All Rights Reserved. th , a new award-winning documentary slated to open on October 30 He was paroled in 2012.

The stabbing, they said, had instead been committed by neighborhood drug dealer and gang affiliate Dario Rodriguez. from

When you say ‘coming home’, what are you coming home to?

His grandfather and uncles were also riders and horse trainers.

He was paroled in 2012. [citation needed], Cordero has now retired from riding, but continues to be involved in the sport full-time. In every biome, there are two different ghosts (with the exception of the Ghost World), one that spawns more often and one that spawns less often (common and rare). Cordero was born in Santurce, Puerto Rico. U.S. IB: Emotionally, it was also tough to stay neutral as a filmmaker in the process because I felt like we went through the trenches with Angel and he’s coming out on the other side like a brother. Viko Nikci Help us advocate for the innocent by sharing the latest news from the Innocence Project.

That’s a big change. So when he’s going through his struggle on camera, we’re feeling it, we’re in the room. AC: When I spoke to [Angel]  about the film, I wanted to be fair. . But, the truth is with out the support of people helping in this battle I would be lost. Flaws in the Justice System: Examining the Angel Cordero Case Rose C. Itzcovitz ... works to exonerate wrongfully convicted individuals, Cordero fits the description of the ... page sworn statement, confessing to the stabbing which Cordero was accused of.

I began to rebuild my life as soon as I got released. Cordero rode three Kentucky Derby winners and won over 6000 races in his career. He had left a 3 year old. caught up with Angel ahead of the film’s premiere to explain the evolution of the film and his collaboration with director On Wednesday, Ron Jacobsen set foot in his hometown of New York City for the first time in 30 years. In 1976, he won on Bold Forbes and in 1985, on Spend A Buck. VN: Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the Innocence Project: Angel Cordero was just 25 years old when, in 1999, he was arrested for the attempted murder and robbery of Jason Mercado—a college freshman from Boston University who was stabbed while walking in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx. You can’t really hide the truth from filmmaking. I had never made a documentary, and I’ll probably never make another one, but once I met Angel, I just saw him and saw how he engages with people and thought he’s such an interesting character, and I just put the camera on him to see what happens. On the morning of May 16, 1999, the life of then-25-year-old Bronx resident Angel Cordero was about to change forever. Q&A with Angel Cordero, Star of Wrongful Conviction Documentary Coming Home By Andrew Z. Giacalone Angel Cordero was just 25 years old when, in 1999, he was arrested for the attempted murder and robbery of Jason Mercado—a college freshman from Boston University who was stabbed while walking in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx. Cordero is the father of five children. He voted for the first time in 2010 after his exoneration. He is the agent of fellow Puerto Rican horse jockey, John Velazquez. IP: Beyond the more obvious reasons, how is Angel’s release from prison and return to society reflected in the film’s title? Angel Cordero: Cordero's wife, Marjorie Clayton Cordero, who was also a well-known figure in New York's thoroughbred racing, died on January 24, 2001. . I do remember feeling it was surreal that someone wanted to make a film about me and that I was going to get an opportunity to share my story, my struggle. There’s a lens looking at you, and it’ll know if you’re lying. What is it like to rejoin society? Innocence Blog Hopefully the film can help the story be heard and assist in my full exoneration. Now, he wants his kids to know their vote matters. But it wasn’t just the first time ... Fernando Bermudez spent 18 years wrongfully convicted. And in the chapters where she describes her time as a lawyer, she spoke about Angel. And that’s essentially what we did. Please avoid sharing any personal information in the comments below and join us in making this a hate-speech free and safe space for everyone. AC: Cordero's wife, Marjorie Clayton Cordero, who was also a well-known figure in New York's thoroughbred racing, died on January 24, 2001.

He served the full sentence, even after the real culprit confessed to the crime years after. So we just went in open that way.

He turned on the TV and saw a Ghost World TV Special hosted by the guys and Slimer.

How does your innocence factor into the film’s narrative? What [the documentary is] about is “coming home” – not the case, not the number, but Angel the person. Clemente Aguirre was exonerated two year ago, but Florida has denied him compensation for the 14 years he lost to wrongful conviction. Sixteen years have passed since the fateful day of his arrest and now, as he works to reclaim his life and family while fighting for legal recognition of his wrongful conviction, Angel Cordero has also become the improbable subject of a feature-length documentary. He led all jockeys in wins at Saratoga Race Course for thirteen years. Clemente Aguirre was exonerated two year ago, but Florida has denied him compensation for the 14 years he lost to wrongful conviction. Vimeo And he came back to a sixteen year old. I am lucky that I had great family support and was able to go to school and get a certificate as an electrician.

Ángel Cordero Jr. was inducted into National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1988 and in 2001, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame . Press "Enter" or click on the arrow to show results. It’s called Thank you for visiting us. Time in prison tends to stand still and I have forgotten some of it.

It has been created collecting TMs from the European Union and United Nations, and aligning the best domain-specific multilingual websites.

He served out his sentence; he’s still fighting. Among his other accomplishments, Cordero was the winner of four Breeders' Cup races and was the leading rider at Saratoga Race Course for thirteen years. . Please avoid sharing any personal information in the comments below and join us in making this a hate-speech free and safe space for everyone. Yes, I think it can be an added piece to the puzzle that can lead to my exoneration. Innocence Blog: How did you stumble upon Angel’s story and why did you decide to make a film about his case? IB: Innocence Blog

Earlier this week, the

There’s a lawyer called Claudia Trupp and she wrote a pretty good book about her life as a lawyer and her life as a mother. Thank you for visiting us. 13 years prior, Angel was wrongfully accused of attempted murder and sent to jail. VN: Despite indications that the crime had been perpetrated by neighborhood drug dealer and gang affiliate Dario Rodriguez, and despite Rodriguez’s eventual confession, Angel Cordero was convicted and served every day of a 13-year sentence.

VN: You know, I hope it does.

In 2010 he was inducted into the African-American Ethnic Sports Hall of Fame[2], National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame, Angel Cordero Jr.'s profile at the United States' National Museum and Racing Hall of Fame, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ángel_Cordero_Jr.&oldid=971728984, United States Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame inductees, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2016, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 7 August 2020, at 21:17. It just made it so much more poignant, so much more relevant. What are your plans now that you are out, both in terms of rebuilding your life and fighting your wrongful conviction?

IP: Do you think the film can add to the national conversation on criminal justice reform? Cordero was the first Puerto Rican jockey to win all three of the American Classic Races, the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes, though not all in the same year. The gravity of the film was so much stronger because now everything you see—his fight, his struggle not only to clear his name but to reconnect to his family, to get a job—when you put into context the fact that he did not do this, you just feel a lot deeper. And there is another guy who was confessing on camera. Intercepted by police in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx, Cordero was arrested for the attempted murder and robbery of college freshman Jason Mercado, who had been stabbed while walking in the area. Triple Crown series:Kentucky Derby (1974, 1976, 1985)Preakness Stakes (1980, 1984)Belmont Stakes (1976), Breeders' Cup wins:Breeders' Cup Distaff (1985)Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (1988)Breeders' Cup Sprint (1988, 1989), Ángel Tomás Cordero Jr. (born: November 8, 1942 [1]) is one of the leading thoroughbred horse racing jockeys of all time and the first Puerto Rican to be inducted into the United States' Racing Hall of Fame. And I thought that was some of the most compelling footage I had ever come across and that was like injecting dynamite into the whole thing. eyewitness misidentification Cordero is the father of five children.

© 2020 Innocence Project. at New York’s Village East Cinemas. What were you taken from? Ángel Cordero Jr. was inducted into National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1988 and in 2001, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame. However, against the wishes of his family and friends, in 1995, Cordero saddled up again to ride the Breeders' Cup once more. It was therefore only natural that Ángel would follow in their footsteps and start racing - which he did at a young age. You can learn more about how we consider cases here. ‘Coming Home’ deals with the aftermath of the release of Angel Cordero. .

A few times I broke down. It’s hard work but with a felony I had to choose a career path wisely.

Michelle, Angel’s wife, had sent me that book. Coming Home on I am a member of the IBEW Local 3 Electricians Union.

VN Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the Innocence Project: On the morning of May 16, 1999, the life of then-25-year-old Bronx resident Angel Cordero was about to change forever.