in May to early June, and July to mid-August. She is often depicted in ancient statues and tile mosaics as a beautiful young woman with butterfly wings. Subject: Tiger Swallowtails Location: Western Kentucky September 9, 2012 6:47 pm Dear Staff, I have a question about the Tiger Swallowtails. The true head of the caterpillar is small, inconspicuous, and tucked under the body. Interestingly, there is a black morph, where black replaces the broad yellow expanses. Females have blush of bright blue near base of tails. Broad yellow wings are edged by black and with four stripes, like tapering chevrons from the forewing margins downward into the yellow wings. They are 0.8 mm and 1.2 mm in height and width respectively. Dark individuals, which are always females, can range from dusky to nearly black, but in most cases a "ghost" tiger pattern is clearly visible on the undersides of the wings. Habitat: Open, sunny, upland fields and wet meadows. Black stripe along inner wings paralleling body (also visible below) is thinner than on Canadian Tiger.

From Greek mythology, Psyche was the embodiment and deification of the human soul. To further complicate things, BugGuide reports hybrids that might occur where the ranges of the different species overlap. What's That Bug? Location: Western Kentucky The Western Tiger Swallowtail is a common butterfly in the Western U.S., closely resembling its counterpart, the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Smaller lower=Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Although they are solitary creatures, often flying high in the treetops, you can sometimes spot a special sight when a group of swallowtail males is “puddling.” Male butterflies come together at damp places in the soil and drink water.

Male Tiger Swallowtails generally have darker blacks and none of the bluish and red scales on their hind wings. Each time I find a giant swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes) on a citrus branch in my yard, I am amazed at the early and late mimicry (first a bird dropping, then a snake head) and how natural selection has evolved the intricate warning displays, a visual shout of “Back Off!”. You can also subscribe without commenting. Unlike milkweed-obsessed monarchs, the eastern tiger swallowtail will lay eggs on a wide range of host plants. Individuals can be found anywhere east of the Mississippi river and a bit farther west into the Great Plains states. We believe your individuals are Eastern Tiger Swallowtails.

Source(s): https://shrinks.im/bagdf. 0 0. Get your answers by asking now. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Eggs keekeepod.files.wordpress.com.

The water contains sodium ions and various amino acids, which appear to allow them to live longer. 0 0. will not do your child's homework, Fanmail: WTB?

The stamp will go on sale nationwide June 1, 2015.

Individuals can be found anywhere east of the Mississippi river and a bit farther west into the Great Plains states.

Presumably, birds and other potential predators are put off by this impressive “snake in caterpillar’s clothing” mimetic display and the swallowtail is spared. This species is commonly seen from spring to fall and produces two broods in the north, and three life cycles in the southeastern states. Appy ground color, especially above, tends to be a pale yellow, often noticeably lighter than the medium yellow of Eastern. Western parts of the United States and the southern regions of The species is similar to the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail ( Papilio glaucus ) of eastern N. America and is found mostly between sea level and 5000 ft. (1500 m.). Thanks so much for taking the time to answer me. Signature: Janet Fox. Hi Janet,

Papilio glaucus. Like many boys, caterpillars fascinated me. Anonymous.

Your email address will not be published. Dark Female, Jenny Jump SF, Warren Co., NJ, 8/11/12, on Teasel. Black stripe along inner wings paralleling body (also visible below) is thinner than on Canadian Tiger.

I live in Kentucky and around the area I have seen different colors on the Tiger Swallowtails. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Daniel, I have been taking pictures of bugs for a few years now. Trending Questions. 1400 Independence Ave., SW These produce a foul-smelling blend of defensive acid secretions that are wiped onto the attacking animal. Below: Yellow and black colors more muted. Common host plants include tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) and wild black cherry (Prunus serotina) and sweet bay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana). Please enter your username or e-mail address. 4 years ago. When basking in the sun, their outspread wings can be 8 to 14 cm (3 to 5.5 inches) from tip to tip. Larval Food Plants: Black Cherry (Prunus serotina) and Tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera), both of which are common native trees of upland deciduous forests. Watchung Res., Union Co., NJ, 8/21/12, on Field Thistle. Avery Co. 2014-05 .