Explain, with examples. You can't do that if you allow the government to be your editor or to be your censor. Congressman [Peter] King [R-N.Y.], [state] Sen. [Jake] Corman [R-Pa.] and the attorney general of the United States [Alberto Gonzales] think it's even more serious, that people should be prosecuted for espionage. We actually believe the press plays a valuable role for the American people and is a fundamental aspect of our democracy. So he should look in the mirror. What's your take on that?

I don't think I've broken any laws.

They would never think of going after him to get the information because they respect the confidentiality between a lawyer and a client. The strength of that commitment can also be measured by story play, by the kinds of people we hire, by the attention such journalism gets and by year-end measurements.

Why or why not?

What role can innovation play in a watchdog culture? That being said, I believe in my heart that if you went into a newsroom and said, "OK, who would like to do this big investigative piece, and who would like to cover the prom?," justifiably so, I think everybody in the room would raise their hand for the big investigative piece instead of the covering the prom. [10] [Former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card told The New Yorker that he doesn't believe the press serves a check-and-balance function, and the president's former media adviser Mark McKinnon told us he agrees.] Do newspapers today play a vigorous role as watchdogs of our powerful institutions? If anything this will become more prevalent as the companies will need the investors. We've always been accused of only communicating in 30-second sound bites.

Without the media, the American people won't have the type of information they need to hold their leaders to account.

Somebody has to be looking under the table and taking care of our communities and being the watchdog. There are not enough of them, because I think that's our role; that's how you get change. Do news media today play a vigorous role as watchdogs of our powerful institutions, or do they act more as extensions of partisan political interests? Should news media teach the public what to think or should they just report the facts? Watchdog journalism must go beyond big projects to become an attitude that permeates everything we do. The hard numbers they kept classified for a long time, until it's published in my book.

FRONTLINE series home + wgbh + pbs, posted feb. 13, 2007; last updated feb. 27, 2007, FRONTLINE is a registered trademark of wgbh educational foundation. It's good for voters, and it's good for the candidates. I would say that it's a misunderstanding of the role that the media plays in a democracy and in our country as a watchdog organization. Why or why not? News is virtual now. Why or why not? Why or why not?newspapers have on this watchdog role?" site map + press reaction + dvd/vhs & transcript + credits + privacy policy + journalistic guidelines Baran, S. J. The reply is the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

Get everyone on the same page — sometimes we can’t believe what some in the newsroom don’t know. Here's the question: "Do newspapers play a vigorous role as watchdogs of our powerful institutions?

They don't want an anchor telling you what it means. And he said, "Absolutely not." In your opinion, what are the news media doing well? What is a newspaper ’ s role in a democracy? ... Who are you, Brian Ross, to make a decision as to what should be known by the American public and not known by the American public? Those of us who have written about it -- tried to understand it, tried to understand the personalities and the evolution of the decision making -- live on confidential sources. But many times we did not serve that function well, and many times we have acted like the special interests that people like Bush and others -- Democrats or Republicans -- complained about. The press is not elected, so who's going judge which press outlet is the proper check and balance? And … Essentially we're doing what Al Qaeda had already planned to do. Do news media today play a vigorous role as watchdogs of our powerful institutions, or do they act more as extensions of partisan political interests? Objective Reporting Is today’s journalism advocacy journalism or is it objective reporting? The Watchdog Role of the Media - Media as the Fourth Estate By Leonard Ibrahimi The watchdog conception, according to which, the media is supposed to serve as a controller of government, is one among the oldest main beliefs in journalism. They should; they don’t — at least, not to the extent they did, say, during the Nixon administration. What he argues is that instead, the administration, by trying to run the war on terror out of its hip pocket, ... what they've done is missed the opportunity to build a national and even international consensus.