This book is wonderful because it gives such a close look inside the crisis and truly humanizes it through Doaa's story. She must stay alive for them. Doaa Al Zamel’s is exactly that, but it is also an incredibly accessible primer on what life was like in part of Syria before the war started, the excitement that the Arab Spring brought, and the realities of suffering that families and communities have been made to endure both in the war zone. If the bricks and mortar of the fallen cities of Syria, the grains of sand on the beaches of Egypt and the water of the Mediterranean could speak, this is one of the stories they might tell.

She meets and falls in love with Bassem, a former Free Syrian Army fighter and together they decide to leave behind the hardship and harassment they face in Egypt to flee for Europe, joining the ranks of the thousands of refugees who make the dangerous journey across the Mediterranean on overcrowded and run-down ships to seek asylum overseas and begin a new life. by Flatiron Books, A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival. She then worked with more professionals, including an Arabic-speaking journalist who conducted some of the interviews without Fleming, and “added perceptive commentary and contributed descriptive writing”, and a writer who provided “edits and additions [which] helped bring the scenes into more vivid focus with colour and emotion”. As peaceful protesters are shot on the streets and tanks roll into her city, eventually she and her family decide to leave their homeland.

This is a MUST read.

When Bassem buys rat poison to kill himself because Dooa won't marry him, and Dooa's mother takes it away from Bassem then has a nervous breakdown over the whole issue, I was thinking maybe this did happen somewhere (Telemundo?

I don't want to call it inspiring, because it's horrifying and I don't think we should glorify suffering or somehow legitimize what Doaa went through as a thing to be aspired to - but that does not mean that Doaa's inimitable spirit and determination to find a different life aren't incredibly uplifting, especially considering the circumstances. But then she felt Malak’s tiny arms around her neck and realized that she alone was responsible for this child (206)”, Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for History & Biography (2017), We are reading this for bookclub this week. Wow. Because if A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea does push more people into action and solidarity, then it will have done vital work; the most important work, perhaps, that a book can do right …

This book is written by the chief spokesperson for the UNHCR and is also an interesting insight into the work of organizations charged with alleviating the refugee crisis. Doaa and her family leave war-torn Syria for Egypt where the climate is becoming politically unstable and increasingly dangerous.

288 pages (Thankfully not the boat escape)I'm learning so much from them and their resilience is amazing just like Doaa's in the book. Margie Lafferty, See all 5 questions about A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea…. Fleming is also so eager not to assume any knowledge among her audience that explanatory asides on the political situation sometimes thud in too regularly. Doaa's brave story is so important, and I hope a lot of people pick this book up. Doaa must stay alive for them.

LIBRARY.

Today, Thanksgiving in the USA, I do realize how much I have for which to be thankful. Find books by time period, setting & theme, Read-alike suggestions by book and author. The story of a Syrian refugee who, in an attempt to escape to Europe, ends up nearly dying in a shipwreck and struggling to save two little girls, the same ages as my daughters. She then worked with a number of colleagues to interview her, and first told the story as a TED talk, with the help of a couple of editors and a speaker coach. I don't know how else to describe it. I hope that its rather guarded tone does not prevent Zamel’s story from breaking through to readers who have not heard such a tale before. Search: It is forbidden to copy anything for publication elsewhere without written permission from the copyright holder. She supposedly is translated as having said she was pressured for a long time to ’love’ Bessam, and then she actually did after their dreadful trip across the Mediterranean, but I think it is PTSD and survival guilt.

Genre: Biography/Memoir The great pieces of storytelling that I have encountered about the refugee experience give voice to those who know the horrors. What a shocking story. Read this book, be inspired and heartbroken by Doaa's story, and remember to never lump a group of people into one category just because it's the easiest thing to do.

Thank you! A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea is her first book.

© BookBrowse LLC 1997-2020. But this nonfiction piece hit home. Because if A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea does push more people into action and solidarity, then it will have done vital work; the most important work, perhaps, that a book can do right now.

How and can you share any examples? Doaa Al Zamel’s story of her rescue with two small children in her care after a ship rammed her boat filled with migrants fleeing Egypt fills us with horror and disbelief. Doaa's story is heartbreaking and deserves to be told to the world. How is A Hope etc changing your view on the news, if at all? Very heart-wrenching story.

A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival (September 2017), A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea by Melissa Fleming - 4 stars, Readers’ Top Histories and Biographies of the Last 5 Years. "The story of Doaa is dramatic, riveting, and ultimately hopeful.

"In a few years, when people will look back at our current time of conflicts, dislocation, and displacement, the story of Doaa al-Zamel - and of those she saw die, and of the new life she saved - will stand out as one of its defining narratives." If I had a way to make everyone in the west read this book, I would. in "The BookBrowse Review" - BookBrowse's online-magazine that keeps our members abreast of notable and high-profile books publishing in the coming weeks. Title A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea provides a portrait of the refugee crisis that cannot be matched by any amount of cable news coverage." I'm glad I read this book but it unfortunately is just one of so many sad and horrible stories from Syria. I am in awe of the coura. I was hesitant to read this book, but I'm glad I did. Just $12 for 3 months or I paint in words and voices, rhymes and rhythm I am truly honored to have read this story. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published To see what your friends thought of this book.

Very sad and depressing, but this book taught me to thank God for what he has given me and be grateful. This was ridiculously hard to read.

To order a copy for £14.44 go to bookshop.theguardian.com or call 0330 333 6846. More Information | Search String: Summary | Perhaps no one knows the meaning of resilience more than Doaa Al Zamel. READ.

I had to double check Goodreads to make sure I hadn't checked out a book intended for a Young Adult audience- I hadn't. I told one remarkable refugee story on the TED stage: “By the end of 2014, UNHCR would record close to 60 million forcibly displaced people, 8 million more than in the previous year. For they have borne witness to the plight of hundreds of thousands of refugees like Doaa. It's heartbreaking. Reading her book, an account of the refugee crisis as experienced by one Syrian woman, you can see immediately why Fleming thought that telling this particular story could be a way forward.

Jan 2017 For they have borne witness to the plight of hundreds of thousands of refugees like Doaa. January 24th 2017 When you give the crisis a face ... a personality .... a character ... the way you see the world will never be the same. $39 for a year.

Young Syrian refugee Doaa's story is heartbreaking and powerful. She must not lose strength.

More Books, One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival, Published in USA  We’d love your help. For days as Doaa drifts, she prays for rescue and sings to the babies in her arms. Yes.

The scary part is that parts of the book matches stories told by my students. Author Seeing the Syrian conflict and resulting refugee crisis from the perspective of one family and one young woman in particular, made the situation clear and more poignant.