So were the hard-luck Nets, a team that hadn't made the playoffs in the six years prior to Petrovic's arrival. If there is any GoFundMe page created or any information you think we should know about, kindly use the comment section. "Then all of a sudden she disappeared anyway. He was on the brink of something special in the NBA. "I used to be a national basketball player. The grave of Dražen Petrović at Mirogoj in Zagreb. ", Latest Election Results as the votes are counted in key states, Nevada election official says he’s worried for staffers' safety as vote count continues, 'Stay calm’: Biden calls for patience with election results and vows to steer U.S. out of ‘terrible’ pandemic, Count. While the NBA is flooded with fantastic European superstars these days, that once wasn’t the case. Author: Steve Rukavina I didn't drive the car and I have to suffer all this," she says. Her tragic story was lost, not only in the immediate aftermath, but also in the ensuing years of stories and documentaries. Drazen died, it's really horrible, I know, but if he would have survived, I don't know how it would have been for him," Edebal says. Playing and starting all 82 games in the 1991-1992 season, Petrovic averaged a team-high 20.6 points per game and led the Nets to their first postseason berth in six years. Petrović was regarded a crucial part of the present-day mass influx of European players into the NBA. Coleman's attitude and physique deteriorated. "We were on the right track," Reed says. The team retired his jersey in 1993, nine years before his induction into the Hall of Fame. What is known is that she returned to modeling and to playing basketball. "I guess it just was not meant to be.". (Petrovic and I) were too, too young. 7 June 2019 – 26 years ago today Croatia lost arguably one of its greatest ever sportsmen. Why was she even in Germany while enrolled in college in the United States? Although funeral arrangements have yet to be announced, it goes without saying the family is dealing with a devastating loss and could use your support.

Petrovic, who was sleeping, flew out of the front window. Toni Kukoc and the Forgotten Yugoslavian National Team Were One of the Main Reasons the Dream Team Was Created in the First Place. In 2002 he was posthumously enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, and the following year was voted the best European Basketball player in history, by players at the 2013 FIBA EuroBasket. Voted the Best European Basketballer in History, Petrović enjoyed an illustrious career with the New Jersey Nets, averaging 20.6 points in 36.9 minutes on the floor, and nearly leading all NBA guards in field goal percentage (51%). Coming off the bench on a guard-heavy Blazers team that featured Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter, Petrovic struggled to adapt to the role. "It's been a tough time. Before making his way to the NBA, Drazen Petrovic was a huge star in his home country of Croatia. Everything could have been different. Many Americans over the age of fifty will remember vividly, the "Miracle on Ice" and what Sports Illustrated called the greatest sports upset of all times.... (Photo: Stjepan Hauser/Facebook) Nicknamed ‘Basketball’s Mozart’, Dražen was born in Šibenik on 22 October 1964.

Voted the Best European Basketballer in History, Petrović enjoyed an illustrious career with the New Jersey Nets, averaging 20.6 points in 36.9 minutes on the floor, and nearly leading all NBA guards in field goal percentage (51%). Drazen Petrovic had proved just about everything he could in Europe and wanted to see how his game matched up against the best players in the world. Attempts to reach her in Germany were unsuccessful. She is hoping for the best, less than two weeks into her latest job as a tourism organizer in Istanbul. 24 years ago today Croatia lost arguably one of its greatest ever sportsmen. At approximately 5:20 p.m., they encountered a truck that had crashed through the guard rails and was blocking all lanes of traffic. His head hit the truck's diesel tank and he died instantly. No matter where I went, my parents had to drive me there and back.". The day will start at 10:30 am with the laying of flowers at Drazen’s monument. Reed had a five-year extension offer on the table for Petrovic, a free agent who also was entertaining a $4 million-per-year offer from a team in Greece, Panathinaikos. © Copyright 2020 Endgame360 Inc. All Rights Reserved. "I don't give up because I want to work," She says. Biography - A Short Wiki. Do you have anything to say or condolence messages to share. Edebal took the trip as a favor to Szalantzy, a longtime friend and former basketball teammate, who wanted company for the 250-mile trek from Munich to the airport in Frankfurt. Szalantzy's tale is more difficult to tell because she has declined requests to speak on the subject. They picked up Petrovic, who had arrived with the Croatian national team following a European Championships qualifying game in Poland. Drazen Petrovic Funeral | Obituary Arrangements. They said, 'She can survive.'". That's Edebal's biggest regret stemming from the accident. Nicknamed ‘Basketball’s Mozart’, Dražen was born in Šibenik on 22 October 1964. In 43 games with the Nets, he upped his average to 12.6 points in just over 20 minutes per game, one of the NBA’s best points-per-minute ratios. The brain damage casts a heavy fog. Drazen Petrovic Death – Obituary: Drazen Petrovic has left friends, family and loved ones heart-broken as the news surrounding the death of Drazen Petrovic was announced. The grave of Dražen Petrović at Mirogoj in Zagreb. May the deceased rest in peace. I had lost my memory completely. Our mission is to gather Croatians in Cleveland at common events, to encourage communication and networking and help the Croatian community make progress by sharing news and business opportunities. What remains for the 41-year-old woman are huge gaps of empty space, mental lapses and problems maintaining a job. The day will start with the laying of flowers at Dražen’s monument. The day will start with the laying of flowers at Dražen’s monument. He also spent one season with Real Madrid in Spain, averaging 28.5 points per game. Her dreams were halted at 23, and then Edebal returned to a place she couldn't recognize, and a life requiring long-term physical and mental rehabilitation. He did not miss a single game. The Blazers shipped him to the New Jersey Nets, where he thrived alongside rookie star Derrick Coleman.