Literally every decision became a stalemate. They also found that cholesterol, triglyceride, and stress levels decreased.

Knowing that others were looking at me (or at least I thought they were,) made me self-conscious. It is common knowledge that depression changes your brain chemistry … or does a changing brain chemistry create depression? Once you have recovered, you say to yourself that you’re never going to let this happen again. What was going on? Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

People who traditionally consume coconut as a major part of their diet are generally very healthy and have low incidences of stroke and heart disease. In the winter of 2012, I went through a period of fairly severe depression. Use the numbered citations to link to these sources. The buzzing in my head was not a mental development, but a physical development.

All rights reserved. Health Impact News has rated types of coconut oil on the market from the best to the worst: Best: wet-mill fermentation, heated virgin coconut oil Great: wet-mill, no-heat virgin coconut oil Very good: fresh-pressed virgin coconut oil Good: Refined physical coconut oil Not good: refined solvent extract coconut oil due to its potential chemical residue Bad: liquid coconut oil (missing lauric acid) Avoid: hydro-generated coconut oil. I feared losing the respect of my friends and family.

The medical pioneer who popularized the idea of using coconut oil to treat Alzheimer’s is Mary T. Newport, MD. These … I was always sleepy, but unable to quiet my mind long enough to take a nap. I would say something to someone that was misconstrued. Things seemed to start falling into place. One of the many health benefits of coconut oil is that it works synergistically with cod liver oil to make your blues go away! I cannot suggest that coconut oil will work for everyone. Once you’ve dropped off the cliff, you have to start the long climb back up. When Dr. Newport’s husband developed early-onset Alzheimer’s, she administered coconut oil along with supplemental MCT oil with notable success.

Wouldn’t it clog my arteries? In his book, Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–Your Brain’s Silent Killers, he contends that you should stop looking at cholesterol as the enemy and start considering it your brain’s friend instead. A coconut de-husking farm. People with depression or anxiety often get prescribed medications that have a tranquilizing effect on the brain. My mood has been positive and bright, rarely having a trace of being moody, or being overwhelmed.

What about all this fat I would be ingesting? It is a great antiviral and anti-inflammatory; it is beneficial for the heart, skin, and healthy weight; and now a study has found that it may be able to treat stress and anxiety — with more success than drugs. I had stopped taking my amitriptyline back in 2009, because I thought I didn’t need it anymore. What a fantastic read! As my anxiety rose, I was very mistrustful of everything. Researchers have called coconut oil an “antidepressant functional food” due to its unique combination of medium-chain fatty acids and antioxidants. I understand why people with diseases look internationally for drugs and treatments that have yet to be no FDA approved. Not so easy, my friend. I remember her saying one time in complete frustration that she couldn’t take it any more … I had to get a hold of myself, and stop doing this. First, I committed to my wife that I would get on an antidepressant and see a psychotherapist. Conversely, I’ve read a few anecdotal accounts where people with anxiety experience an increase in symptoms when they consume coconut oil. I had pretty bad depression in early 2012, and I’ve dug myself out. When you shop for coconut oil, you’ll see a lot of variation on packaging labels. http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/new-research-continues-to-show-alzheimers-is-a-type-3-diabetes/. Fortunately, there’s a backup energy system for times when you can’t get enough energy from glucose. I’ve got a really good life with which I should be content. People who are inexperienced in depression really can’t fully understand. Coconut oil reduces diabetic complications such as insulin resistance, retinopathy, and kidney damage.

Evidently an optimum level of cholesterol is some place between 180 and 200. Here’s a condensed version of how the MCTs in coconut oil provide instant energy to brain cells. (5). (28). ➤ Works with your type of brainwave patterns. , more and more people like ME could respond. This makes coconut oil excellent for frying, sauteing, roasting, and baking. (26), The US National Institutes of Health reported that increasing fat intake to 50% of calories improved the nutritional status of study participants, and did not increase their risk for heart disease. (10). Edited and medically reviewed by Patrick Alban, DC | Written by Deane Alban.

Refined coconut is produced from dried coconut meat that needs to be processed in order to make oil. Are you over-stressed, anxious, or depressed? Your brain gets into a cycling mode, going over and over something that you can’t turn off. The dried coconut can be processed with the help of mechanical presses, or chemicals. However, Dr. Mary Newport recommends 4-6 tablespoons per day of a combination of coconut oil and MCT oil if you are trying to treat serious neurological disorders. I was afraid of coffee and wine … two of my favorites … because I didn’t know if I could handle the stimulation. Not to worry I was told. Antioxidants neutralize damaging free radicals, unattached oxygen molecules that damage cells and hasten their demise. It seems that whenever I get a bad cold, and my head gets congested, I begin to feel depressed. If you buy a third-party product via a link on our website, we earn compensation, but at no extra cost to you. ➤ Adapts dynamically to keep you in a "flow state.". Switching from vegetable oils to coconut oil is one of the easiest lifestyle changes you can make to build a better brain. Its brain-healthy qualities are mainly due to medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which deliver energy directly to brain cells, bypassing glucose metabolism. (23), Trans fats cause inflammation and increase the risk of many major diseases including ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, and cancer. I felt like I had no control over any event in my life. I started to believe that some outside force was making everything go bad for me … because almost everything I did seemed to go wrong. (15), High-fat diets, especially ones that include the MCTs found in coconut oil, can delay brain aging. i have just posted a reply about your letter. She quickly assessed my crisis situation, and we began regular sessions in April 2012. For more information, download a copy of her Coconut Oil Dietary Guidelines or visit her website CoconutKetones.com. Coconut Oil for Stress and Anxiety Excellent article. The third thing I did was one of those experiences that you find when you were not looking. My poor wife, who was extremely supportive during this period, became totally beside herself with my indecisiveness and my fear. Though we always strive to provide accurate information, we make no representation and assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information on or available through our website, and this information is subject to change without notice. ( Log Out / 

But it has worked for me, and I want to share what I did. So many people have real issues that could drive them into hopelessness. See Terms of Use for details. In a low-fat high-carb diet, sudden sugar drops can make you more vulnerable to depression, anxiety, and mood swings. The best way to consume coconut oil is simply to make it a regular part of your diet. Coconut oil has been found helpful for mood and neurological disorders, brain aging, and serious cognitive decline. This can be an effective shortcut.

In summary, her research led her to foods that contained medium chained triglycerides (MCT), which in turn create ketone bodies. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Most people find this unpleasant and quickly get tired of taking it this way. And I will continue to take my amitriptyline antidepressant for the rest of my life, and maintain occasional contact with my therapist. 5.

This promising antistress activity may be attributed to the polyphenols and medium-chain fatty acids present in VCO.”. Your particular mind and body makeup may not respond to the coconut oil.

(4). A few musings every Thursday night … (completed Dec 2008), Chapter 7.14 Learning: Increase Your Knowledge, Let Depression Melt Away With Coconut Oil. The buzzing in my head persisted and I was still indecisive, barely able to take care of myself, yet I was able to attend to her issues. The mechanism by which coconut oil uniquely feeds the brain is no exception. 4. And, as this chart illustrates, coconut oil is by far the best source of MCTs. I have been thinking along these same lines. People who eat the Standard American Diet (SAD) of too many processed foods don’t get enough antioxidants, but the good news is that adding a few teaspoons of high quality coconut oil each day can make a dramatic difference. I didn’t really have ringing in my ears, but more of an electrical buzzing that was around my brain, but not on my brain. Even better, coconut oil acts as a preventative to protect from neurological damage, among its other health benefits.

Of all the organs in your body, your brain especially needs healthy dietary fat. The medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil bypass glucose metabolism, delivering energy directly to the brain cells that need it. Every cell in your body is affected by free radical, or oxidative, damage, but brain cells are particularly vulnerable since they use a disproportionate amount of oxygen. Depending on the capsule’s size, you would need to take at least 12 capsules to get one tablespoon of oil.

Here is a synopsis of my last depressive episode.

I forgot an appointment. In a recent interview, she mentioned some other ways coconut oil is being successfully used including treating glaucoma, Down syndrome, ALS, and Huntington’s. California Scientists Developing Cow-Free Dairy Milk From GMO Yeast and 3D Printed Milk Proteins, Rockefeller Foundation Sued for $1 Billion for Infecting Citizens with Syphilis. ➤ Result: Improved concentration, retention, productivity. Some amazing research is happening, but how fast can it be scientifically supported. My mom was failing at 91, and, although she was residing at a well-run assisted living residence, I had to take her to the hospital often because her physical system was shutting down. Let me explain a little about what it feels like to be depressed. Depression doesn’t just happen. Mood and feelings of well-being have both psychological and physiological factors. Good quality fats such as coconut oil balance our sugar levels leaving us full after meals. You know it is not right, but you cannot stop it. yours faithfully, desmond. Any process relating to the role of fats in the body is complicated. Anxiety? Awake, you can somewhat control this disruption because you are aware of it.