And it was superb.

Sbragia promptly resigned after a final day defeat to Chelsea and in came Steve Bruce. [141] He was handed a formal caution by police in June 2004 after he was alleged to have shot a 12-year-old with a pellet gun. The rise and fall of Darren Bent at Spurs: ‘The hardest two years of my life’. [93], On 26 November 2014, Bent joined Brighton & Hove Albion on a one-month loan. Honestly, it’s an achievement I’m so proud of because at that stage of my career I needed to be away from London. “Scoring goals in the North East is like nothing else. [68] After apologising, Villa manager Alex McLeish reacted angrily to the "conspiracy theory" over Bent's absence for Villa. Don’t worry about anything else, just score goals. [102] He was yet to make a first team appearance for Derby during the 2017–18 season after suffering a pre-season hamstring injury. [37], Sunderland opened negotiations to sign Bent in July 2009. Darren Bent insists former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is not world class, Monday's Transfer Talk Update: Gareth Bale, Lautaro Martinez, Darren Bent urges Tottenham Hotspur to sign Ryan Fraser, Tuesday's Transfer Talk Update: Mohammed Salisu, Scott McTominay, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Darren Bent: 'Tottenham Hotspur should sell Tanguy Ndombele to Barcelona', Sunday's Transfer Talk Update: Harry Kane, Philippe Coutinho, Luca Waldschmidt, Darren Bents tips Spurs to beat Manchester United to Aston Villa's Jack Grealish, Saturday's Transfer Talk Update: Mauro Icardi, Gabriel Magalhaes, Layvin Kurzawa, Darren Bent urges Tottenham Hotspur to cash in on Harry Kane, Monday's Transfer Talk Update: Tanguy Ndombele, Harry Kane, Adam Lallana, Darren Bent expects Jack Grealish to join Manchester United, Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur, Monday's Transfer Talk Update: Saul Niguez, Darren Bent, Darren Bent tips Japhet Tanganga to sign six-year Tottenham Hotspur deal, Monday's Transfer Talk Update: Darren Bent, Paul Pogba, Lautaro Martinez, Darren Bent tips Manchester City to make Paul Pogba move, Tuesday's Liverpool transfer talk news roundup: Rhian Brewster, Sander Berge, Sam McCallum, Monday's Premier League transfer talk news roundup: Lautaro Martinez, Leandro Paredes, Rhian Brewster, Monday's Transfer Talk Update: Danny Mills, Victor Wanyama, Ferran Torres, Monday's Liverpool transfer talk news roundup: Rhian Brewster, Sander Berge, Darren Bent urges Leeds United to move for Liverpool teenager, Darren Bent: 'Aston Villa should try to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic', Inter Milan 'weighing up Jan Vertonghen swoop', Darren Bent: 'Arsenal could sign Jan Vertonghen', Darren Bent criticises Granit Xhaka following Arsenal defeat, Darren Bent: 'Christian Eriksen must start against Arsenal', Paul Clement hits back at criticism from former Derby County forward Darren Bent, Darren Bent lavishes praise on England after 6-1 thumping of Panama, Championship: Transfer ins and outs - Summer 2018, Chris Coleman apologises to Sunderland fans for 'brutal relegation experience', Championship roundup: Wolverhampton Wanderers win title, Sunderland relegated, Burton Albion bring in Darren Bent on loan from Derby County, Championship: Transfer ins and outs - January 2018, Gary Rowett: 'No Derby County interest in Ross McCormack', Gary Rowett: 'Darren Bent could be out for Derby County until Christmas', Derby County to extend contracts for Darren Bent, Chris Baird, Team News: Steven Fletcher starts for Sheffield Wednesday, Steve McClaren: 'Derby County didn't deserve to lose to Aston Villa', Result: Wes Morgan rescues FA Cup replay for Leicester City with late header, Result: Chris Wood header sends Leeds United into third, Tony Pulis: West Bromwich Albion "battered" Derby County, Radio 1 DJ Jordan North completes I'm A Celebrity lineup? I was so pumped up before the game and wanted to do well against Spurs. It became an acrimonious exit as Bent was told by Sunderland that the transfer wouldn’t be signed off unless he handed in a transfer request, but his fondness for the club, the city and the fans remains. After progressing through their youth system, he made his first-team debut in 2001. [56], On 17 January 2011, Bent submitted a transfer request, amid reports that Aston Villa had made a club-record £18 million bid for him, which was rejected. Former Tottenham Hotspur forward Darren Bent says that Arsenal captain Granit Xhaka 'should be embarrassed' with his performance against Sheffield United. The Black Cats had finished 16th in 2008-09 and only avoided relegation on the final day of the season thanks to Newcastle United’s 1-0 defeat to Aston Villa. “I’m going to ask you one question, do you want to come and play centre-forward for Sunderland?,” Bruce asked Bent. [63], In his first full season with Villa, Bent scored his first goal of the season against Blackburn Rovers in a 3–1 victory on 20 August 2011. [84][85] However, after coming on for Benteke as a 68th-minute substitute, Bent followed up his goal against Southampton by grabbing the equaliser in a 1–1 draw.

[53] He scored the winning goal with stoppage time penalty as Sunderland beat Manchester City 1–0 on 29 August. [106], Bent made his debut for the England national under-15 team on 15 October 1999 as an 85th-minute substitute in a 2–1 win over Northern Ireland in the team's opening match at the 1999 Victory Shield. [23] This was followed up by scoring in the 6–1 win over Anorthosis Famagusta in the first round of the UEFA Cup on 20 September 2007.

[83] Bent then lost his starting place for the next league match against West Bromwich Albion, after the performances of Gabriel Agbonlahor and Christian Benteke during the midweek League Cup victory over Manchester City saw the pair start up front. [27] Bent went on to score one more goal in the 2007–08 season, against Newcastle United, which he finished with 36 appearances and 8 goals. [81] Bent lost the Villa captaincy to Ron Vlaar, after the Dutchman was appointed captain for the 2–0 victory against Swansea City on 15 September 2012 and thereafter. It’s mad.’, “I got up there and I trained and walking around the streets, honestly, I’ve never seen anything like it. [110][111] He scored in the 52nd minute of England's 3–0 win over the Faroe Islands on 3 August 2000, before starting in the final the following day, in which England were beaten 3–0 by Sweden. The striker had moved to the North East with his career at something of a crossroads. [66] Bent then suffered an injury during the match against Bolton and was out for the next few matches as a result. [115][116] His first goal came on his second appearance on 2 June 2003, with an 87th-minute winner in a 3–2 win over Serbia and Montenegro in a friendly.

[58] The following day, Bent completed his move to Villa and signed a four-and-a-half-year deal. Denise van Outen, Baga Chipz join celebrity version of The Circle? In his first 11 Premier League appearances against Liverpool, Bent scored five times. Sunderland boss Chris Coleman apologises to the club's fanbase after being relegated into League One courtesy of a late 2-1 defeat at home to Burton Albion. I was fortunate enough to win the Football Writers’ North East Player of the Year. [12] On the opening day of the 2005–06 Premier League season, Bent scored two goals on his Charlton debut against Sunderland,[13] and was named Premier League Player of the Month for August. [75] He was stretchered off the pitch with what was thought to be a serious injury. It was probably the best season I ever had, but that’s because I was happy off the pitch. When I got off the plane, people are at the airport saying, ‘Darren, can you sign this?’, “The way the people made me feel up there, I knew I was in the right place.

He obviously hates YOUR football team and has no interest in synchronised swimming. [69] This led to Bent having to deny a fall-out with McLeish. [4] He signed a professional contract with Ipswich on 2 July 2001. [76] Bent had recovered from his injury by mid-May and was in contention for Villa's final match of 2011–12 against Norwich City but was ultimately left out. © 2011-2020 Sports Mole Ltd. All rights reserved. [110][111] Bent represented England at the 2001 Algarve Tournament, appearing as a substitute in the team's three matches as they were eliminated at the group stage. Darren Bent says that he is 'not surprised' Harry Kane is open to leaving Tottenham Hotspur as he urges his former club to consider cashing in. It is now over 11 years since Darren Bent sent that infamous tweet in an attempt to accelerate his Tottenham departure but, while it was swiftly deleted at the time, he’s unlikely to ever be allowed to forget about it. READ: Darren Bent talks *that* beach ball goal and his Jordan Henderson ‘privilege’. [113][114] He finished his time with the under-19s with three appearances, scoring three goals, in 2002. He was signed by his former international manager Steve McClaren on a deal lasting until the end of the season. Keep track of all of the confirmed transfers in the Championship with. [15] Bent was the highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League in 2005–06, with 18 goals (22 overall), which made him third highest scorer[16] and was given Charlton's Player of the Year award. [99] He was released by Aston Villa on 8 June 2015,[100] ahead of a permanent transfer to Derby on a two-year contract, with a one-year option.

[35] Following the return of striker Robbie Keane at Tottenham, Redknapp assured Bent of his future at the club. In the second season I still managed to score quite a lot of goals, but when you’re in and out it’s difficult. [140] Bent is a supporter of Arsenal and used to have a season ticket at Highbury. “The crowd was so electric that day. [6] Bent scored his first Premier League goal on 24 April 2002 in a 1–0 win over Middlesbrough.

EFL on Quest returns this Saturday at 9pm and throughout the season on Wednesdays at 10.30pm for midweek fixtures. But as Bent well knows, speaking to us ahead of the return of the EFL on Quest highlights show, one of those goals is spoken about more than any other. Bent finished the season as Ipswich's top-scorer with 16 goals. I was fully focussed: I’m scoring goals for Sunderland. [84], Bent joined Villa's Premier League rivals Fulham on a season-long loan on 16 August 2013. [137], Bent was born in Tooting, Greater London[138] to a family of Jamaican descent. Strictly Come Dancing final 'to feature five couples', Made In Chelsea's Ollie Locke, Gareth Locke 'get married in secret', Piers Morgan: 'Nigel Farage has completely lost his marbles', Paris Masters roundup: Jamie Murray, Neal Skupski's ATP Finals hopes dented, Paris Masters roundup: Rafael Nadal wins 1,000th ATP Tour match, Result: Dan Evans beaten by Stan Wawrinka in opening round of season-ending tournament, Richard Caborn urges Government to reconsider amateur sport lockdown, Leicester Tigers lock down after coronavirus outbreak at club, Johnny Sexton regrets reaction to being substituted against France, Sean Maitland named in Scotland squad for Autumn Nations Cup, On This Day: Sam Burgess ends unhappy spell in rugby union, Alun Wyn Jones backs Wales coach Wayne Pivac to turn team's form around, Mark Wood not giving up on England Test hopes, Ed Smith defends decision to rest key England trio, Ben Stokes, Jofra Archer and Sam Curran rested for ODI leg of South Africa tour, Ebony Rainford-Brent frustrated over lack of diversity in youth cricket, Lewis Hamilton urged to "speak out" as Formula One heads to Saudi Arabia in 2021, Saudi Arabian Grand Prix added to 2021 Formula One schedule, Thursday's Formula 1 news roundup: Verstappen, Leclerc, Bottas, No interest in Mercedes switch or engine - Leclerc, Result: Tampa Bay Buccaneers scrape past struggling New York Giants, Result: Pittsburgh come from behind to overcome Baltimore in tight affair, Result: Atlanta Falcons too strong for Carolina Panthers, Result: Leonard Floyd inspires LA Rams to victory against former club Chicago Bears, Ryan Giggs "denies all allegations" after arrest on suspicion of assault, Man United legend Ryan Giggs 'arrested on suspicion of assaulting girlfriend', FA launches new code to boost diversity in football jobs, Premier League expected to keep PPV TV arrangements for time being, Robert MacIntyre claims lead at Cyprus Showdown, Michael Gove apologises for giving incorrect lockdown rules for golf and tennis, Golf courses and tennis courts to shut despite FA Cup go-ahead, Jamie Donaldson leads the way at Aphrodite Hills, Result: Los Angeles Lakers win first NBA title in a decade with victory over Miami Heat, Result: Miami Heat keep NBA Finals alive with narrow win over Los Angeles Lakers, Donald Trump hits out at "very nasty" LeBron James, Result: Los Angeles Lakers on the verge of landing NBA title after narrow win over Miami Heat, Frank Warren: 'Dillian Whyte has lost his chance of facing Tyson Fury', Dillian Whyte's hopes of world title shot hit by COVID-19 blow.