https://www.food.com/recipe/cast-iron-skillet-fillet-mignon-526222 4 sprigs fresh thyme Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Remove the skillet from the oven and return to a burner over medium heat. All rights reserved. Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Medium, 6-7 minutes. For The Love Of Cooking participates in the Amazon affiliate marketing program, which means we may get paid commissions on chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Transfer the steaks to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Note: Cooking steaks at high temps in a skillet tends to get smokey. It’s our new favorite way to cook steak. Lean cuts like a filet mignon are perfect candidates for this technique. I’ll take one. This is the kind of thermometer that has a control base with a readout, a long metal cable and a long, sharp probe that goes into the food and remains throughout cooking.

My family is loving it! Pam I love filete mignon ! [WARNING] skillet may be hot, handle with oven mitts. Temperatures for steak Rare: 120° F to 125° F Medium rare: 125° F to 130° F Medium: 135° F to 140° F Medium well: 145° F to 150° F Well done: 160° F and above, Keywords: filet mignon, steak, tenderloin steak, Tag @kitchenswagger on Instagram and hashtag it #kitchenswagger. Want grass-fed beef delivered to your door? All rights reserved. https://newkitchenlife.com/alton-browns-steak-recipe-quick-easy I picked up a couple of filet mignon recently and really wanted to try Ina Garten’s recipe using a cast iron skillet and some butter.

Remove from the oven and spoon the butter back over the steaks. A cast iron skillet allows you to easily transfer your steak from the oven to stove, making this a really easy filet mignon recipe to master. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper. You'll know you're close when 1/2 teaspoon water dropped in the middle of the pan is completely evaporated in 5 seconds. Cook ALL sides for 2 minutes each, or until golden brown. This recipe first appeared in Season 1 of Good Eats: Reloaded. Open a kitchen window and turn on your kitchen’s overhead vent fan before you start to help with ventilation.

Top with a slice of garlic and herb butter and serve. Enjoy!!!! 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Brush a very light coat of peanut oil onto both sides of the steak. https://www.food.com/recipe/pan-seared-steak-from-alton-brown-265639 This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Remove filets from the skillet and set on a plate, lightly cover with tin foil and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Season the steaks on all sides with salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil in the hot skillet and place the steaks down. In addition, I used avocado oil due to the much higher smoke point. This recipe is ideal for a 8-10 ounce portion, roughly 2-3 inches thick. Recipes > Main Course > Beef > Pan-Seared Filet Mignon Recipe. (But let’s face it: Virtually any steak is better when cooked in cast iron.)

Brush a very light coat of peanut oil onto both sides of the steak. Soften the butter in a microwave safe bowl until malleable, 10-15 seconds. Pro tip: Tying a piece of kitchen twine around the equator of the steak helps maintain its shape and allows for more even cooking. I tried this for dinner this evening. Awesome I used a thermometer and it was great. Rest the steak on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and then slice diagonally, against the grain, to serve. I cook mine under the broiler, with the rack at the second level, for about 9 minutes per side. The legend, Anthony Bourdain once said, the most important aspect of cooking any steak is the rest period after you take it off the heat. Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper Cooking a steak in a cast iron pan not only imparts a delicious brown crust on the exterior of the meat, it also gives you the ability to continually baste the steak with butter for extra flavor and richness. Place in refrigerator for about 10 minutes and remove 5 minutes before adding to the filet. As for sauce, this steak don’t need no stinkin’ sauce — but if you happen to have some of my compound herb butter on hand, that wouldn’t be bad. Meanwhile, place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until it reaches at least 600ºF, about 10 minutes. ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken and heritage breed pork directly to your door. It took closer to 15 minutes. Why is this the best way to cook filet mignon? Now you have me. Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Reverse-Sear Filet Mignon (or Ribeye Filet), Reverse-Seared Ribeye with Miso Sauce and Charred Scallions, Steak au Poivre (Fillet in Green Peppercorn Sauce), Reverse-Seared Rib-Eyes with Parmesan Creamed Spinach and Charred Lemon. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates.

Meanwhile, place a 12-inch cast-iron pan over high heat until it reaches at least 600 degrees F, about 10 minutes.