Norm's brother Lenny, drove the Coronet. It also did not have the mid-range torque the L79 had. Had we only known! The good-guy price back in the day was $239 plus tax. Few drag raced.

Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge heard about it and an L79 versus Street Hemi contest was set up for Skokie, Illinois. I know, I know- anti-climatic at best. The two engines shared the same compression, big-valve heads and aluminum intake. That was a heck of a big bang for the buck. Right in the middle of the linkage row was perfect for 3,000 rpm. Nice machine, eh? To represent L79 El Caminos, we present you with Mike Ingalsbee's blue '67 from La Habra, California. It never got done, and they are still new in the box. It was undefeated in class C-4 (C/Stock, four-barrel carb and hydraulic cam). SEMA 2020: The S-Series Twin-Disc Clutch From Monster Clutch Co. SEMA 2020: SCAT Offers LS S-Series Crankshafts, SEMA 2020: Tuning Your Late-Model Muscle With SCT Performance, SEMA 2020: Turn One Introduces Type II Steering Pump Upgrade, Throwback Thursday: We Check Out Crane Cams’ Quick-Lift Rocker Arms, Wednesday Rewind: 10 Reasons Why Camshafts And Lifters Fail, LS vs. Coyote Revisited: Using Comp Cams’ DynoSim5 Engine Simulator. Like the 1966 L79 Chevy II, car for car, they surprised many muscle cars on the street and at the drag strip. It ran 14.60 at 95 mph brand-new with Casler cheater. They caused the standard 6.95-15 tires to wheel-hop on launch. They didn't back off hardly at all during high-rpm actuation.

Spark plugs never carbon-fouled, either. Rust-free '67 El Caminos are very scarce. The L79's AncestryFrom 1962 to 1968 (and to a lesser extent well into the late '70s) General Motors Parts Division made a fortune selling the many similar-yet-different 327 special high-performance "short-blocks" over the counter at dealership parts departments. Local shop used to sell Wolverine cams and they were like $29.95 at the time. The good guy price was $39.

You need to be very conservative when breaking in a new FT cam. Alaimo's been an auto enthusiast since his early years, and grew up learning about cars from his father, Sal Alaimo Sr. We will safeguard your e-mail and only send content you request. Long live the L79. When it comes to grinding camshafts to OEM standard while still smoothing out some of the default designs’ flaws, Crane Cams has revolutionized the performance bumpstick industry with their Blueprint cam series that copies original factory grinds while using the best in computer technology to maximize certain spots on each application’s individual performance curve. Mr. Seen here is his 1965 Evening Orchid L79 Malibu SS pretty much restored and being reassembled very nicely. © 2020 Power Automedia. Chevrolet did not highly advertise the L79 Chevy II in 1968. Has anyone used the Engine Tech brand L-79 camshaft in their engine? He has actually updated it with a hot 383 and a 700R4 AOD transmission.
To compare the two cams side by side there was no visible differences at all. Not only are computers used in the camshaft grind process to maximize overall performance, but each Blueprint series cam is refined for increased valvetrain life. But the L78 396 engine revved to 6,500 rpm and its four-link rear coil spring suspension did not wheelhop. I've known a lot of guys over the years who got away from high-performance because they installed go-fast goodies, but their car was not much quicker. Instead of headers, look into 2½" ram horn exhaust manifolds. But the Malibu still reigned supreme. He's known as "Mr. Z16" as he ordered the very first 1965 SS 396 Chevelle. There was an old wives' tale that a hydraulic lifter would bleed down over 5,200 rpm. I figure if I can't afford to put good oil (gas too) in my classic car I shouldn't be driving it because I won't be able to afford anything else! Check out Brent Jarvis of Performance Restorations 1965 Chevy Malibu SS. My car ran 13.40 at 104 mph with the S&S traction bars, S&S tri-Y headers, 3.73:1 gears and M&H 9.00-15 slicks. L79 Chevy II sales were 5,481. SEMA 2020: The S-Series Twin-Disc Clutch From Monster Clutch, SEMA 2020: Tuning Your Late-Model Muscle With SCT, SEMA 2020: Performance Distributors LS And Pentastar SOS, 2020 Product Showcase: Strange Engineering’s Stainless Steel, PRI 2019: FIC’s New 1440cc With USCAR Plug/Injector Size, PRI 2019: CP-Carrillo Debuts Two New Connecting Rod, Josh Stahl’s Reviva Renews A Resurgence Of LS Swap, HUNTERS: A New Film On Driver David Pintaric And The Trans Am, World War “V”: A History Of Cadillac’s V-Series, At Speed With The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray And The New, Vengeance Racing And Huron Speed Team Up For An Epic ZL1, Powerful Pontiacs: Chuck and Daniella Stefanski’s Boosted Trans, High-Performance Racing Fasteners: How ARP Fasteners Are, Schwartz Performance Talks G-Machine Chassis, Engine Pulleys — Old-School Tradition Meets New-School, The Answers: Isky’s Nolan Jamora Sounds Off On Cam & Valvetrain, Needle Bearings Versus Trunnion Bushings with the Chevy, Corvette Chronicles: The Corvette’s Introduction In, C8 Corvettes: Who Are They Building These Cars For.

We're here to tell you that most of them wondered what the heck was under the hood of that stock-looking Chevy. - Super Chevy Magazine, Read more about this frost bitten 1965 Chevy Malibu that rolls in from the frigid north here at www.chevyhiperformance.com the official website of Chevy High Performance Magazine. The Holley carb's secondary diaphragm was almost always too strong. 1965 L79 Production & HistorySo, it was in 1965 that the hot hydraulic cam, L79 327 engine first appeared in the Corvette and the Chevelle. The Rock has this cam in their Engine Tech brand for $48.79, P/N ES179R.

I just had one delivered from summit this week. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SBC-...AMSHAFT-L-79-327-GM-OEM-3863151-/162595869407, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. The only difference in any of these various year special high-performance 327 short-blocks was the block's casting number, its camshaft and the oil pan.

Most cruised around and enjoyed their social life. Terms of Service. In the early 80s a had a crane blueprinted LT1 cam in a 10.1 .03 over 327 with 461 heads. That means if I recommend something it has to hold up in court. There were also 771 1965 Corvettes with the L84, 375hp fuel-injected 327. A total of 4,048 Chevelles were so-ordered. Anything can go wrong with a build despite all the best precautions taken.

Even though it was lighter, it was no match for the L79 Malibu. I;ve got a crane cam P/N 967601 and lifters P/N 99277 for sale. (The only factory plug wire in 1965 was black.) The factory seemingly did not spend any time engineering a free-flowing exhaust system. At Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, Wisconsin, Jim waded through the D/Stock class competition one weekend running 13.80s at 102 mph. The L79 engine was parts-wise, identical to the RPO L76, 365hp Corvette 327 except for the camshaft. Build your own custom newsletter with the content you love from LSX Magazine, directly to your inbox, absolutely FREE! A long-block (with big valve heads and oil pan) was around $400. We live in a modern world, but if you’re in the market for a performance camshaft that’s straight out of the muscle era then Crane’s Blueprint series is the custom grind lineup that’s up your alley! The cam is the L-79 327 350 hp replacement, and the lifters are standard Chevy small block. Plainfield, Indiana's Frank and Mae Garrison owned and restored this 1967 L79 Malibu 20 years ago. A 750 Quadrajet would have been perfect. We really liked the looks of the all-new Chevy II. This was very true. 1966 L79 Production & HistoryA total of 7,591 Corvettes were ordered with the L79 327 out of 27,720 total production. The L79 Chevy II power-to-weight ratio was right at the top of the class. Why not? The Camaro's 3.31:1 gears, 10.0:1 compression and smaller heads/valves were the culprit. 375hp) heads. I was going to use the rams horn manifolds. 66ragtop, Aug 10, 2018. All rights reserved. Come join the discussion about restorations, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Sign Up today for our FREE Newsletter and get the latest articles and news delivered right to your inbox. potential with simple engine and chassis tuning. Yes, it only had a single inlet, 585 Holley four-barrel carb (also rated at 600 cfm), but everything else was right on. For starters, the power-to-weight ratio of the L79 was almost always better than similar machines. This included 9,440 Corvettes, 4,082 Chevelles and 1,274 Chevy IIs. One of The Sealed Power lifters from Rock had .060"worn off the bottom of it and yes I used the correct cam lube and a zinc rich oil additive. Hydraulic lifters were redesigned internally and could now attain as much as 6,200 rpm before bleed-down. The quickest L79 we know of was the great Bill Jenkins' '66 Chevy II. My son and I are building a 350 for installation into his 1963 IH C1100 pickup truck.

A pair of new S&S traction bars and some Air Lift Air Bags from Nickey's speed shop run by Dick Harrell and managed by Al Gartzman cured the problem.

While the 30-30 cam does use recommended lash settings upward of .030-inch for both intake and exhaust, the Duntov camshaft uses a much tighter recommended lash of 0.012-inch and 0.018-inch for intake and exhaust. Your dad has every right to be high on the '350hp' cam from the mid 60's but hopefully he can see the light that computer-aided cam design's have made cams a helluva lot better these days. All Corvette L79s and all 1967-68 Chevelle, El Camino and Chevy II L79s had exposed filter / open-element air cleaners with a chrome lid. (It was cancelled in February 1965 when the Mark IV 396 engine was introduced.) The L79's hydraulic lifter profile was a first for Chevy performance cams. I had planned to go in a different direction with the Resto Tech tip this month, but the parts gods saw to it that my original plan got turned inside-out. E.O. A 2,500-rpm stall-speed torque converter was a must. If its got a set of fat rear tires and 8-cylinders, Alaimo Jr. is all for it. Chevrolet also engineered new rocker arm nuts, which gripped the stud firmer. Crane’s Blueprinted replica cams are offered in hydraulic or solid lifter, flat tappet versions. Total L79 Chevelle and El Camino sales were a whopping 6,021.