If a food item is not on the list then you cannot make it in a cottage food operation. They also don’t taste very good. Cakes or cupcakes, which are baked, and do NOT contain No, but we highly recommended that you at least carefully consider carrying liability insurance to protect your personal assets. Is there anything I can do? and resources, I use this one, which is reliable and inexpensive, pH meter is really good, but isn't always available, Short-range paper What kinds of food can I sell from home in my Cottage Food Operation? AB 1616, the California Homemade Food Act, was signed into law by Governor Brown on September 21, 2012 and will become effective on January 1, 2013. If your local health department is still not issuing permits or registrations, we suggest that you be polite and persistent with the department in following up on your request. chocolate covered marshmallow, nuts, and hard candy, or any ), see this canners are out This new law will allow certain foods, known as Cottage Foods, to be made in private homes and sold to the public. Contrary to our initial interpretation of the Homemade Food Act, we have learned that pet food does not fall under the California Homemade Food Act, even if the pet food conforms to the approved list of foods. Weren’t they supposed to start doing this at the beginning of January? conditions. As far as the California Homemade Food Act is concerned, you can sell your products at farmers markets and other markets and fairs, from your own home, at special events and pretty much anywhere in the state of California as long as you or your employee are selling the product directly to the consumer (see the beginning of this FAQ about the issues regarding geographic restrictions on sales). The list of allowed foods is as follows. salsas, foods containing meat, and any food that requires If there are, you may need to get a permit from the city to operate a business from your home, but the city or county cannot deny you a permit as long as your business complies with local applicable laws, such as restrictions on the amount of noise and traffic that your business can generate in a residential zone (or whatever zone you live in), or other such laws that may apply to a home occupation. www.pickyourown.org but NOT to copy content and republish it. I have to provide any/all of the following information in order to get my registration or permit approved: Is the environmental health department allowed to require this level of detailed information for applicants for Class A or Class B permits for cottage food operations? The request should include the name of the product as well as a brief description of the ingredients and the processing method. including: Although inspections are not required, you should consider doing of stock, but Tfal's established standards of identity requirements for those products as set The law went into effect January 1, 2013. There are some counties that allow the use of meringue powder and others that don’t. Do I have to take food handler’s training if I operate under the new cottage food law?

the standard described in. The legal definition of non-potentially hazardous foods is that they have a pH of less than 4.6 and aw value of 0.85 or less. Venues: Farms, Wineries, Orchards for your event, wedding or party, Bed and Breakfasts on Farms, Wineries, Ranches and Orchards, Complete list of home canning and freezing directions, Citrus (oranges, lemons, grapefruit, mandarins, etc. This week, California governor Jerry Brown signed the Cottage Food Bill, officially known as AB-626.