Photos 12 and 13 shows pump panels on two Smeal rigs featuring a black textured finish.

The truck features a 2½-inch preconnect with a playpipe designed to be pulled from the passenger’s side. A common preconnect storage area is below the forward facing seats on rigs with custom cabs.

Photos 1 and 2 show a Smeal pump house with four single-stacked crosslays with hose connections plumbed to the sides of the pump house. Which lay will you conduct?

Some Driver/Operators take laying a supply for granted, but I encourage you to practice and train on these skills. The strength of the Brotherhood is the sum of the commitment that each of its members bring to the table. Brian Butler “Let it Burn!” Thanks for writing this.

When fighting fires that require more water than the booster tank holds; It is vitally important to get a continuous water supply established. The entire width and length of the hosebed above the top of these hosebed dividers does not appear usable. The center lay is piped to the driver side and the rear to the passenger side. If you want the inside of a pump house protected from corrosion, you should specify how you want it done.

You have to earn it and continually work to maintain it. Mistakes that are often made on the fire ground are Driver/Operators that lay their line down the middle of the street or block  intersections that other apparatus need to come through. By choosing “I Agree”, you understand and agree to Clarion’s Privacy Policy. He notes that moving parts, such as steering linkages, cab locks, spring suspensions, axles, and so on, are not be coated with this material, but are be painted with high-quality gloss black paint. Don’t be the firefighter who jammed up the scene because of  a poorly laid supply line. The entire bumper assembly on Ferrara’s MVP in Photo 15 is also black—seemingly with a more aggressive finish. Photos 4 and 5 show a Sutphen pump house with three single-stacked crosslays.

The anti-freelancing movement started with good intentions and is a noble gesture.

I mean that is what we are taught from Day One in the Academy, right? Recently I have been promoted to captain, and now I have a higher level of accountability when it comes to our company. Fire cannot be bluffed, intimidated, or distracted.

Note that the telescoping lights mounted on back of the cab do not interfere with the dead lay.

Your graduation from the academy didn’t make you my brother.Your getting hired onto a department doesn’t make you my brother. The frame, cross members, bumper backing reinforcement plate, radiator skid plate, spring hangers, cab lock mounts and required bolts shall all be in place prior to treatment to ensure complete coverage. What makes you my brother or sister is your commitment to me and my fellow brothers and sisters, to be there in times of need and in good times; to remember those before you who gave their lives so that we won’t lose ours;  to never leave my side in a fire even if that costs you your life; your commitment to my family and the families of those who serve with us. I was severely injured causing me to have several surgeries along with amputations of 2 of my fingers. Red and blue preconnects pull off the driver’s side and yellow and green are on the passenger’s side. Also a Marion, the pump panels in Photo 10 and 11 are enclosed behind roll-up doors.

I do understand there are times it is not possible. The movement against freelancing is killing the fire service. Understand that I can completely and utterly agree or disagree with the beliefs, political views, taste in food or music of my brother or sister; but they  are still my family. In 1974, he was among the first group of firefighters in the State of California to be certified as an emergency medical Technician (EMT). One foam-capable preconnect is plumbed on each side. The definition of S.L.I.C.E.R.S. Click the buttons below to learn more about how to subscribe. I found it interesting that after delivery the fire department marked the reel controls “this side” and “the other side.” They also added “preconnects” above the factory-supplied labels with just numbers and small tags reading “1½ front” and “1½ rear.” Purchasers might want to consider specifying control labels’ size, color, and script to meet their individual requirements and not what a manufacturer may have as its standard. The brotherhood promotes friendship and helps it flourish.

Ok let’s back up. FireEMS Blogs Network. Stay up to date on everything Fire Apparatus.

Paul Christiansen, aerial sales manager at Ferrara explains it is not a paint but a seamless coating called F-Shield. When fighting fires that require more water than the booster tank holds; It is vitally important to get a continuous water supply established. A Reverse Lay, which is from the fire back to the water source. Purchasers should be mindful that manufacturers will build what fire departments specify. Clear thought, clear purpose, clear action, are the lobes of that key. It is in no way meant to reflect or infer the rules, regulations, standard operating procedures or position of any employer I may serve.