The word basically denotes a diurnal (active during the day) bird of prey, or even more generically a diurnal carnivorous bird. Your newsletter signup did not work out. And famine will bring you no fear; grade Double your impact! Did God have to “stir up” Israel during the wilderness wanderings to get them ready to enter the Promised Land? Deuteronomy 32:9-141 is an inspiring passage which speaks of God’s care for Israel. It is recounting events which occurred roughly 3,500 years ago and as such gives us a glimpse of God’s past care for his people. Exodus 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. In context, the entire extended passage of Deuteronomy 32:9–14 is about God’s care for Israel during the wilderness wanderings, so the “protecting” translation is easily validated. Do not let your vanity make you overestimate your powers. 3) Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Psalm 103:5: and, for the use of the eagle as a metaphor for strength, see Exodus 19:4; Deuteronomy 32:11). : DVD Set with Book, Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions Set. Isaiah 8:17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him. To this idea, Moses seems to refer in Exodus 19:4: `Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.' As can be seen, some versions translate the entire verse as actions carried out by the eagle for its young. Chorus: And He will raise you up on eagle's wings, Bear you on the breath of dawn, Make you to shine like the sun, And hold you in the palm of His hand. Terms of Service apply. Exodus 8:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me. The Apostle Paul reminded the Corinthians 1,500 years later of this very thing (1 Corinthians 10:5–11): the older Exodus generation failed to enter the Promised Land because of unbelief and rebellion. Psalm 27:13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Therefore, this could be a behavior among one (or more) of the birds native to the Middle East, though whether this protective act is even physically possible has been called into question. Make you to shine like the sun, Say to the Lord, "My Refuge, “What a funny bird this is!” they said laughing, “what do you call it, father?” “That is a Jackdaw, my children. This verse has become a popular topic for sermons and a much-copied inspirational social media post. Others favor the “protecting” or “watching over” translation; since the verse speaks of caring for the nestling in the beginning, it is reemphasized here. But American bald eagles are not native to the Middle East (there are 4 common species and 3 rare species of eagle found in Israel).2 The only “bald” birds (either having no feathers on their head, or only having short downy feathers on their heads) are vultures, four of which are common in Israel (Egyptian Vulture, Black Vulture, Griffon-vulture, and the Lappet-faced vulture.3 There are no truly “bald” eagles, but there are plenty of bald (or mostly bald) vultures. Compare, for example, these renditions of Proverbs 30:17, where nesher is translated as “eagle” or “vulture”: NKJV: The eye that mocks his father, and scorns obedience to his mother, The ravens of the valley will pick it out, And the young eagles will eat it. So the clear zoomorphic (comparing God’s characteristics to the characteristics of an animal) simile in Deuteronomy 32:11 is not an isolated occurrence. NET: Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that hovers over its young, so the Lord spread out his wings and took him, he lifted him up on his pinions. But those who favor the “stir up” rendering point out that verses 12–13 state that God guided or led Israel and “made him ride in the high places.” This last phrase quite possibly alludes to forcing a nestling to leave the nest and take its first flight. Though thousands fall about you, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. It’s a misapplication for Christians to use this verse in a universal naturalistic sense and claim that the Bible teaches that “all eagles carry their young on their wings.” If we try to force this verse to be a “guaranteed promise” to all believers today, we are misapplying this verse. Have there been no recorded cases of any eagles carrying or catching a fledgling on its wings? NEW SONG: Shawn Mendes - "Wonder" - LYRICS, HOT SONG: BLACKPINK – "Lovesick Girls" - LYRICS, HOT SONG: Billie Eilish - "No Time To Die'" - LYRICS, The 18 Greatest Revenge Songs of All Time. And though we think of eagles as hunting birds primarily, most will not turn up their nose at carrion, making the Proverbs 30:17 verse applicable to either an eagle or vulture. More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free!

Also, when many think of an eagle, those particularly in North America often think of the bald eagle, so named not because it is lacking feathers on its head but because the feathers there are white. Another difference among the English translations is whether the eagle is “stirring up” or “protecting” its nest. Exodus 9:1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh, and tell him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me. What is the meaning of “Hephzibah” in the Bible. Before we delve into these charges, it is important to look at the different English translations of Deuteronomy 32:11, as well as some of the Hebrew words which may help shed light on these questions. And the HCSB, using the analogy of an eagle, translates the entire verse as God’s care for Israel. Judges 16:28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes. Running up, he caught the bird and clipped its wings. And hold you in the palm of His Hand. And He will raise you up on eagle's wings, Under His Wings your refuge, The Hebrew word in this passage is נֶשֶׁר “nesher,” and although this word is usually translated as “eagle” in most English translations, there are a few examples where it is not and some where it could have been translated differently based on context.

In fact, we are commanded to meditate on all the good things God has brought into our lives (Philippians 4:8). Lior Kislev, “Birding Tours and Birdwatching in Israel,” accessed July 8, 2019, Ludwig Koehler, Walter Baumgartner, eds., “uwr,”, Arthur Cleveland Bent, "Life histories of North American birds of prey pt.

Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old. and in the wilderness. Thank you for signing up to receive email newsletters from Answers in Genesis. Why does God talk a lot about eagles while talking of strength? Note that most long-term fieldwork on eagle nesting and fledgling behavior has been carried out in North and South America and Europe, with little study on eagles native to the Middle East. His wings are not like the Titanic ship that would break and shatter; they would carry and keep you safe forever. Ministry-To-Children.com helps you tell kids about Jesus by providing age-appropriate Bible study material and Sunday School curriculum – all 100% free online.. We believe that God is the loving Father of all kids. Is the “The Suffering Servant” prophecy in Isaiah 53 about Jesus?

So which translation(s) best captures the meaning of the text? When considering the translation of Deuteronomy 32:11, remember that the varying translations all have plausible arguments backing them up. - They shall mount up with wings as eagles (comp. My Rock in Whom I trust.". Shall mount up with wings.--Better, shall lift up their wings, or, shall put forth wings' feathers, the last, like Psalm 103:5, implying the belief that the eagle renewed its plumage in extreme old age. Yes, on several occasions because of their rebellious nature (Numbers 16, 20:2–13, 21:4–9, 25:1–9). Does an Eagle Carry Its Young on Its Wings? You're almost done! HCSB: As for the eye that ridicules a father and despises obedience to a mother, may ravens of the valley pluck it out and young vultures eat it. Lest you dash your foot against a stone. And hold you in the palm of His Hand. So, although the Hebrew word nesher may not definitively refer to an eagle in all places, it is safe to say that an eagle is a possibility and is the more probable rendering when the passages mention soaring ability (Proverbs 23:5, 30:19; Jeremiah 48:40, 49:16) or swiftness (Deuteronomy 28:49; Job 9:26; Habakkuk 1:8). Isaiah 30:18 And therefore will the LORD wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him. It is possible that a molting eagle could lose all the feathers on its head for a very short time, even though this is uncommon. Make you to shine like the sun, I raised thee up under the apple tree: there thy mother brought thee forth: there she brought thee forth that bare thee. The pandemic has created unique challenges for us as we go into 2021. You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord, ESV: Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions. … 30 The LORD your God, who goes before you, will fight for you, just as you saw Him do for you in Egypt 31 and in the wilderness, where the LORD your God carried you, as a man carries his son, all the way by which you traveled until you reached this place.” 32 But in spite of all this, you did not trust the LORD your God… Job 33:24-26 Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom…. Please refresh the page and try again. "He plucked off the topmost of its young twigs and brought it to a land of merchants; he set it in a city of traders. Verb - Qal - Perfect - second person masculine plural, Who, which, what, that, when, where, how, because, in order that, Verb - Qal - Perfect - first person common singular, Preposition-l | Noun - proper - feminine singular, Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Consecutive imperfect - first person common singular, An edge, extremity, a wing, a flap, a quarter, a pinnacle, Conjunctive waw | Verb - Hifil - Consecutive imperfect - first person common singular, Direct object marker | second person masculine plural, Untranslatable mark of the accusative case, Preposition | first person common singular, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, OT Law: Exodus 19:4 You have seen what I did (Exo. The next portion of Deuteronomy 32 (verses 15–25) recounts and admonishes against forgetting the Lord, as that generation’s parents had done.