I’ve learned so much from studying the Bible in this way and I think you will too! This is one of my favorite bibles! This blessing isn’t just for the Jewish people! All rights reserved, What a Christian Needs for a Hebrew Roots Lifestyle. God also provides directives for the priesthood including a specific command to bless the people using what is commonly referred to as the Aaronic blessing.

Aside from being a nice thing to say before congregants exit the sanctuary, why is it said and where does it come from? In the Sinai wilderness, God’s giving them instructions for their new desert lifestyle as free people. I’ve given the blessing throughout the world and seen amazing things happen. Adodnai is written and said in this phrase instead of the tetragrammaton, YHVH, which is not said in order to avoid profaning God’s name. It’s said at the conclusion of the service in Christian churches of many denominations, as well as in most Jewish synagogues.

I am a Christian mother of five wonderful children, blessed with an amazing husband. He also extends his prayer shawl or tallit over his head and his hands as the blessing is said to indicate reverence and also to obey the biblical command to have fringes or tzitzit on the corners of one’s clothing. The Shema (Deut 6:4-9) expresses our desire to follow God and serves as a reminder of how we should live our daily lives. In a synagogue, when the congregants are blessed, the one performing the blessing raises his hands as Aaron did as recorded in the bible (Lev. This has led this practice to be nicknamed “the raising of the hands”. My quest for a genuine relationship with the God of the Bible caused me look deeper into His Word to find out how to live, which is how I arrived here, as a Hebrew Roots mom. Translated here as “gracious”, this word means “to show pity or your children, please don’t let the learning process or the newness of doing so If true, this would be another of many unfortunate examples of pagan customs infiltrating God’s people even back then. At first, only God had the authority to bless. (Ya’ayr Adonai panav ‘aylekha – יָאֵר יְיָ פָּנָין אֵלֶיךָ). I own this necklace and it's very attractive.

Some hold their hands in the shape of a shin (ש), the Hebrew letter at the beginning of the word Shaddai, which is a name for God. The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, (Yeesa’ Adonai panav ‘aylekha – יׅשָּׂא יְיָ פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ). 10:8 and 21:5). Some incidences of Aaron blessing the people in God’s name are found in Leviticus and Deuteronomy (Lev. to do this blessing once you start as it may be awkward at first but will Now available on my new online store! This blessing was God’s idea as He instructed Moses to tell Aaron and his sons to bless the people of Israel using these words. One very interesting thing you’ll notice as you’re learning about the blessings is that there’s a progression in the bible of exactly who was allowed to give a blessing. In the book of Numbers, where this blessing is found, the Israelites are experiencing their newfound freedom from their Egyptian captors. What do you need to be a Christian? Whether said in English or in Hebrew, usually one puts their hands on or above the one(s) being blessed and then says the blessing.

If I ever find spare time, I use it for gardening, snowboarding, and studying the Hebrew language. In Judaism, it used to be that only priests would give this blessing but it’s now extended to rabbis and worship leaders. 9:22 and Deut. This is an idiom (a saying) meaning “He looks at you with peace Beyond just peace, shalom’s meaning also includes wholeness I will drop anything to play cards with someone. How can one anoint people with His Name but not say His Name? The Aaronic Blessing, also known as the Priestly Blessing, is commonly known among Christians. 9:22). It’s said at the conclusion of the service in Christian churches of many denominations, as well as in most Jewish synagogues. We can bless God’s people in His name and, due to the power in His name, He does indeed bless through it. It has long held a special place in my life as my father first told me of our descent from the house of Aaron. become among your family’s most treasured moments, as it has become in mine. © 2019 HebrewRootsMom. Aptly named “The Silver Scrolls”, they were dated back to the first Temple period and were possibly used as an amulet to ward off evil. As grafted-in Gentiles, we’re able to take part in the promises extended to Israel and to gain nourishment from the same roots from which they thrive. In ancient Paleo-Hebrew, the Aaronic Blessing was contained in the writing on two scrolls made of silver found in an ancient burial site. – וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֺם). When we accepted Jesus as our savior, we officially joined the Kingdom of God, which started with the nation of Israel in the Old Testament.

But what an amazing find! The Aaronic Blessing, also known as the Priestly Blessing, is commonly known among Christians.