After all, if you accept the worst possible outcome, there's nothing left to make you afraid. courses that prepare you to earn Beowulf begins with death – with the description of the lavish burial-at-sea of the Danish king, Shield Sheafson. What is the historical context of this, What is an Anglo-Saxon trait, theme, or literary device used in this quote from Beowulf: "None Of the wise ones regretted his going, much. Then down the brave man lay with his bolster under his head and his whole company of sea-rovers at rest beside him. The best quotes from Beowulf - organized by theme, including book location and character - with an explanation to help you understand! But the Lord was weaving a victory on His war-loom for the Weather-Geats.

However, on the heels of this victory comes an attack by Grendel’s mother, bent on vengeance for the death of her son. Get access risk-free for 30 days, He gave me landand the security land brings, so he had no callto go looking for some lesser champion." JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. Far-fetched treasureswere piled upon him, and precious gear.

Not sure what college you want to attend yet?

And the forthright Unferth, admired by all for his mind and courage although under a cloud for killing his brothers, reclined near the king. Quotes Beowulf Quotes Then Beowulf spoke—on him the armor shone, the mail-shirt linked by the skills of the smith: Hail to you, Hrothgar! We learn that generosity, a fighting spirit, and willingness to defend one's country is worthy of honor. Grendel's mother sets out to avenge her son's death by killing someone from the tribe that killed him. Whichever one death fellsmust deem it a just judgement by God. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. ‘As God is my witness, I would rather my body were robbed in the same Burning blaze as my gold-giver’s body Than go back home bearing arms. Grendel may be a demon from hell, but he's insignificant compared to the mighty power and goodness of God.

That is unthinkable, unless we have first Slain the foe and defended the life Of the prince of the Weather-Geats. Hrothgar reminds Beowulf that he shouldn't get too cocky; after all, no matter how many great deeds he performs, there will eventually be some kind of catastrophe that kills him. oh fortunate young/ Warrior; grow richer, let your fame and your strength/ Go hand in hand; and lend … Create your account. Do not give way to pride.For a brief while your strength is in bloombut it fades quickly; and soon there will followillness or the sword to lay you low,or a sudden fire or surge of wateror jabbing blade or javelin from the airor repellent age. Beowulf slices Grendel's arm off, and it is clear the monster will not survive the attack. succeed. "Wear these bright jewels, belovèd Beowulf;/ Enjoy them, . Instead, his honor and the honor of his men are enough to set the great warrior, Beowulf, at ease. (691-696). And if that leaves you wanting more, Beowulf is ready to And I shall fulfil that purpose,prove myself with a proud deedor meet my death here in the mead-hall." Inspired again by the thought of glory, the war-king threw his whole strength behind a sword-stroke and connected with the skull.