This new edition published by the Ulster-Scots Language Society documents over 500 ‘shared’ vocabulary items which are authenticated by quotations from both sides of the Atlantic. 1) Yo, someone toss me a natty from the fridge. To learn more about what data we collect and your privacy options, see our Hide Quotations Hide Etymology Cite this entry, CLATTY, Clattie, Claty, Clauty, adj. The Ulster-Scots Academy has been an integral part of the Ulster-Scots Language Society since 1993. The book documents over 500 vocabulary items contributed to American English by these ‘Scotch-Irish’ settlers. Each ‘shared’ term with its meaning is authenticated by quotations from both sides of the Atlantic. An' if me shirt's a clatty shirt The man to blame's me da. Your auld knee-breekums, rent and clattie. clatty can mean cool, awesome, etc. ). "Hey man what the hell are you doing with that 2 day old kebab ? it is also not used by Justin Beiber, therefor it is way better than "swag". " Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz, More than 250,000 words that aren't in our free dictionary, Expanded definitions, etymologies, and usage notes. 1843 J. Ballantine Gaberlunzie's Wallet viii. meaning to hit / strike someone. Clatty hole a girl with a bogging hole like a empty headlock doesn't wash her clatty hole jus febreezes that and her knickers Lassies Fanny's stinking pure clatty hole by Banterbossin December 04, 2019 Get the clatty hole neck gaiter and mug.

This searchable online version of his book takes its text from the dictionary part of the second edition published by the Ullans Press in 2017. clatty adj Dirty, muddy, slovenly. 1923 W. F. Marshall Verses from Tyrone 40: An' if me shirt's a clatty shirt The man to blame's me da. Lazy, leein' dirty Dan, got himsel' so clatty fou, He was carried thro' the toon like a newly stickit sow! [′klɑt, ′klt].

USLS volunteers have been involved in preserving and promoting Ulster-Scots for more than 20 years. Thank you!

XN89678) without external financial assistance. Follow @uslanguagesoc All donations, however small, will be most gratefully received and contribute towards the expansion of the project. Lnk.5 1936: It's a clauty nicht. "Clatty adj.". The name "Ulster-Scots Academy" is registered to the USLS with the Intellectual Property Office. 2004. c1910 Byers Glossary = dirty, muddy, untidy, slovenly: ‘You weren’t both clatty and longsome at that’ = Though you were quick about it, you did it badly and dirtily.

a.1850 Flory Loynachan iii. Scottish Language Dictionaries Ltd. Accessed 5 Nov 2020 . Comments: From Ulster to America recounts the lasting impact eighteenth-century settlers from Ulster have made on the development of the English language of the United States. Irish.

A new edition of Michael Montgomery’s From Ulster to America: The Scotch-Irish Heritage of American English recounts the lasting impact that at least 150,000 settlers from Ulster in the 18th century made on the development of the English language of the United States.

USLS volunteers have been involved in preserving and promoting Ulster-Scots for more than 20 years.

Songs and Ballads of Clydesd. Dictionary of the Scots Language. !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)? You may wish to vary the format shown below depending on the citation style used. Post the Definition of clatty to Facebook, Share the Definition of clatty on Twitter, On ‘Corps’ and ‘Core’ and ‘Corp’ (and ‘Corpse’). How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Do you know what languages these words come from? Thank you!

Some arsehole was slagging my girlfriend last night so I took him outside and clattered the shit out of him.

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! Also used in the health & fitness community to refer to bodybuilders who do not utilize performance-enhancing drugs, such as anabolic steroids.

Lnk. ", "You claty … 1983 Marshall Drumlister 32 An’ if me shirt’s a clatty shirt / The man to blame’s me da. Arg. Clatty definition is - dirty, slovenly, cluttered. [O.Sc.

1889 Farmer Americanisms = dishevelled, untidy. 'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs'); (Friends of the Ulster-Scots Academy group), Contents © ulsterscotsacademy.com | Privacy policy, Constituted under the auspices of the Ulster-Scots Language Society, From Ulster to America: The Scotch-Irish Heritage of American English. clattie, muddy, dirty, 1629 (D.O.S.T. 3. ", "Eating it, so what? "You seen Helen tonight?

A searchable online version of this dictionary is now also available here.

Scottish slang word meaning dirty or unclean. Scotch-Irish » From Ulster to America » clatty, Source: From Ulster to America: The Scotch-Irish Heritage of American English. [< oed clat n 1 ‘a clod, a clod of dirt, especially of cow-dung’; oed clatty b ‘miry, dirty, nasty’ … Usually used to refer to Natural Light beer. Accessed 5 Nov. 2020. slang abbreviation for "natural". 204: Lazy, leein' dirty Dan, got himsel' so clatty fou, He was carried thro' the toon like a newly stickit sow! Nor [am] I a claty skybal, thus To sclaffer after thee. Urban Dictionary and our advertising partners set cookies on your computer to improve our site and the advertisements you see.

Most often used to describe someone's appearance or actions. Learn a new word every day. Edb. All donations, however small, will be most gratefully received and contribute towards the expansion of the project.

These projects are planned to be completed and available on the site in 2016. Uls.

dang, he's got clatty." an even better term for "swag". 1. The second, revised edition of Michael Montgomery’s From Ulster to America is now available here: From Ulster to America: The Scotch-Irish Heritage of American English (Europe), From Ulster to America: The Scotch-Irish Heritage of American English (North America). 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'? Dirty, muddy, slimy; disagreeable (Lnl.1, Arg.1, Lnk.3 1937). ", "Aye, she's looking right claty".