He was the band’s champion and collaborator during those sessions. "And Rich was against the idea. “I think the first record is the postcard of the band,” he says, “I think [Congratulations I’m Sorry] did pretty well, considering. The album's original cover artwork depicted the Arizona desert.

"I was with him the night he bought the 'Anarchy in the U.K.' 45," Leen says. Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Enter your email or sign up with a social account to get started, Phoenix's independent source of local news and culture. “Follow You Down,” the album’s lead-off single, was a radio smash. The band broke up the following year with the memory of their friend continuing to linger over them. "To see women just fawning all over him blew me away," she says. The spirit of Hopkins, who struggled with depression and alcoholism for several years, followed the Gin Blossoms as they began work on their follow-up, Congratulations I’m Sorry. Asking him to think back on the events surrounding an album recorded two decades ago feels like pulling teeth. This was important in our 20s.". Support local journalism.

The adjectives most often reached for as the singer's friends and family try to sum up Flower's personality are "sweet" and "kind. It’s a very good quality.“. ", ARIZONA MUSIC:How Roger Clyne became an Arizona legend — and why he stayed. My parents loved him. Shipp recalls those early practices in 1980. Valenzuela recalls one point of contention between the band and the label: They couldn’t include “Til I Hear It From You” on the album.

Valenzuela’s response, tinged with annoyance, comes in the form of another question: “You can’t fathom what it would be like going on tour after that?”. Hopkins died by suicide shortly after receiving a gold disc for "Hey Jealousy.". It was us. "Nobody had heard it. The answer to his question seems obvious. Everybody loved him.". In addition to Valerie, Flower is survived by two other siblings, Larry and Patricia, and two daughters, Emily, 23, and Amanda, 20. ANDERSON — The Highland High School Class of '66 will host its 48th class reunion on Aug. 23. Leen, who has been the bassist in the Gin Blossoms since the band formed in 1987, recalls those early days, playing with Flower and Hopkins, fondly.

"And he loved his girls fiercely. His name might be less familiar than those of his former bandmates who went on to form the Gin Blossoms. The Phoenix New Times may earn a portion of sales from products & services purchased through links on our site from our affiliate partners. He'd be like, 'I'm not!' He was one of those guys, you know? Edit Release New Submission . Reach the reporter at ed.masley@arizonarepublic.com or 602-444-4495. "It was brilliant," says Swafford, who would rejoin Leen and Hopkins three years later in Ten O'Clock Scholars after briefly rehearsing with Hopkins and Flower in an early edition of Algebra Ranch. "He was in love," she says. Sign Up ›. Valenzuela fondly remembers being in the presence of such a talented man. "That was October (1993) and Doug was gone in December. I don’t think that label was standing in the way of it. “So, the band starts down the path of record two with some good songs, but not quite the songs of youth.”. Among Leen's first impressions of Flower was his locker at McClintock High School in Tempe. We didn’t have everything that we had in the initial presentation. He just seemed so elevated.". Because of Richard. I think it’s done okay … It’s not something that would have kept me up at night.”. Subscribe to azcentral.com today. New Miserable Experience is the second studio album by rock band Gin Blossoms, released on August 4, 1992.The album was released to little fanfare and relatively lackluster reviews. Get the latest updates in news, food, music and culture, and receive special offers direct to your inbox, Phoenix Restaurant Directory: Takeout/Delivery/Dine-in, Joe's Grotto: An Oral History of Phoenix's Now-Defunct Metal Haven, The Five Best Songs by Phoenix Musicians in October 2020, 20 Years Ago, the Gin Blossoms Released Their First Album After Doug Hopkins’ Death, Uranus Recording of Tempe Closes With Great Performances From Gin Blossoms, Rembrandts, and Tempe Rock Lifers, New Music from AJJ, Jared & The Mill, Diners, and More. "Before life got too serious. All rights reserved. It was Flower who exposed him to the Pistols. He died of renal failure at his home in Peoria.

And Rich was just a fixture at my parents' house. '", Smith says, "He looked like a modern take on the accepted version of what Jesus Christ looks like. We had pretty rough management at the time.”. Get the most out of your experience with a personalized all-access pass to everything local on events, music, restaurants, news and more. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. He was tall and lithesome. Just as the album was becoming a success at the end of 1993, Hopkins died by suicide.

People often drifted in and out of bands with Hopkins. He passed away in late 2014. Leen says. But it's the first one Bill Leen and Doug Hopkins … Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.