Two of his .45 Colt loads are the .45 Colt+P 265-gr. The Ruger Redhawk .45 ACP/.45 Colt model uses specially designed

Bigfoot Gun Belt Review: A Sturdy Companion To Withstand The Stresses Of Daily Wear, The 7 Best Gun Belt Options For A Comfortable Carry On Your Person, Nine Amazing Facts You Didn’t Know About How A Gun Works, How Old Do You Have to Be to Buy A Gun? The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply. (We’ve updated the wording in the article as what we initially wrote was definitely not clear, sorry for the confusion.).

The .45 Colt and .45 ACP chambering would require at least double the time and shooting as well as ammunition as a sixgun with only one chambering, while trying the other cartridges would certainly add to this.

This is relevant to me. Calling the .45 Colt the .45 LC (or Long Colt) was a just a way to make sure no one got their different .45 cartridges mixed up. The single action trigger pull did not help any in my testing as it measured over 71/2 pounds on the Brownell’s Trigger Pull Gauge. I was hopping to be able to use the same ammo in my springfield semiauto 45 and a henry lever action but that does not seem to be.

They are not interchangeable. I have no way of knowing if that had any bearing on the decision but I at least like to think the fact we now have a Redhawk chambered in the grand old cartridge had something to do with our conversation that day. Absolutely getting 357/38special for availability and cost. The gunsmith created the round for a new .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol that he was also designing for Colt. I’ve got a Ruger Super Redhawk and Henry Big Boy in .44 mag and Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special and I think that the .44 loads are a better choice if you want bigger holes in the target. Thank you. Garrett’s Hammer Head .45 Colt loads are a good choice for the Ruger Redhawk. Yes, I know it was meant for a rifle. The Gun Cranks, Brent Wheat, Roy Huntington and Tom McHale are joined by special guest Jim Shepherd to talk about what happened after election day and what... Not everyone casts bullets or reloads their own ammo. The .45 Colt ACP will NOT work in a Colt Single Action pistol or a Colt rifle! The short answer is that +P+ ammo is a load that’s pressure is about 18% higher than a standard load. The latest Ruger Redhawk is designed to accept and fire .45 ACP and .45 Colt loads in the same cylinder. … Technically the M9 slid in there between the 1911 and the Sig — thanks for the heads up Erik. To discern the differences between the three, and the non difference between the later, a little history is in order. So the 1911 is actually still in use today by the US military. Only regular .45.” I shook my head and walked out. We often have shooters ask us if they can fire 38 Super in their 38 Special revolvers. '99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Dan Wesson ECO, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD. I don’t want to be specific about what I learned as I’m sure Ruger doesn’t want incorrect calibers fired in this sixgun. 45 ACP and 45 Long Colt ammo are not interchangeable. Thompson Center’s and Ruger’s offerings for the 45 Colt breathed new life into the old round that had eluded the older Colt revolvers and even the Smith & Wesson N-Frame. This cannot be said about the Garrett Cartridges of Texas 365 LFR (Large Frame Revolver) +P Hammer Head. The .45 Colt (which after the creation of the .45 ACP became known as the .45 LC (Long Colt) was a black powder revolver cartridge.

Colt had ceased production at the onset of the war, but soon tooled up to make the classic revolver again and offered it in its original chambering: the 45 Colt!

In fact my third thought was they would not be very user-friendly when it came to felt recoil; I was wrong.

It is awful tempting to go .357 and shot some .38 as well…, I’m planning(eventually)to get a levergun. Interesting read, as I have used the term interchangeably, but not much, as I own nothing I have seen brass at the range marked 45 LC, however, so the myth is perpetuated. Walther PPK Review: Style & Functionality, Barrel Length – How to Measure & Why It Matters.

It was also offered with a 51/2″ barrel and in both blued and stainless steel versions. The “Long Colt” appellation caught on more because of that, I think, than the other .45 rounds extant at that time, but I wasn’t there, so I could well be wrong. cost? It makes it much easier to extract that brass reliably than a case with no taper like the .45 Colt.

My personally assembled Low Recoil load using the Oregon Trail 225 hard cast round nosed bullet over 5.0 grains of Bullseye for 688 fps also shot relatively well, with a five-shot group of 13/4". bullet at just under 1,100 fps. This prototype ultimately became the infamous 1911 model that changed the way firearms were made and functioned up until this very day.

Garrett Cartridges of Texas is now owned by my friend Ashley Emerson and he has been adding to the original list of high quality ammunition offered by Randy Garrett. Check out Jim Linebaugh’s custom guns and the loads he’s developed for them. To end that dispute there is a simple answer!

As token of our appreciation, sign up and receive: Much confusion has been in the newer gun owners’ minds over the question of the difference between the .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt nomenclatures in. The .45LC colt needs no dimensional changes to far exceed the performance of the.44Marcum.

It isn’t as common as 9×19 or .45 ACP ammo, but it is plenty available. For about a decade the moniker 45 Long Colt was applicable when differentiating between the two rounds but by the dawn of the 20th century the Schofield had long been retired and sold on the surplus market, by the end of World War 2, both revolvers were becoming distant memories and Colt’s latest offering that proved itself in the Second World War (the M1911 chambered in 45 ACP) was becoming the new favorite among shooters.

When reloading .45 Colt cartridges, standard reloading practices apply. .45 ACP has long been used in double action .45 Colt revolvers. What does mbs adj on a bank statement mean? Cases of ordinance were simply marked “Pistol, 45 caliber”. I have already sent off my check to purchase this revolver so the next step is to have my gunsmith, Tom at Buckhorn, smooth out the trigger. The threaded area of the frame is very thick, double what one finds in many other sixguns, and the massive cylinder is locked at the rear and front of the cylinder itself rather than at the end of the ejector rod. Loaded with snakeshot, it becomes a pest exterminator as it can hold a greater amount of shot than the .44 Magnum, put two .45 round balls in the case, you’ve got a veritable shotgun that can reach out and put both balls in a 5 inch circle. When did organ music become associated with baseball? Hi Bunker – the measurement is how large the rim diameter is relative to the cartridge’s base diameter. Still an awesome performer in a handgun. As long as I can fondle it, that’s good enough. Another time, in a other place, asked for .45 acp, and the guy just looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead so then I said, .”45 auto?” He said “no we don’t have either of those. It’s perfectly fair of them to wonder if they could – “super” and “special” are similar concepts, after all, and it doesn’t help when they’re preceded by the same number. At least here in Wyoming, you can find .45 Colt ammo easily. Great article. Even if you somehow get the cartridge to fit, I would not recommend putting the 45 ACP ammo into the chamber of your 45 LC pistol — it could lead to a big boom that is more likely to hurt you than a potential attacker. I have a S&W model 25 labeled 45 Long Colt on the barrel. This was the best, most precise, and comprehensive answer I’ve seen. along with the CorBon 200 JHP in .45 Colt. Our convenient site navigation and “blitzkrieg shipping” ensure your ammo shopping experience is a great one. My theory is these loads have such a free bore to follow through the cylinder they don’t always enter the barrel straight on and have trouble maintaining their stabilization much past 10 yards. The Colt .45 and the .45 Long Colt is the same cartridge. Eight times anything is bigger..1/8 of is smaller..What or how are you measuring?? .45 Colt is the most versatile cartridge ever and if it’s a swing out cylinder revolver, the cylinder can be cut for moon clips and can shot .45 ACP. When all else fails, this is the correct term to which we fall back. In comparison, a standard 45 ACP cartridge has a 230 grain bullet and 850 fps muzzle velocity, giving it 369 ft lbs muzzle energy. Mike Searson’s career as a shooter began as a Marine Rifleman at age 17. Asked for .45 colt, the guy came back with .45 acp.

How will my inability to eat during the first trimester affect my baby?

Notify Me When Available. It was named the 45 Colt and all was right with the world. On the flip side, too many cartridges also have multiple, dissimilar sounding names. However, no extra sights are provided. I especially had good luck with my old standard load of 8.0 grains of Unique. The 45 ACP, on the other hand, has a .451” bullet. The funny part is how anal so many are in the firearms world today.

The barrel carries a heavy rib and the top strap literally speaks of brute strength. not interchangable. Two years later Army units began adopting the Smith & Wesson Schofield Revolver for use as an alternate sidearm.

And, a more sedate load straight out of the Hornady manual is a 2400 and 250gr XTP at 1200fps as well.

It didn’t take long to find out that this revolver was very picky when shooting .45 ACP loads. a totally different animal. Who is the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time? I had about 2500 rounds of .38 and .357 on the shelves along with reloading dies, 158 gr semi wad cutter bullets, and small pistol primers.

How long will the footprints on the moon last? With the advent of the .45 Blackhawk in 1970 we had the strongest .45 Colt single action ever offered; now we had its double action counterpart. In any case, .45 colt is easy enough to find; both boring lead round-nose “cowboy” loads and (thanx to the Taurus Judge) a decent selection of personal-defense loads to choose from. After a few decades, interest in the old guns wavered again and colt retired the SAA in 1978.

SO as someone said previous get a 45 colt lever gun and you could get a 454 casull revolver because that will chamber the 45 colt as well, plus give you the option of a solid magnum round.

I’M OBVOUSLY A LOST BALL IN HIGH WEEDS WHEN IT COMES TO FIRE ARMS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO DEFEND MY HOME IF NEED BE. For the 45 ACP, the rim is .04″ larger than its base. This Redhawk has a 4″ barrel, is constructed of stainless steel, and has the typical excellent Ruger adjustable sights with the front sight having the interchangeable feature. 45colt is less common and pricier. As a dedicated semi-auto cartridge, the 45 ACP features an extractor groove that provides a surface for a handgun’s extractor to purchase against during extraction. What?? Was planning on getting a lever action in .45 colt as well, but I guess that was just a myth….

Much stronger toggle designs than the originals, smooth action, and lots of aftermarket support for better sights, short stroke kits, etc. Yep, I agree. I’ve started doing research on postwar-to-1890 firearms for a game I’m developing, and this hits the sweet spot.