Posted on April 10, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged broomstick method, Butcher, kidney, liver, rabbit meat, Slaughter. Tools needed for dispatch: metal rebar post, kitchen sheers, hand pruners, a paring knife, and a large knife (not shown) to remove the head. It's easy - we only need your email address, then hit the 'subscribe' button. This Here are several humane methods I will be making some of these and will post more information on this. Send us your country, city, and area code to obtain a shipping quote. Once you’ve done both legs, you are left with the loin You’re now ready to portion the loin. The head is immediately removed to allow complete bleeding.

I have made them in the past.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. In a variation the the Fatal Blow, a sharp blow to the top of the head renders the rabbit unconscious. ), Rabbit Classifieds | Rabbits Wanted and For Sale, Rabbits for Sale in NJ - New Jersey Rabbit Breeders - Rabbits for Sale, Rabbit Genetics: Easy to understand basics of genetic inheritance.

We consider the Fatal Blow to be very humane, however there is more room for operator error, in our opinion. Immediately cut the head off. These humane methods result in a painless Despite this fact, our butcher does not utilize this method, possibly because it doesn’t result in instant death. Then I give the spine a whack with the cleaver by laying the cleaver blade on the spine and whacking it with my palm. When you get to the ribcage, you fillet the meat off the ribs, as far as you can go, which is usually where the front leg used to be.

A broomstick or other straight pole is placed on the The animals showed no distress whatsoever. I have used two basic processes for slaughtering rabbits.

Why is it more dangerous?

Available in a great assortment of colors! See picture above left. Do not hold dressed carcasses for any length of time in water as they absorb excess moisture which becomes considered as a contaminant. Start by turning the rabbit over and slicing right along the line where the loin starts, then running the knife along that edge to the ribs. Create your own unique website with customizable templates. The skins of young or fryer age rabbits are easily removed in this way, it is more difficult to remove the skins of older rabbits. Start on the underside and slice gently along the pelvis bones until you get to the ball-and-socket joint.

Your last step is to chop the loin into serving pieces. Cut the head off and hang the rabbit up by the feet so it can finish draining. Place a sturdy broomstick type of rod of wood or metal behind the ears over the rabbit’s neck. Sixth, hang the rabbit by the hind legs to We use a 1/2" metal rebar fence post that we purchased at Tractor supply. Remove the tail and pull the skin down and forward over the body(like taking of a sweater). rabbit is pulled upward at 90 degrees by its hind legs. All packaging, handling, and Media Mail postage costs, (sadly, Media Mail is not offered for international shipping, not even for, (International shipping is available, of course, but it's out of our control how much they charge for shipping. Basic butcher station set-up. The first method is achieved by holding the rabbit and then hitting the rabbit on the back of the head with a blunt object. The head of the rabbit was slid into the V and pulling fast and hard downward, it dislocated the neck and was extremely quick. Third, step on one side of the broomstick. If you have trouble cutting through a joint in the neck bones, you can disarticulate the neck with the same motion utilized in the broomstick method, and then cut the head off. Wash the carcass with clean, cold water to remove hair and any other soil or debris, and store it at a cold temperature. He'll not be too sure about this unusual position, but he'll settle down. We use it as a towel holder. I’m interested in learning the dimensions of the killing board, I watched a YouTube video on this method, and I think it might be the best one for us, since I could easily build one. **Warning- could be considered graphic** Raising healthy, happy meat is most homesteaders goal. Since God declares Himself to be loving in nature ("God is love" 1 John 4:8), and since God frowns on cruelty to animals (Exodus 23:4, 12, Deuteronomy 22:1, Proverbs 12:10, to name a few among many passages), we believe that this method probably results in far less stress to the animals than we would tend to assume.

Click the Rabbitry Name Links for all the details: rabbit news, husbandry and health tips mostly every month. down, will form a V with the ears, which will be alertly forward. Our very own classy Raising Rabbits T-shirts! If your farm’s rabbit meat tastes sweet like chicken, that This is the method of killing that the Bible specifies. (Deuteronomy 14:4). Get  rabbit news, husbandry and health tips mostly every month. quick and painless, and nearly foolproof. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account.

They make great gifts too!! First, place the rabbit on the ground in By Karen Patry , Copyright © 2009-2020 Raising-Rabbits.com. I do this by taking my cleaver severing the spine by banging the cleaver down with my palm. A sharp blow to the base of the head, done correctly, results in instant death. The second method also works well and is my method of choice.

Any stress during the butchering process can result in the release of adrenaline Remove the carcass from the hanger and cut off the rear feet at the hock joints. In this video I will show you how to do a cervical dislocation on a chicken, using the broomstick method. Since I can’t see how deep I’m cutting, I do two things. Why are they typically mounted on the ceiling, rather than on a post or wall like the “Rabbit Wringer” type devices? Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. After dislocation or stunning, the rabbit is hung by one of the hind legs above the hock joint. The ribs go into the stockpot too. means the rabbit died peacefully and humanely. It is certain that the end of a domestic meat Slide your knife up from underneath, along the ribs, and slice through. This involves cutting through muscle and fur only, since the ( Log Out /  down. front of a handful of alfalfa hay or other treat. Either with rope or hook the rabbit Thur the rear hocks. Basically, I hold the animal in one hand upside down so it is “hypnotized” manipulating the head slightly by moving the ears with my hand holding the rabbit upside down by the scruff of its neck for the best hypnotizing position. You want a It is an extremely quick method for killing the rabbits, and leaves little room for any mistakes to be made. The broomstick secures the rabbit’s head on the ground while the This method is called the “broomstick method.” Basically, you lay the rabbit down on the ground, and put a bar across the back of the neck stepping down on either end of the bar, with a swift motion, you pull up on the hind legs, dislocating (breaking) the neck of the rabbit. neck bones are completely separated. I have seen and used a “Killing Board” this was a board with a V cut in it. 3 Comments. Hang the rabbit by the hind legs, even while in the throes, on heavy hooks, or with slip knots in shoelaces secured by a nail in the side of the butchering space (pictured above right). Order your own today!

Rabbits for Sale in NJ (New Jersey) - Find New Jersey rabbit breeders in your local area in New Jersey that raise your chosen rabbit breeds, Rabbit Genetics - dominant and recessive trait inheritance principles applying equally to rabbit coat color genetics and other genetic traits. ← 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT RABBIT MEAT, RABBITS UNWILLING TO BREED- Causes and Cures, 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT RABBIT MEAT, FEEDING RABBITS BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS, Low Profile Airlock Cap for Mason Jars to Ferment and Pickle Fresh Foods, PODCAST- The Self Sufficent Gardener/ Raising Rabbits- With Rise And Shine Rabbitry, PODCAST- The Self Sufficient Gardener- Advanced Rabbit Raising With Rise And Shine Rabbitry, PODCAST-The Survival Podcast / Rabbits and Sustainability – With Rise And Shine Rabbitry. The front feet are then removed.

The feet are secured with cord looped back on itself and tightened onto the center of the foot. Now that your rabbit is cut up try some of my recipes in the DOMESTIC RABBIT RECIPES section! Click the Pic! All rights reserved. (This is commonly done to trim nails and do other stuff on rabbits) Then, while holding it in that position, slit the side of the throat on one or both sides with a longish, very sharp knife. Click the Rabbitry Name Links for all the details: Breadbox Rabbitry Netherland Dwarfs in NC, Provisions 134 Rabbitry Giant Angora Rabbits in MA.

Then slice around the back leg with your knife to free it from the carcass. other side of the broomstick, and then pull the rabbit’s body upward by the This method also ensures you will get blood on your hands. I do this by using my boning knife to slice a guide line through to the spine. Next comes the belly. Third, step on one side of the broomstick. downward. Liver, kidneys, and heart can be put aside to use or freeze. ( Log Out /  To cut up a rabbit you need a very sharp knife and have a clean towel handy to wipe your hands, and a bowl for trimmings. running, hiding, dodging, getting caught and then ripped limb from limb while still The process is very Killing Rabbits with the Broomstick Method First, place the rabbit on the ground in front of a handful of alfalfa hay or other treat. That’s why we place it at #3. A lot of people ignore this part, but if you think about it, it’s rabbit bacon! Place the rabbit on the ground in front of a handful of alfalfa or other treat. Second, place a broomstick across the rabbit’s neck. And who doesn’t like bacon? Bookmark the permalink.

Hold the rabbit by the hind feet, head alive. break in the neck. In the opinion of the rabbit butcher at Aurora Rex Rabbit Ranch, there are at least three very humane methods of killing rabbits for dinner. rabbit’s neck. Subscribe to  Rabbit Rhythms, our e-newsletter ! Enjoy! rabbit is nothing like the fate suffered by wild rabbits - I think it is very important for you to take good care of your rabbits, and even when it comes time to butcher them they need to be handled humanely. As for slaughter, I’m the outlier and use a different method that is considerably more dangerous, but ensures a good bleedout, is humane, keeps the rabbit calm throughout, and doesn’t bruise the meat. ( Log Out /  Strike and other endocrine hormones associated with the animal’s flight response. Dressed rabbits may be packaged whole or can be cut into parts. point of the V - immediately behind the ears but not on the shoulders. After the head, forefeet and skin are removed, the carcass, while still hanging, is opened to remove the innards. Make a cut from the lower part of the abdomen near the anus to the mid-point of the lowest rib.