Join my mailing list to receive the latest contests, news, recipes and updates. Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Required fields are marked *.

Lay the flat pork loin on top of the pork belly. If you try doing this on a conventional grill, you’ll have to setup up a two-zone burner with indirect heat. Oftentimes, the pork belly is roasted with the loin still attached on one side. Porchetta (pronounced "pore-KET-ah") is a famous Italian dish of boneless and butterflied pork shoulder stuffed with freshly made sausage and wrapped and roasted in pork belly, which crisps up oozes delicious juices when the porchetta is sliced.

Seriously, it’s a showstopper. In North America, it can also be …

I used a combination of orange and lemon zest here, but lime and grapefruit would also be wonderful. While this definitely makes life easier when it comes time to tying the porchetta with butcher’s twine. As mentioned, if you can find a pork belly with the loin attached and want more meat in your porchetta, then go for it! Tie with butcher's twine at intervals to hold it all together. Then, flip the pork so that it’s skin side-down and score the meat in a cross-hatch pattern, slicing around one quarter of an inch deep.

This way, the wire rack can rest flush on the dish. Your email address will not be published.

Let the porchetta rest 20 minutes, then carve into slices.

Not only because deeply scored skin has a tendency to break apart when carving, but also because depending on the direction you score the belly, there’s a chance there will be less skin altogether. Ask your butcher to butterfly the pork loin so it lays out flat with a one-inch thickness. If you watch my Porchetta episode of the LBCS (low-budget cooking show), you’ll notice I roasted my porchetta in my Traeger. Just be careful not to pierce through to the subcutaneous layer of fat. When ready to cook, preheat your oven or Traeger Grill to 350F.

Finely chop the fronds.​. Porchetta is a very old Italian way of roasting the pork, it comes out juicy, crispy, and delicious, everything we love so much in meat dishes! Lay the pork belly, skin-side down, on a work surface. Stir through lemon zest, season and allow to cool. Porchetta (pronounced "pore-KET-ah") is a famous Italian dish of boneless and butterflied pork shoulder stuffed with freshly made sausage and wrapped and roasted in pork belly, which crisps up oozes delicious juices when the porchetta is sliced. We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.

By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, Porchetta Sandwich with Salsa Verde and Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Cuts of Pork: a Pig Diagram and Pork Chart, Roast Pork Loin With Sweet Potatoes and Apples.

If you don’t have one, a microplane rasp grater (aka zester) is a fantastic tool to have. You can cook the porchetta now, or refrigerate, uncovered, overnight.​ If you've refrigerated the porchetta overnight, allow it to come to room temperature for two hours before roasting.​, Liberally season the porchetta with Kosher salt and pepper, then set it on a rack in a roasting pan or a rimmed baking sheet. The only difference is that you should butterfly the loin itself to increase the surface area, allowing more of the seasonings to penetrate the meat.

It will last around 5 days in the fridge. If you want to make it spicy, hit it with an acidic hot sauce or chili oil when serving. Line a sheet pan with a wire rack and place the pork on top, seam side-down. Set aside. Season the skin with salt and refrigerate, uncovered, overnight or up to 48 hours. Just make sure the wire rack you use is oven-safe, because not all are.

Just cut open the pork down the center, lengthwise, stopping one inch from the opposite side. I’ve even seen a recipe that calls for using fennel pollen, which can get very expensive, very quickly. You can also squeeze in a bit of the juice if you so desire. Otherwise, things will likely burn. Los Angeles food writer and personal chef Gene Gerrard shares his years of cooking experience and expertise by leading cooking demos at culinary expos. If you’re in the GTA, check out a Whole Foods, Cumbrae’s, The Healthy Butcher, or an Italian butcher shop. Set aside.

This Porchetta recipe is everything you hope it will be. Nevertheless, it does not solve the problem of having the skin shatter into pieces when it comes time to carving.

Using your hands, massage the seasonings into the crevices of the score marks.

Ultimately, you three options: Each of these methods will result in a less-greasy, yet very moist and juicy, porchetta with delicious, beautiful, crispy skin. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Insanely delicious, incredibly easy, and impossibly simple. Like the wire rack that sits atop it, a deep roasting dish is necessary here to catch any rendered fat as the porchetta cooks. A wire rack is absolutely crucial because you want to be able to elevate the pork as it roasts.

Think of the pork belly like a burrito with the skin being the tortilla. However, keep in mind that you want to keep the skin of the pork as dry as possible before roasting it, so try to keep the juice on the meat only.

Porchetta: Stuffed and Rolled Italian Pork Roast. As a matter of fact, whole slabs of pork belly are not entirely common in North America as it is, so chances are you’ll have to seek out a butcher or specialty store that can cater to your porchetta needs. Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, easy porchetta, gluten-free porchetta, gluten-free porchetta recipe, paleo porchetta, porchetta recipe, whole30 porchetta. Feel free to mix and match as you desire. If you’ve never tried it before, Porchetta is a classic, Italian preparation of slowly roasting pork belly with the skin on. Freshly zested citrus will impart some fruitiness and a tiny bit of acidity.

Remove the porchetta, tent it with foil, and increase the heat of the oven or Traeger to 500F. Porchetta is the gift that keeps on giving. Set the pork, skin-side down, on a board, spread over stuffing and roll up, tie tightly with string, transfer to a large foil-lined roasting tin (adding back any stuffing that might have fallen out), rub over remaining salt and fennel seeds and cook for 30min.