Madeline Kahn: Being the Music on Facebook! I'd say under the circumstances, she's entitled to use a bit of language.

He wasn't going to say, "OK, this is how we're going to fix everything" and wrap it up in a bow. Q: I'd forgotten about the ridiculous conservative backlash. But what you realize is Fred was talking about fundamental human issues that not only go back to Shakespeare and literature, they go back to the Bible. But I think he came to understand how big his soapbox was and how much power he did have, and became much more strident in what he was trying to do, and much more ambitious in the later years of his show. And it was really when I first went to the Fred Rogers Center, before I even decided to make the film, and the first thing I wanted to see was the Bobby Kennedy assassination special, because it only aired one time, it's never been repeated, and I'd read about it.

Thank you very much for this. review.

I would watch the show as much for Mr. Rogers as I did for the entire supporting cast/stars including Ms. Aberlin.

He inspired endless spoofs, from Eddie Murphy on SNL (“Can you say ‘scumbucket’?”) to SCTV‘s “Mr.

At the theater, Betty hosts various musicians and performers. There’s only a brief hint that he grew up a rich kid; there’s no love for my man Chef Brockett. A kindly adult hosting his PBS series from 1968 to 2001, greeting kids every day with “Hi, neighbor!” Not a phony, not a hypocrite, not a predator. Hi,Excellent interview.Beautiful woman.She'll always be there.I wish I could have that ugga mugga you got. A: It's amazing. Morgan Neville thought so, too. Song You Need to Know: Cordovas, 'High Feeling', Trump’s Tantrum and the Constitution’s Imaginary ‘No Do-Overs Clause’, Here’s Where Things Stand in the Final 4 States That Will Pick the President, Bernie Sanders and More Politicians Read Mean Tweets on ‘Kimmel’, Kanye West Concedes Self-Serving Presidential Bid, Threatens 2024 Run, If Trump Tries to Sue His Way to Election Victory, Here’s What Happens, Sean Connery: The Craggy Charisma of the Last Real Movie Star, Adele Reminds the World Why We Need Her More Than Ever, Mariah Carey’s Diva Lit Masterpiece: Knowing Me, Knowing You, Not Knowing Her, after his touching “Carpool Karaoke” appearance, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol: From A to B and Back Again. You know, there's a bit of a tortured artist to him that I found kind of revealing. He was incredibly driven, and to me the thing that I found out before we started making the film, that (his wife) Joanne Rogers had told me, about him being on his deathbed and saying to her, "Am I a sheep or am I a goat?"

/ And all of that food!”), but eventually going Full Fred on Little Creatures and True Stories. He was always saying, "Oh, I don't know how much influence I have, I don't know, I'm just kind of doing my work here." The only person who didn't do an interview was Betty Aberlin (who played Lady Aberlin), and I talked to her many times for many hours on the phone. "Here"? Just to pick the most obvious example, David Byrne was an artist who self-consciously styled himself as a parody of a Mr. Rogers square, at first ironically in Talking Heads songs like “The Big Country” (“Look at that kitchen! These are the kind of fundamental questions he was asking again and again. The funniest version: Christopher Guest on the National Lampoon comedy records, interviewing spliffed-out jazz bassist Bill Murray. The responsibility is in each and every one of us to be the best neighbor we can.

One interesting thing I found out, was that he could not take written exams, and they all had to be oral.I learned love, patience, and gentleness from Fred.Thanks,Charles Gilbert Wright. “They can’t wait for me to make nothing happen.” Rogers had that same mystique – he was all about the day-to-day tiniest moments, making his nothing happen. Q: Every couple of weeks the video of him testifying before a congressional committee to save funding for public television pops up. After a year of #MeToo exposes, plenty of heroes have taken a fall. As he asked the Senate in 1969: “What do you do with the mad that you feel / When you feel so mad you could bite? But yes, Fred Roger's approach in this, as in so many other areas, is a long way from Sesame Street.

The estate had never given permission for anything like this. A: I think his superpower was emotional honesty (laughs). You would think of anybody on this planet, Mr. Rogers would feel like he had done all he could do. Thanks for writing! Things To Do app: Get the best in events, dining and travel right on your device. But people who are great at something usually have that kind of motivation. Consider her attempts to understand and to explain her pre-Rogers existence in Rogers terms. Ultimately the experience of working on the film, and maybe watching the film, is he's going to find that bullseye in you.

We want to hear from you! It's great to hear her thoughts on the show and I wish that she and the other cast had been included in the documentary that PBS did about Mr. Rogers. He was talking about how we build a neighborhood, and these fundamental questions of how we live together in society, and how we should treat each other, and kind of a reminder of the basic human values we all share, and we all ascribe to when we decide to live together in a community.

I would love to see that Margaret Hamilton episode but sadly haven't seen it pop up on youtube yet. It's a pretty astonishing moment when Hamilton, a kindly grandmother, puts on her Wicked Witch of the West costume: not so scary, after all, because it's only make-believe.

And I feel like as we grow up we mask a lot of those things, and we hide our intentions.

In a way it's a power that children have. Somebody I was walking to, their job was to find him a pool every day when he was traveling, and said the only time the Mr. Hyde would come out was if he wasn't able to swim that day. "Now more than ever, Fred Rogers matters." Fred Rogers is not one of them. He would drop by his school that he graduated from, every once in awhile.

Yes most of the guests were classically trained musicians, or artists. (Warhol even got shot the day before the RFK assassination, an event that inspired one of the documentary’s most poignant moments.).

After that conversation, Betty Aberlin consented to be interviewed about Mister Rogers, for the purposes of this blog. “We’re gonna go to the Magic Kingdom!” “Aw no, man – it’s too early for me. To me, Fred Rogers was and always will be the closest thing to a saint.

In This Article: Watch LIVE: azcentral.com's election recap digs into Arizona's vote count and more, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy.

He is the same in real life as we see on TV that is for shure.

is not necessarily a perfect documentary, to be sure. Most insightful and interesting.

Q: The things he talked to kids about were tough — war, death, that kind of thing — but they're also things we still need to hear.

It's not even just that he was a great advocate for public broadcasting. In fact, her delicate and tender side was what I gravitated to probably the most. "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"