I bought my first pen at the LA pen show in 1994. You can find a good one for $50-$70 and they're common. Steel is too stiff for me. ._3Im6OD67aKo33nql4FpSp_{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBorderColor);border-radius:5px 5px 4px 4px;overflow:visible;word-wrap:break-word;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);padding:12px}.lnK0-OzG7nLFydTWuXGcY{font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;padding-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-navIcon)}

The Snorkel is almost as good, but has a slightly more complicated repair because it has two O-rings that need to form a vacuum and a sac.

You can drop it, take it on airplanes, write constantly, and it will outperform pretty much everything else. Close. That's the oldest fountain pen shop in the United States and Fred Krinke is the third generation of his family to run it. How is the Wancai's nib? Dollar for dollar, old pens (once restored) are better writers than new ones. You can even fill cartridges with another dropper-type fountain pen with a fine nib. If you want to write in hot pink, invisible, whiskey-scented, fraud-proof, or multicolor ink, now you can.

These are normally sold separately, for about $5. Franken-flusher for Pilot fountain pens. Warning: Only use fountain pen inks.

Higher weight isnt always better, but for a fountain pen you dont really want to go below 70g.

It also worked well on a Pilot Metal Falcon. "Hundreds" is no hyperbole, this site has 600-700 choices. Finally, let me emphasize that having a pen repaired is relatively inexpensive and completely worth it. 41 comments. The De Atramentis Document Blue was the wettest ink, quickly soaking the fiber and flowing into the “gills” around it. So, you're thinking of getting your first fountain pen? The inks were J. Herbin Ambre De Birmanie, Krishna Kot-Massi Ochre, Kyo-no-oto Yamakilro, and Noodler’s Harold’s Hearse.

.ehsOqYO6dxn_Pf9Dzwu37{margin-top:0;overflow:visible}._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu{height:24px}._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu.uMPgOFYlCc5uvpa2Lbteu{border-radius:2px}._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu.uMPgOFYlCc5uvpa2Lbteu:focus,._2pFdCpgBihIaYh9DSMWBIu.uMPgOFYlCc5uvpa2Lbteu:hover{background-color:var(--newRedditTheme-navIconFaded10);outline:none}._38GxRFSqSC-Z2VLi5Xzkjy{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._2DO72U0b_6CUw3msKGrnnT{border-top:none;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);cursor:pointer;padding:8px 16px 8px 8px;text-transform:none}._2DO72U0b_6CUw3msKGrnnT:hover{background-color:#0079d3;border:none;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-body)}

I am new to fountain pens and have been very scared about buying my first nicer/pricier one (been using craft store cheapies). By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. save. This one runs for $15, but many places have been selling out. Now if we can just get it linked on the sidebar... You might mention that Japanese nibs tend to run a size smaller than Western nibs.

I took some kitchen scissors to my old bulb irrigator, and an empty standard pilot cartridge to create a Pilot Franken-flush. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. My biggest problem was a standard infant snot sucker wouldn’t fit to flush the feed, just like on a normal Pilot. Guide to Chinese fountain pens by /u/JobeX. New pens often have a cheap steel nib.

Guide to finding your first fountain pen by /u/RgyaGramShad. /r/fountainpens - A community for fountain pen enthusiasts, from the novice to the collector. /r/fountainpens - A community for fountain pen enthusiasts, from the novice to the collector. I have a couple steel nibs that I've smoothed into decent writers. The Preppy's feed is a more standard design, although the Petit's semi-enclosed fiber feed has some real advantages (and drawbacks).

Now, Ink. ._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ{border:1px solid transparent;display:block;padding:0 16px;width:100%;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-body);border-radius:4px;box-sizing:border-box}._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:hover{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-primaryButtonTintedEighty)}._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ._2FebEA49ReODemDlwzYHSR,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:active,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:hover{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText)}._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ._2FebEA49ReODemDlwzYHSR,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:active{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-primaryButtonShadedEighty)}._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:disabled,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ[data-disabled],._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ[disabled]{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-primaryButtonTintedFifty);color:rgba(var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText),.5);fill:rgba(var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText),.5);cursor:not-allowed}._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:active,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:disabled,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ:hover,._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ[data-disabled],._1zyZUfB30L-DDI98CCLJlQ[disabled]{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-body)}._1O2i-ToERP3a0i4GSL0QwU,._1uBzAtenMgErKev3G7oXru{display:block;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);height:22px;width:22px}._1O2i-ToERP3a0i4GSL0QwU._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_,._1uBzAtenMgErKev3G7oXru._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_{height:14px;width:14px}._2kBlhw4LJXNnk73IJcwWsT,._1kRJoT0CagEmHsFjl2VT4R{height:24px;padding:0;width:24px}._2kBlhw4LJXNnk73IJcwWsT._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_,._1kRJoT0CagEmHsFjl2VT4R._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_{height:14px;width:14px}._3VgTjAJVNNV7jzlnwY-OFY{font-size:14px;line-height:32px;padding:0 16px}._3VgTjAJVNNV7jzlnwY-OFY,._3VgTjAJVNNV7jzlnwY-OFY._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_{font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;text-transform:uppercase}._3VgTjAJVNNV7jzlnwY-OFY._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_{font-size:12px;line-height:24px;padding:4px 9px 2px;width:100%}._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs{font-size:14px;line-height:32px;padding:0 16px}._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs,._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_{font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;text-transform:uppercase}._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs._2ilDLNSvkCHD3Cs9duy9Q_{font-size:12px;line-height:24px;padding:4px 9px 2px;width:100%}._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs:hover ._31L3r0EWsU0weoMZvEJcUA{display:none}._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs ._31L3r0EWsU0weoMZvEJcUA,._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs:hover ._11Zy7Yp4S1ZArNqhUQ0jZW{display:block}._2QmHYFeMADTpuXJtd36LQs ._11Zy7Yp4S1ZArNqhUQ0jZW{display:none}._2CLbCoThTVSANDpeJGlI6a{width:100%}._2CLbCoThTVSANDpeJGlI6a:hover ._31L3r0EWsU0weoMZvEJcUA{display:none}._2CLbCoThTVSANDpeJGlI6a ._31L3r0EWsU0weoMZvEJcUA,._2CLbCoThTVSANDpeJGlI6a:hover ._11Zy7Yp4S1ZArNqhUQ0jZW{display:block}._2CLbCoThTVSANDpeJGlI6a ._11Zy7Yp4S1ZArNqhUQ0jZW{display:none} Bleed-Through - where the ink soaks through the paper. Others have commented on wanting a section about paper, but I disagree, other then mentioning the very basics.

Runners up (in terms of refill quality): Zebra Sarasa 0.5 Uniball Signo UMR-85 Pilot G2 0.38 For a beginner's guide, I personally don't think mentioning any of the "advanced" nibs (italic, oblique, flex) is necessary.

FWIW, i have converters for all my pens, and a syringe, but I rarely use the syringe.

By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Some brands use interchangeable nibs, allowing you to quickly change sizes. nice to see such a detailed review of a pen I rely on so often! Standard lined paper will not work very well anymore for someone upgrading.

(I like both EF and F personally, but a lot of people seem to think EF is too thin.) It's cheap ($20-$30), made of durable ABS (think Lego), and writes great. r/Pen_Swap: I'm selling all my non-Pilot pens to reign in & focus my collection. If they need a repair, it can often be DIY or you can have someone else service the pen for $30-$50. Two major brands are obviously Rhodia and Clarfontaine at 80g and 90g weights respectively.

Alternatives include the Lamy AL-Star, an aluminum safari, or the Lamy Vista, the see-through version. Other inexpensive, well-liked pens include: Parker Urban, made by fountain pen legend Parker ($20-30), Kaweco Sport A compact pen, with no clip.

I'm a huge fan of mine, when I got it I got one pack of every color of the cartridges so hopefully I don't need to worry about converting it anytime soon lol. When you buy the pen, you'll be able to choose different nib sizes, which, along with the ink you use, determine the thickness of the lines you write. It's a nice accessory to have, since it also lets you get every drop of ink out of a bottle (especially a sample vial.).

If you use a converter you can use hundreds of different inks, instead of the handful you'd be limited to with cartridges.