CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (, reservoir at Fifth Avenue and Forty-Second Street, Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature, The Young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920, "Dorothy, the Algonquin hotel and how the legend just kept growing", "City Makes It Official: Algonquin is Landmark", "Algonquin Round Table Musical "The Talk of the Town" Returns to Original 1919 Oak Room Setting", Young Indy on DVD: A Tour of Volume 3: Disc 8, "Aviva Slesin collection of research and production materials for the ten-year lunch: the wit and legend of the Algonquin Round Table (1920s—1988)", New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Algonquin_Round_Table&oldid=986065265, Articles with unsourced statements from June 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 29 October 2020, at 16:01.

This brought Round Tablers widely into the public consciousness as renowned wits. Elaine: (to George) I don't know what your parents did to you. Groucho Marx, brother of Round Table associate Harpo, was never comfortable amidst the viciousness of the Vicious Circle. When George says, "Remember how Quayle looked when Bentsen gave him that Kennedy line?" Toohey, annoyed at The New York Times drama critic Alexander Woollcott for refusing to plug one of Toohey's clients (Eugene O'Neill) in his column, organized a luncheon supposedly to welcome Woollcott back from World War I, where he had been a correspondent for Stars and Stripes.

Alan Campbell directed and wrote (with former Washington Star reporter Randy Sue Coburn) the 1994 film Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, about Dorothy Parker and her relationship with the Robert Benchley and the larger group. “When I was growing up, I had three wishes – I wanted to be a Lindbergh-type hero, learn Chinese and become a member of the Algonquin Round Table.”, 59 West 44th Street | Between Fifth and Sixth Avenues | New York, NY 10036.

Woollcott's enjoyment of the joke and the success of the event prompted Toohey to suggest that the group in attendance meet at the Algonquin each day for lunch. If they're not Dockers, they're just pants. The organization's bronze plaque is attached to the front of the hotel. The Round Table was just a lot of people telling jokes and telling each other how good they were.

Short w/the (in)famous critic/wit/curmudgeon Alexander Woollcott, Algonquin Round Table member who was the model for 'The Man Who Came to Dinner' (1934) He found success as a playwright and went on to win four Pulitzer Prizes. Kaufman and Connelly funded the revue, named The Forty-niners. The Round Table was made up of people with a shared admiration for each other’s work.

MAN: You got it. Seinfeld (1989) - S02E04 The Phone Message - Yarn is the best way to find video clips by quote. Not all of their contemporaries were fans of the group. We use cookies to provide you with a great experience and to help our website run effectively. George Kaufman teamed up with Edna Ferber and Marc Connelly on some of his best stage comedies, including DULCY and THE ROYAL FAMILY. A Times Square fine dining draw for New York’s literary, artistic and theatrical elite for over 80 years – including the original “Vicious Circle” of the Roaring 20’s – The Round Table Restaurant still inspires with a tasteful and modern take on American cuisine. A Times Square fine dining draw for New York’s literary, artistic and theatrical elite for over 80 years – including the original “Vicious Circle” of the Roaring 20’s – The Round Table Restaurant still inspires with a tasteful and modern take on American cuisine.