Especially with Best Ham off the Bone and ox tongue.

Buses (to Derker): 81, 83, 407, 410, and 411. Terms of Use

Never again shall supermarket muffins cross my threshold. Eddie: It all seems, but there’s one more thing I’m confused about: why does Tesco sell oven bottom muffins that are – technically speaking – barms, and English muffins? A bap or barmcake can be up to two inches thick. I love sourdough baking too… struggling to get hold of flour at the moment though!

I have used your recipe and it has worked a treat. Privacy Policy, To a large mixing bowl (or your stand mixer bowl) add the flour, sugar and yeast, butter and oil and combine using your hands until rough crumbs form, Next, pour in the warm water and milk and continue to knead/mix for 5 minutes - until all well combined and a dough has formed, Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with some cling film - allow to rise in a warm place for an hour - until doubled in size, Whilst the dough is rising, grease a baking tray with butter (you might need two trays, depending on their size and if you want 6 or 8 muffins), Once the dough has risen for an hour, lightly flour your work surface, Tip the dough onto the floured surface and divide into 6 even pieces. With a slightly softer crust than the previous entry and a liberal dusting of flour, they too lie in the Champions League of Oven Bottom Muffins. Take a clean chopping board (or similar flat surface) and lightly flour it, then press it down onto one of the balls, 11. A true oven bottom is flatter, yet soft and fluffy still! They are great toasted, with salad, cooked meats, and with a good soup. The Wonder of… B&M?

Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees. I’d advise next time adding a little bit less yeast now you know (perhaps like 4g?) I worked a Saturday (and Summer hols) job at Duncan and Foster’s Bakery in Oldham (there were two shops) between 1967 and 1970, Judith.

The first muffins you saw on entry were the American types. Now do a site showing where you can buy fresh Wimberries (bilberries) ! Born inOldham 89 years ago.

Wheat Flour (with Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Thiamin (B1), Niacin (B3)), Water, Yeast, Sugar, Salt, Vinegar, Rapeseed Oil, Soya Flour, Sustainable Palm Oil, Emulsifier (Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate), Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)). No wonder they sell fast in Ashton! I’m nearly 69 now and living in Hertfordshire but born in Waterhead Oldham. | Oven bottom muffins are my favourite type of ‘bun’, ‘bread roll’, or ‘barmcake’. There is no chocolate chips nor blueberries. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. : Indeed they do.

Thanks! Change ). Eddie: So they call them “barms” in central Manchester? Sep 25, 2016 - A blog by an Asian stay-at-home mum sharing recipes, travel experiences and thoughts on life.