I think there is a pretty good market for software developers, and having a CS degree will get you in the door. A huge amount of getting a programming job is in your demonstrable skill. In addition to a chat thread that's newly spawned every day, we have a daily rotation for threads for certain topics. Here we discuss careers in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and related fields. I've always had an inclination to computers and technology, but I've never taken seriously the idea of majoring in CS. Good luck to you in your journey. These are the old responses to the previous survey. I've been having a hard time finding a programming positions at software companies locally and wanted to know if there are entry level programming jobs that are easy to get because I've been living at home and it's getting depressing I could really use a job. Mobile Application Development. The majority of people I seriously consider tell me they've been fascinated by computers since they were kids and that they program because they love it. Good luck! 1.9k. I was thinking of switching careers, because right now I'm in a critical point in my life where I have to decide and get serious about my education. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. Press J to jump to the feed.

Job Growth, … Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Check out this awesome "quick answers to common questions" thread. Press J to jump to the feed.

Archived. What in the fuck is that supposed to mean? Basically, you need a portfolio. Also everything could be like super easy until some points and gets crazy complex and hard to deal with after awhile, like being a "Web Developer". Just tell them you're a recent grad, looking for a challenging and exciting opportunity and really want to learn and stuff like that. I'm lucky to have family in these cities with open rooms. Eg.

Posts must be related to computer science careers, Posts must show thought, effort, and research, Some questions belong in daily stickied threads, Survey or data-collecting posts need mod approval, Promotional or advertising threads are only allowed in the monthly stickied threads, Posts must contain a question or foster discussion, Comments should be professional and helpful, Use ModMail instead of PMing moderators if you have issues. A bachelors is the way to set yourself ahead of the competition. Very easy. I am looking for front-end or web based junior positions. Try San Diego. Make sure you have your resume straightened up. Some seem really good pay wise, others seem like they would be stuff I could do without a degree, yet require one anyhow and pay poorly. It'll be easier to get an entry level development job at a non tech company, especially if you're a new grad. I did this last week and have 2-3 phone screens lined up for this week.

r/Jobs is not for job listings. Just do a job search for programmers and developers.

Name & Shames are only for behavior that is blatantly unethical, illegal, or exceptionally shitty. The next job profile on the list is Big Data Engineer. Got my A.S. (not even a Bachelor's) in Computer Science, and suddenly I was hirable. I'm graduating in December and I'm wondering which city (if it matters) I would have the best chance to find a job. I any case today, a degree increases your chances as it is almost impossible to find a good paying job without one today unless you know someone or get lucky. … You can usually copy and paste the same email. Usually the jobs are also posted by senior engineers and if they like what they see, they will give you a reference at their company. Take a look at this thread to see what it's all about. If you want to do back end web-dev, for example, you need to have a basic understanding of HTML/CSS, but need to have a very good understanding of one-two back end languages like PHP, C#, etc. Database administrators analyze and evaluate the data needs of users. I've never hired anyone who told me they got into it because it seemed like a good career track. The first question I ask everyone I interview is why they're interested in software development, or how they got into it. You don't even really need a degree, just show some interest in programming and indicate that you're pursuing a degree, that was enough to get me a job. Database Administrator. You can find past threads here. There’s still stuff out there, best of luck, Edit: sorry to ghost! Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. CSCQ regular u/Kevincav runs a discord called CS Career Hackers. Yeah, and that last sentence is a problem. The better the FAQ, the harder we can come down on lazy posters with low-effort OPs, which means a higher quality subreddit experience for you.