BT: I would have definitely thrown up. “The back of the [truck] smacked the wall right over my front wheel,” Evans says. Photo provided by Debbie Evans.DE: Well, it depends on what we're doing. DE: Oh really?

“You know, my mom had always said to me you’ve really gotta’ stop being a tomboy. And then also doubling Carrie Anne Moss in The Matrix Reloaded. If you’ve seen Terminator 2, The Matrix Reloaded, Batman & Robin, or any of the hundreds of films she’s been a part of, then you’ve seen parts of the epic career this 59-year-old stunt woman still leads.

DE: Usually the coordinator gets all the toy cars out and has a diagram of what the streets look like or the area, and we have toy cars with all of our names on them, and we move them around to where... what's gonna happen through the scene. Photo provided by Debbie Evans. BT: How did you do the headstand on the seat stunt? Do Not Sell My Personal Information.

And it went against every grain in my body because I love anything active, running, jumping, climbing, surfing, waterskiing. But most of the time, the stunt coordinator, Andy Gill, has it all set, and we just have to get our parts down. Debbie Evans Stuntwoman Debbie Evans is considered one of Hollywood's top stunt women. In one particular chase scene, Evans was supposed to bring her bike right across from a truck, before ducking out as the truck slammed into the wall of a freeway. It's a lot easier now but it's still hard once you get in because there's so much competition. We've received your submission. On the dirt, in a very short time you get all of the coordination of the throttle and the clutch and the brake and shifting gears and what all that stuff does and then the different terrain and understanding when the rear wheel slides, what your body does counter-weighting and all of those things. “I always did this thing where I could stand on my head on the seat of the motorcycle while it was balancing, so Yamaha would send me around when I was in high school to the Houston Astrodome for the Camel Pro Series and the Supercross races at the Pontiac Silverdome and Anaheim Stadium,” she says. Debbie doubles for Jamie Lee Curtiss in an advertisement.

She looked enough like Trinity that most people never even noticed. RevZilla offers shipping to your location! Despite an 18-year break from stunt acting to raise her kids, she managed to stay in the game. July 31, 2017 | 12:18pm | Updated July 31, 2017 | 4:40pm. She began riding motorcycles in her hometown of Lakewood, California when she was six years old.

Evans was only 20, but she’d already made a name for herself as the first female expert motorcycle rider, with a sponsorship from Yamaha and trophies in competitions against the boys. So they took me to the hospital. Debbie's first movie stunt was jumping a 30-foot ravine on a Yamaha DT400 in Deathsport.

'” she laughs. or create an account

Debbie Evans remembers her first job as a stunt driver. “At one point, the stunt coordinator handed me a plexiglass broadsword and said, ‘Now I want you to run and jump off this embankment and swing the sword at the next motorcycle to go by. I have seven Torres World stunt awards, which is I think more than any of the guys. This job would be the beginning of a stunt career that would span decades. Your California Privacy Rights So it was a glancing blow, but I, you know, have pictures of the side of the car, and it's a pretty big dent in the side of that car. your ZillaCash Rewards on a future order with us! What are some of your biggest bragging rights? They had a semi truck trailer there so I just picked up the front wheel and banked it off the side of the semi truck and around Steve Martin and so it was really fun to be able to use those trials riding skills that I had practiced for so many years in the movie. Sara Mohazzebi Updated Jul. Debbie came along just in time for all of that to change. That's how it begins. It didn't hit the bike, but that trailer went right over the front wheel. Michelle Rodriguez Tells Us About Crazy 'Fast And Furious' Stunts Music Photo provided by Debbie Evans. Kris Jenner turns 65: See her evolution through the years, Lil Pump visits Doc Antle’s zoo in a MAGA hat after supporting Trump, PETA calls out celebrities who buy pets instead of adopting, © 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Dad lands job by putting résumé on a truck, DSW boots are buy one, get one 50 percent off, OkiOki is making serious waves in the affordable mattress market, Walmart’s best early Black Friday deals to shop right now, Sephora VIB sale's 19 top deals on royal beauty must-haves in 2020, 20 unique Christmas gift ideas for everyone on your 2020 list, Patrick Duffy and 'Happy Days' actress Linda Purl are dating. You'll also hear about special offers and events! Debbie on the Ducati 996 she got for her work on The Matrix Reloaded. This story has been shared 100,411 times. She was considered the best female observed trials rider in the United States, earning factory-backed sponsorship from Yamaha. She entered her first major race by age nine and by 15 she became the first woman ever to become a pro trials racer. By 1976, she became the first woman to reach the rank of expert, successfully competing against the men.

That's how long it took every single time. 312,100, This story has been shared 132,252 times. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Debbie Evans is one of Hollywood’s top stunt women.

She has also been inducted into the American Motorcyclist (AMA) Hall of Fame, The Hollywood Stuntman’s Hall of Fame and she has been given numerous other awards and nominations.

Please, Motocrosser to stunt rider to camera innovator in the movies, Judging the Portland Motorcycle Film Festival, Four TV and movie bikes you can buy to amaze and mystify your friends, Video: Making a motorcycle chase scene in "Deadpool". Evans, a 43-year veteran stunt driver, once got lectured about motorcycle tire pressure from a huffy “CHiPs”crew member in the late ’70s. Debbie would do exhibitions at the races before they started the main events. I was inducted into the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2003, and that I am very, very proud of. Whether you know it or not, you have probably seen Debbie Evans do some badass stuff. Please reference our International Shipping Policy for details. In the 1970s, Evans was considered the best female observed trials rider in the United States, earning factory-backed sponsorship from Yamaha.Evans was born and raised in Lakewood, California and learned to ride a motorcycle at the age of six. So after the movie, they were so excited about what I did, and I happened to mention that "Hey, I'd really some time love to have a Ducati. “Mission Impossible,” “Charlie’s Angels,” “Independence Day,” “Terminator 2″… She doubled on the motorbike for Alicia Silverstone in “Batman & Robin,” in the car for Angelina Jolie in “Mr. Debbie’s very first trophy, at age 9. It was extremely unnerving and scary. Stunt legend Debbie Evans, veteran of over 200 films including Terminator 2 and The Fate of the Furious, tells us what it takes to nail big screen action scenes. Today, “women can make mistakes just as well and as often as the men,” she laughs. It's so important. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Privacy Notice Debbie performs her headstand in front of 42,000 people at the Camel Pro Series race.

Evans joined in 2001 and — despite a brief break in the middle — has worked on almost every film, doubling for Michelle Rodriguez and working with the precision driving team to create the franchise’s breathtaking action sequences. And that's the closest I've ever come, you know? There's a point where the agent morphs into the truck driver, and they're going up on the right-hand side of the truck, and it morphs into the truck driver and the truck driver swerves to try and smash them between the wall, and we had practiced it about... well, I actually rode behind the truck and I said, "Do exactly what you're gonna do. We support and promote woman in the Action Entertainment industry. It was on a cult movie called “Death Sport,” a futuristic motorcross thriller that filmed in rural California in the late ’70s. Photo provided by Debbie Evans.DE: Oh, actually a stunt I did in The Jerk, the Steve Martin movie, that was a really cool thing because I got there and they said, “So, what can you do?” I had the Bultaco Sherpa T that we were using for the film and I went, “Well, do you have a Volkswagen I can ride over?” And some PA came over with his Volkswagen and said “You can ride over mine!” So I actually rode over this guy's car on the movie. BT: So it sounds like the stunt director already has sort of a vision, but you guys come in and kind of play it out?

DE: It's actually easier to get into now because when I got in you either had to have a Screen Actors Guild card or you had to know somebody who could get you in and I didn't have either one. This playlist of Vanity Fair women in action videos showcase women and others who work in the action entertainment industry including stuntwomen, actresses, directors and more. We start as soon as the sun comes up, and we work until the sun goes down. “Because when I was a kid I was teased for liking sports and riding motorcycles. Because you know, I'm really proud of the work. The men have always been able to crash a car by accident and just get another one, but if a woman made a mistake her reputation was ruined,” she says. So I was on the bike, and, you know, it went real good, probably four times. We were at the Alameda Naval Air Station up in Oakland that had been shut down, and they actually built an entire freeway on the runway. We worked for three months on that. So that night at the hotel I took the trash can and got some ice out of the freezer and put it in there, filled it up with water, and stuck my foot in about five times that night, for as long as I could stand it. I drove the Cadillac CTS and rode the Ducati 996 on that one. It was pretty amazing. Contact Info View agent, publicist, legal on IMDbPro Filmography. If you're ever in the spot where you do see a car that's turned in front of you and you know there's no way you're going to stop, before you hit that car jump as high and far as you can straight into the air. Debbie Evans remembers her first job as a stunt driver. Thanks for contacting us.

At the Camel Pro Series Race, she performed her balancing act and then wheelied all around the stadium in front of 42,000 people and got a standing ovation. Debbie worked tirelessly, honing her physical skills and abilities, performing just about every stunt possible, but she never steered far from her first love…motorcycles and cars! If the character that you're driving for is frantic, or drunk, or if they're rushing to get somewhere, or they're just kind of... going slow for any reason, you need to know all those things.