On a related note, did you know the USA is the oldest free government on Earth after Britain? Likewise, the Anglo-Americans showed no civility towards their former chattel. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises! Bashar Assad is another guy who thought he could control the stupid.

We think it makes it far too easy for someone to claim that a person they don’t like (for whatever reason) is committing a crime. “Civil” engineering came into use to distinguish from “military” engineering. I wish I could have intelligent conversations with them, and show them the joy of being open minded to seemingly unpleasant ideas.

More than anything else, I wish I knew of a way to make people actually care about the truth. I do speak up when I know something for a fact and will defend it, but it rarely makes a lasting point, and never changes any minds. I worry more when the State of California leads the USA in efforts to curtail gun ownership. The USA has a longer running continuous government than ANY European country. All you need to do is make someone love the truth enough, and eventually they’ll reach that position on their own. war, invasion or what have you since 1776. Briefly, in addition to direct and warrant-less surveillance of all kinds both electronic and by camera, as well as Facebook/Twitter etc. Maybe I’m an idealist, but I couldn’t believe that an action as depraved as firing wildly into a crowd would result in probation on a minor charge and the loss of a license. Take, for example, civic discourse and civil discourse. I’ve never seen this movie, or even heard of it before 5 minutes ago. People lived where they worked, knew their neighbours, and really belonged to their village, burgh or city.

I live near several hyper conservative (Rush and Beck loving, Evolution and Climate change denying, etc) who I see fairly often at family functions. To be honest, we generally don’t trust you guys. civil The difference between a civic duty and a civic responsibility is in the motivation behind it. We’ve seen too many good people harmed in a rush to judgement by normally scrupulous individuals. However, the specific link was dead and I couldn’t figure out how to extract the data I wanted.

Given that ground state, you can’t tolerate the idea of an armed civilian. I feel like a fraud when I’m around them, because I am not nearly as smart or as rigorous as the Rationalists I read. Because everyone else will make up the most unbelievable bullshit to support their side. According to the Grammarist, the terms Civic and Civil are defined as follows:. I guess that makes my anarchist towns in D&D less weird for not having dedicated town watches. It specifically has to do with the government of a city or the duties involved with running a city. It doesn’t actually matter at all what police or government do, so long as the stupid people, aka everyone who isn’t in your social stratum, are controlled. (Based on the judge’s ruling though, the consensus seems to have settled on “We want less of this sort of thing”).

-il –“ability to, capable of, suitable for” I have no opinion on it. I wish I had answers. If I lived there, I could end up with a Condition Red threat score by having a piece of software “read” a short story with my name on it. No, in large part it’s because we don’t trust the justice of the mob to actually be just. What does impress me is the ethic of civic duty. Should we push society to encourage more direct involvement by bystanders, or encourage less? I have never understood the term ‘Civil” War…. Civic is an adjective which describes an object or person as having to do with a city or town, or that the object was created or came from a city or town. Every other country has had a civil But overall I agree with you: even given that someone acknowledges the difference, most people simply do not care that much, and probably never will. civil liberties, civil rights She saw a man running from security, and she had just heard screaming from inside. *Because, “writer” – as a Brit I have no horse in this race. If we can use this home depot parking lot case as a point against civilian justice, we must be even handed and include police misconduct. This article made me curious, so I tried to find some actual statistics related to vigilantism, and then actual statistics related to citizen’s arrests. I was linked to an article that asserted in the first sentence that a woman “fired wildly at a crowd in the parking lot of an Auburn Hills Home Depot” in an attempt stop fleeing shoplifters. More careful Googling shows that the parking lot was as empty as you’d expect a Home Dept parking lot to be. It specifically has to do with the government of a city or the duties involved with running a city. I’ve always believed that voting is a civic duty. People are not stupid. I totally get the hesitation for mob justice, and any right-thinking person should. Obeying the lawA voluntary civic duty is voting in elections. The law makes some types of civic duties mandatory.

All Right Reserved. civic: of or relating to a citizen, a city, citizenship, or community affairs [for example] civic duty, civic pride. Or as I like to say, the foundation of your reality is that people are stupid and have to be controlled. The war was not Civil. As models go, this one sucks.

civic life I didn’t expect any of my usual references to countenance the use of “civil duty,” but answers.com actually illustrates the definition of civil with the expression I’m objecting to. So though I admire the toughness of our forbears, I don’t rate them as particularly wise. I worry about a city police department with that much access to data and that much money to spend. That’s beside the point, there is not only a spectrum between every-person for themselves and total police deferrence, but also plenty of positions outside of the spectrum. Look how that’s working out for him. Perhaps people would attempt to quantify how many murders are prevented by Uber drivers intervening when someone actually shoots into a crowd, versus how many taxi drivers are nearly murdered by people thinking they’re fighting ISIS. I hear the opposition now (thanks Sir Strawman for that quick reply) shouting about how those are problems they also want to solve. It’s what we do in order to live in a civil society. I am outnumbered, and feel I don’t have enough facts memorized to back up my points.

A Google search turns up numerous examples of “civil duty” in the sense of “civic duty.” This use can be argued, but it still sounds odd to me. We’re not to be ALLOWED to intervene because police have superior training and blah blah blah. One problem is that if someone thinks that some particular claim is true, caring about that claim feels like caring about the truth, even though these are different things. One where the populace actively intervenes in crimes-in-progress.

For all she knows, this could be a murderer fleeing the scene. You have hit exactly on the divide between Left and Right in the West. derivation of civis “townsman”, civic 1542, from L. civicus “of a citizen,” adj. I generally think they are good people, but when political discussions inevitably come up, I shut down. I’ve long said that there’s no need to convince people religion is false. Asked if the pair can be civil for the rest of the 2014 battle, Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda told Welt newspaper: “When I think of how the meeting went on Sunday, I doubt it.”. Determining what our civic duties are is problematic then—although this is true of almost everything else in philosophy. Civic responsibility differs from civic duty, which consists of actions that are legally required of citizens. In the second, we mean courteous conversation without angry outbursts or name-calling. Get a subscription and start receiving our writing tips and exercises daily! Her success in blowing out a tire suggests she’s decently trained. Terrorists hijacked a plane, the passengers rushed them, and though they lost their lives, they saved hundreds or thousands more. Letting the professionals handle it is not a free country. an article that asserted in the first sentence, his article debunking the myth of a “town watch”, end up shooting the people you were trying to help, stalking innocent people you don’t like and then murdering them, taxi drivers are nearly murdered by people thinking they’re fighting ISIS, http://phantomsoapbox.blogspot.ca/2015/11/paris.html, Kamala Harris is a coward who attacks the vulnerable for popularity.

Or because we see some of you stalking innocent people you don’t like and then murdering them, claiming it’s self-defense. There were laws against this sort of thing, but the cultural values overrode them: as long as it was perceived as a fair fight, a court would be unlikely to find you guilty of murder if you killed somebody in a duel. When I read the following sentence the other day, I had an immediate “Oh No!” reaction to the use of civil: “At the end, I was feeling happy because I did my civil duty,”. I want a world in which the facts matter. We like our due process with a bit more process. A civic duty is an action or responsibility expected of every member of a society.

A report in the print edition of Newsweek last week used “discomforted” in place of “discomfited.” Kind of the same misuse of words as civil and civic in that the use I object to (great phrase) is not strictly wrong, but certainly not correct if you want the reader to understand your meaning. Want to improve your English in five minutes a day? Can we put numbers on lives saved by sane civic-duty-minded citizens versus lives lost by unhinged civic-duty-minded citizens? You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!