Meaning: Filled with melancholy and despondency. He climbed down to the bottom of the ladder. Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content. It was written by two female songwriters and blues artists, Alberta Hunter and Lovie Austin. Alberta Hunter used to sing it during her engagement at the Chicago Dreamland Cafe, where she performed with Joe "King" Oliver's band. Get unrestricted access to all the English-Learning Units! The teacher's gaze travelled slowly down the line of children. [1] The board selects songs in an annual basis that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." See Synonyms at. A question about whether an individual feels or felt downhearted and blue. In the morning he was downhearted again, and would have sustained himself by giving me all the money he had in his possession, gold and silver too, if my aunt had not interposed, and limited the gift to five shillings, which, at his earnest petition, were afterwards increased to ten. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. A question about whether an individual has or had been in firm control of their behavior, thoughts, emotions, or feelings. For instance, "I feel downhearted and blue " translated by an equivalent of "I feel downhearted and sad" or "I feel downhearted and depressed". Get XML access to fix the meaning of your metadata. drífa sig í að gera e-ð, koma sér að verki. en.wiktionary.2016 [adjective] sad, discouraged, in low spirits, unhappy, having no hope. The English word games are: Tips: browse the semantic fields (see From ideas to words) in two languages to learn more. Boggle gives you 3 minutes to find as many words (3 letters or more) as you can in a grid of 16 letters. Most English definitions are provided by WordNet . Add new content to your site from Sensagent by XML. Familiarity information: DOWNHEARTED used as an adjective is very rare.

Blues singer Bessie Smith recorded the song with piano accompaniment by Clarence Williams on February 16, 1923.

Privacy policy The first line immediately sets the theme for the song: "Gee but it's hard to love someone when that someone don't love you". (Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson). ○   Anagrams "Downhearted Blues" is a blues song composed by Alberta Hunter and Lovie Austin. كوزې خواته، كښتې خواته، ځوړې خواته، مخ په ځوړ, कोई व्यक्ति जिसके पास ना तो कोई धन है और ना ही उसके अर्जन का कोई साधन, allslaus og athvarfslaus; útigangsmaður, allsleysingi, كَئيب، هابِط المَعْنَويه، مُنْكَسِر النَّفْس, لوېدنه، غور ځېدنه، كښېوتنه، پرېوتنه، سقوط، زوال: دګڼ باران او رېدنه, مُكْتَئِب، هابِط المَعْنَوِيَّه، مُنْقَبِض الصَّدْر. adj filled with melancholy and despondency. Cookies help us deliver our services. ○   Lettris That arrangement will suit me down to the ground. Word Family. Down Hearted Blues Lyrics: Gee, but it's hard to love someone when that someone don't love you! "Downhearted Blues" has been recorded by numerous other musicians, including[7] Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra, Eva Taylor, Lucille Hegamin, Edna Hicks, Hazel Meyers, Mildred Bailey & Her Alley Cats, Cab Calloway & His Orchestra, Teddy Wilson, Kid Ory, Juanita Hall, Ella Fitzgerald, Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys (sung by Wills, a longtime Bessie Smith fan), Son House, and Teresa Brewer. The recipe has been handed down in our family for years. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/downhearted, Low in spirit; depressed. [4] The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame identified it as one of the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock". This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. AudioEnglish Definitions... Just One Click Away! A question about whether an individual is or has been in low or very low spirits. [4]. omegawiki. Christmas cards that says, From Donkey & family. See also blue funk , def.

Don’t have an account? 1922 song written by Alberta Hunter and Lovie Austin, Recording Industry Association of America, "Complete National Recording Registry Listing", "Librarian of Congress Names 50 Sound Recordings to the Inaugural National Recording Registry", "The Recording Industry Association of America Top 365 Songs of the Twentieth Century", "Grammy Hall of Fame Awards – Past Recipients", "Song search results for Downhearted Blues", Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Downhearted_Blues&oldid=953071950, United States National Recording Registry recordings, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox song with unknown parameters, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 25 April 2020, at 15:43. Double-click any word on the page to look it up in the dictionary. affected or marked by low spirits. Downhearted definition is - downcast, dejected. Hunter sang it during her engagement at the Dreamland Cafe, in Chicago, where she performed with Joe "King" Oliver's band. en.wiktionary.org. MEANINGS. A question about whether an individual feels or felt cheerful or lighthearted. Company Information [1], The National Recording Preservation Board included Smith's recording in the inaugural National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress in 2002. “feeling discouraged and downhearted ”. Get XML access to reach the best products. Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) Do you often feel downhearted and blue? See if you can get into the grid Hall of Fame ! sad. Lettris is a curious tetris-clone game where all the bricks have the same square shape but different content. (NCI Thesaurus). By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.   The adjective DOWNHEARTED has 1 sense: 1. filled with melancholy and despondency.

You can also review encouraging articles in The Watchtower and Awake! To make squares disappear and save space for other squares you have to assemble English words (left, right, up, down) from the falling squares.

5. See more. The best-performing single item was the one asking about "feeling downhearted and blue," which was also the case in the US [ 6]. Blue and Downhearted are synonymous, and they have mutual synonyms. Downhearted Blues Lyrics Bessie Smith – Downhearted Blues. Low in spirits. translation and definition "downhearted", Dictionary English-English online. A question about whether an individual feels or felt calm and peaceful. And as for number two, and why I made a bargain—well, you came crawling on your knees to me to make it—on your knees you came, you was that downhearted—and you'd have starved too if I hadn't—but that's a trifle!