I think it is a beautiful song. Vice President Aaron Burr named a daughter Theodosia ("Dear Theodosia" is a song in the smash musical Hamilton), and it was the birth name of silent screen vamp Theda Bara. Then he did write it as a show himself, but kept “Mixtape” in the title — until about a year before Hamilton opened off-Broadway at the Public Theater in Manhattan. Dear Theodosia, what to say to you?

Aaron Burr & Alexander Hamilton

I don't think of Theodora as cutesie, but I do despise Dora or Dorrie. I also like the similarity to Ambrosia, making the name sound quite heavenly and feminine while being more wearable and easier to nickname. As “Usher’s vocals are just incredible,” Miranda says. If we lay a strong enough foundation, we'll pass it on to you. I love this name, especially with the nn Daisy! 22. And I thought I was so smart

Obsessed with Hamilton and most things Disney. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. During this week, the couple met a small dog that they eventually adopted and named Tobillo ("ankle" in Spanish), and Nadal's aunt passed away. Below, Miranda and collaborators like The Roots’s Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, Kelly Clarkson, Wiz Khalifa, and more share the stories behind their songs. The Hamilton Mixtape has gone through a handful of incarnations: Lin-Manuel Miranda conceived of Hamilton as a mixtape of songs about Alexander Hamilton’s life before he gave any thought to writing it as a Broadway show. “Riggs and I are both Latino,” Miranda says, “and we were like, it would be amazing to find a way to get Residente—maybe the most famous Spanish language rapper—on this mixtape.” (He also happens to be Miranda’s third cousin). I'll make a million mistakes Song 22 I’ll try and do it, but I can’t promise you I can get through the dang thing.’” In the end, Clarkson triumphed, but she says, “It was literally the hardest thing I’ve ever done in the studio!”, Miranda says his favorite evening during the making of Mixtape started with a phone call. Since green is the color of money, it's fitting to use that for our first secretary of the Treasury, but at this point in the story, Washington has not yet asked Hamilton to step into that role, which explains the vest instead of a jacket.

Lovely and sophisticated!

Oh, Philip, you outshine the morning sun [2] Yahoo.com declared this the "track of the day" for January 3, 2016, due to a recommendation by a reader who said "I love the way this song tenderly expresses the humbling experience of parenthood shared by two men—both quite roughened to the ways of the world and otherwise vehemently opposed. [3]. “I’ll put it this way: Half of the Beatles’ catalog is part blues, part Chuck Berry rock-n-roll, and a lot of Tin Pan Alley, Gershwin-era Broadway stuff. Miranda has written that this song is "the calm in the storm of our show, and it was the calm in the storm of my life in that moment. Someday, someday.

The suit is dark at first, almost black (once again, this is due to the lighting) as he is not running the Treasury. He's welcomed his first child with Eliza. Nothing but good things to say about it! They vow to be there for their children, to substitute for the absence of their fathers during their childhoods. The song is sung by the character Aaron Burr, originally performed by Leslie Odom Jr. and Hamilton, originally performed by Miranda.

“Congratulations,” which was part of the musical’s off-Broadway run but was cut for Broadway, “has both those things in equal measure.”, Scheduling issues have kept R&B star Andra Day from catching Hamilton on Broadway (“I’m the only person on the planet who hasn’t seen it,” she says), but she was deeply familiar with the story. Thompson was also floored by Legend’s take on the song, and it broadened his own vision of what the Mixtape could be. "Dear Theodosia" would make a cute lullaby too. Another theory for the black and white is that there is no grey area, it's simply this or that. Those songs are quick and full of energy. Go and bring it back!’” The result was a hit with Miranda: “I was just happy he liked the idea,” says Khalifa, “instead of thinking it was kind of weird.”, When Miranda was devising Hamilton’s version of George Washington, one of the artists he drew inspiration from was John Legend—so it was only natural to ask Legend to cover one of Washington’s most powerful numbers on the Mixtape. In the musical, “Dear Theodosia” is sung by the actors playing Hamilton and Aaron Burr, whose lives it depicts as parallel in many ways.

I want to name my future daughter Theodosia after the song, 'Dear Theodosia,' but I dislike the nicknamed Thea...should I just forget it? It is different from many of the other hard, rap songs in Hamilton, it is sweet and slow.

!This is way cooler than Theodora!But it is a bit of a mouthful....... You have my eyes, you have your mother's name :), I know a beautiful Greek girl named Theodosia :), I absolutely love this name, and as another user mentioned, "Dear Theodosia" is an adorable song for it to be related to :), This name feels really over the top and posh to me, but somehow I can't not like it :). ❣️❣️, [BURR] “I totally wrestled with this rap battle and spent months writing it,” Miranda says. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices.

Dear Theodosia And what of Burr and Hamilton? ...will come of age with our young nation These costumes take us all the way through "Yorktown," when America wins the war. Tomorrow There'll Be More Of Us Hamilton starts the show wearing beige/off white. But the costuming is cool because he’s wearing the beige again when he references the past.

I adore the nickname Dosia for Theodosia, but there are many potential nicknames - Theo, Dodie, Thea, Teddy, Daisy, Dosie, etc. “To hear him reference lyrical moments [from the show] in his verses that he wrote—‘I write hard rhymes like I’m runnin’ out of time’—that’s thrilling to me, as a lifelong Common fan,” Miranda says. The song that left the biggest impression on Leslie Odom Jr. after he saw Hamilton during an early … This is such a Victorian-y fusty frilly name, yet also weighty and grounded-- something like Priscilla in my mind. Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story, https://hamiltonmusical.fandom.com/wiki/Dear_Theodosia?oldid=20874, Lin-Manuel Miranda stated that though this song is meant to be sweet, there is also a hint of irony in its lyrics.

We'll bleed and fight for you, we'll make it right for you As it played at The Public, Miranda thought about making Mixtape happen again, closer to its current form, with different artists covering the show’s songs.

On December 30, 2018, a cut reprise of the song covered by Sara Bareilles was released as part of the "Hamildrop" project.

Entertainment Weekly may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website.