The Ultimate Hunter utilizes premium CPM-S35VN stainless steel with a razor sharp, continuously curved cutting edge. It’s clever engineering, but that play in the lock bar can sometimes make the Tri-Ad lock sticky and hard to disengage. Cold Steel AD-10 vs. Benchmade Adamas: Battle of the Bruiser Folding Knives Source: KnifeCenter. Is that for supposedly brand new ones? Got an ad-15 at an outdoor show today. KNIFE Magazine is an oversized, full color, glossy print publication — 50% larger than a standard magazine and dedicated to serving collectors, knifemakers and other enthusiasts. This is a portable size, capable of heavy duty work and slicing! KnifeMagazine.com is our online presence, offering news, events and other information to all visitors and a wealth of information to Premium Online Members including information on historical knife markings, knifemaker markings, about 500 magazine issues, and more! The -10 is significantly wider and thicker than the -15. The -10 is significantly wider and thicker than the -15. What's your opinion? Of all the words used to describe Cold Steel knives here on BladeReviews.com, “refined” isn’t at the top of the list.

But if secondary market I could maybe see that. After surviving a career in the music industry, Seth co-founded KnifeNews.com in 2015 to share his lifelong passion for knives with other enthusiasts online. It is a better “City” carry. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. FFG?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/demko-ad-10-vs-cold-steel-ad-10.1647422/, https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/totally-tamed-tri-ad.1708214/, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. Edge retention has been good; stainlessness, excellent. Andrew Demko is a master of ergonomics. The -10 was also phenomenally smooth.

Thank you very much. ). A careless chop glanced into a stone, damaging the edge where it hit. Not so here: the AD-10 unlocks cleanly without the need for any break-in. To top it off, the AD-10 is bulky, too; easily eclipsing my heretofore thickest knife, the Victorinox Alox Farmer. His background is in fixed-blade hunting and bushcraft knives, but has jumped into the world of vintage slipjoint collecting with both feet since coming to work at Knife Magazine.

Worldwide Knifemaker Database and Directory, Tennessee bladesmith Ron “Bowie” Claiborne Passes Away, NSSF Announces 2021 SHOT Show Cancellation, Review: Zero Tolerance 0235 – Modern ‘Slipjoint’ Designed by Jens Ansø, Weekend Open Thread: Your Mama’s so ugly…. I mean, it’s 6.8 ounces and thicker than a coin purse on laundry day.

Because the AD-10 is the most comfortable folding knife I’ve ever used. He has collaborated with Cold Steel on many of their knives, including the AD10, AD15, AD20, 4Max, and many others. Speaking as a former Cold Steel skeptic, I was unsurprised to find that the AD-10 is indeed strong, large (big), and comfortable.

I took the AD-10 on a hike and ended up using it to trim back a bush that had overgrown the trail.

It’s not a knife I can always carry, but definitely one I enjoy using when I do. The Ultimate Hunter utilizes premium CPM-S35VN stainless steel with a razor sharp, continuously curved cutting edge. One ergonomic caveat: the forward finger choil might be a little cramped for thicker fingers, although I didn’t have any issues. It carries surprisingly well in the pocket, feels good in my large size hands, and took a screaming edge on my ceramic rods. (You must log in or sign up to reply here. ). Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Every edge, every corner is shaped or softened. Closing it back up one-handed is a little counter-intuitive. There’s no avoiding the laws of physics, however: a hollow grind can only do so much for a knife this thick. It might be the best knife they’ve ever made. Even if you ignore the extended pommel, it still measures in at 5.25 inches. Best EDC Knives After a three year development period, with field testing on four continents, the Ultimate Hunter is ready for your hunting excursions. For more utilitarian cutting it works with surprising agility, despite looking like a wrecking ball. The handle, though, is another story. Best Tactical Knives Required fields are marked *. Ever since then, it seems like they’ve been taking the cheesy machismo that built the brand and distilling it into impressive products that do more than just tactical wish fulfillment (not that there’s anything wrong with that – I once owned a Rajah 2, after all). I don’t know for certain, but I think it was a high flat grind on the-10. Great blade shape with a very stout blade that's taken all I can throw at it. Really like mine.

What impresses me more than its absolute strength is its tolerance for abuse over time. Custom knife maker Andrew Demko and Cold Steel's Lynn C. Thompson collaborated to create the Ultimate Hunter folder. It doesn't take much for me to justify buying a new knife that I like. I can’t pinpoint when it started, exactly, but I started to take notice when they upgraded their blade steel across the board in 2015.

The first run was hollow-ground. ( & the AD10 is a lot cheaper if I were to lose or damage it) I do disagree with your comment that is hollow ground… if it indeed is hollow ground, I can’t detect it.

I do disagree with your comment that is hollow ground… if it indeed is hollow ground, I can’t detect it. One of the better knives from a company I am lukewarm on (Cold Steel), and one of my least favorite knives from a company whose knives I usually like (Benchmade).

Not saying the Mil. Here it is filling out a Spyderco sandwich, between the longer Military and shorter Paramilitary 2: The AD-10’s blade is clearly optimized for strength. I like four inch folders for weekend work, but I don't know much about this folder. You’d think a knife with this many finger grooves – plus a front and rear guard – would feel awkward to move around on, but the AD-10’s smooth and deeply sculpted handle isn’t so prescriptive that you feel locked in to any single grip. Checked Cold Steel site, no comment on the grind there. The proportions of this knife are deceptive. It is a better “City” carry. It’s graceless in the kitchen, where the tip mashes more than it pierces, and crisp produce is split, not sliced. Still, despite the weight and bulk, I’d pick the AD-10 for my pocket before any of the other Cold Steel folders I’ve owned. H. Clay Aalders is a lifelong edged tool user. The AD10 is basically a smaller 4-Max...believe the blade is 3.5”. Behind the tip, the grind thins out quickly to a relatively thin edge thanks to a nicely executed hollow grind. Even though it hurts to suggest something so shamefully uncool, your best option might actually be a belt pouch. Ambidextrous thumbstuds and glassy smooth Teflon washers make for satisfying deployment, whether you open it slowly or with a quick flick. Nothing to dislike about this knife. Custom knife maker Andrew Demko and Cold Steel's Lynn C. Thompson collaborated to create the Ultimate Hunter folder.

I was between the ad-15 and the -10. CTS-XHP is quickly becoming my favorite steel for everyday use. The lock bar and backspacer leave no palm-pinching voids in the back of the handle. The AD-10 feels like the latest and greatest result of an ongoing evolution at Cold Steel. So long as you don’t pull your fingers away from the heavy falling blade, they’ll safely catch the choil and not the edge, though thicker fingers should proceed with caution. After a three year development period, with field testing on four continents, the Ultimate Hunter is ready for your hunting excursions. Good review except, as others have stated, this knife is a flat grind (not quite FFG, but close). You’re much more likely to see Cold Steel knives described with adjectives like “strong” (41 times), “large” (39 times; followed closely by “big” at 38), and “comfortable” (26).