That load, in a carbine, is approaching the performance of some lighter .45-70 Gov. Actually, we can divide 45 Colt sixguns into several reloading levels, and I have moderated these somewhat over the past several years, with the first two levels being very close together. The final level includes custom five-shot Rugers and the Freedom Arms Model 83. The recoil is considerably more than the cowboy loads described earlier, but it’s more than manageable in the 7½-inch-barreled revolver and has proven to be the most accurate of the hunting loads I’ve developed. One problem inherent with the original #454424 was the fact that when sized to 0.451 to 0.452 inch, the crimping groove almost disappears. Pyrodex P is the equivalent of Triple-F or FFFg black powder.

Space constraints keep me from looking at all of these powders in depth, but I can cover a few. For SAA-class loads, I invariably prefer Alliant’s Unique powder. .45 Colt (Hodgdon Pistol Data) reloading data with 230 loads. Mag. The .44 Mag. CorBon offers a 335-grain hardcast lead flat-point in the +P designation, which leaves the muzzle at 1,025 fps and produces 820 foot-pounds of energy. I call my 1st gen.SAA a 45 Colt and my 1911 is a Colt 45 but the rest of my world uses 45 long Colt for the SAA and 45 Colt or Colt 45 for the 1911 so I just roll with it and not get to excited,I have a Uberti 1873 lever action chambered in 45 Colt and its barrel is marked 45 LC so this problem is not going to go away anytime soon.I love the caliber to death no matter what they call it.

I was hoping someone could tell me the chamber pressure & muzzel velocity of using a 230 gr FMJ-RN bullet over 6.4 grains of Titegroup in a .45 colt case with a COL of 1.60. 45 caliber (451, 454 dia) 45 GAP 185 GDHP 45 GAP 185 TMJ 45 GAP 200 45 Automatic 200 LSWCM 45 Automatic 230 LRN 45 Automatic 185 GDHP 45 Automatic 185 TMJ SWC 45 Automatic 200 TMJ SWC 45 Automatic 230 GDHP 45 Automatic 230 TMJ RN 45 Colt 200 45 Colt 200 LSWC 45 Colt 230 45 Colt 250 45 Colt 250 LSWC 45 Colt Ruger & Contender Only 250 45 Caliber Hard Cast Lead Bullets for Reloading. However for someone to,provide muzzle velocity they will need to know the pertinent data on the revolver you are using. 17 Rem Fireball. Most ammunition manufacturers still offer the original load of a round-nose or flat-point lead bullet of 250 to 255 grains, with a muzzle velocity of about 800 fps, and that formula works as well as it did in 1873. I can keep a full cylinder of shots within a 3-inch group at 45 yards, which is more than acceptable to me with my mid-40s eyes. I try not to excessively flare the case mouth, giving just enough to allow the bullet to seat properly yet not overworking the brass. A forum community dedicated to Ruger firearm owners and enthusiasts. For many decades reloaders have been arguing over whether or not H110 and W296 were identical. Each month new loads are added to the database. There have been many modern upgrades to ammunition for the older wheelguns and lever-action rifles in the past decade, and the .45 Colt is no exception. With the coming of Ruger’s Blackhawk chambered in 45 Colt in the early 1970s, we finally had a sixgun that could tap the tremendous potential of the 45 Colt cartridge. After all the work and expense, it turned out to be a somewhat mediocre performer. Can I load a 45LC with 230 gr 45acp bullets ? The .45 Colt runs on a standard large pistol primer, and I prefer the Federal GM150M for its consistency and reliability. All Rights Reserved. Idk. Trijicon's new RMRcc features the durability and reliable controls that have made the RMR so successful, but its reduced dimensions make the “Concealed Carry” model better suited for the popular small-frame pistols designed for discreet carry and personal defense. That configuration adds quite a bit of versatility to traditional lever guns and makes a perfect choice for folks who hunt deer and bear in the thickly forested Northeast, as I do. A check of Hodgdon’s loading manuals shows these two powders using the same charge weight produce the same velocities and pressures. Get the 74th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. That brings us to the next level, which includes 45 Colt revolvers built on the Ruger Super Blackhawk frame and the Ruger Old Model Blackhawk, the arrival of which led to two separate load sections showing up in loading manuals. This email contact address is not an "Ask the Firearms Expert" service.

My gun performs better with heavier bullets, and I’m fine with that. I limit my distances to 35 to 40 yards, and although Mr. Bruin and I haven’t met when I’ve carried the Blackhawk, I’m confident the venerable cartridge will get the job done. The Colt Single Action Army, Colt New Frontier, Ruger New Model Flat-Top, Ruger New Vaquero, and Smith & Wesson Model 25/625 are all very close strength-wise. Not really true as lots of guns assembled in the 50's, 60's and 70's (Target Model 25's) had overly large throats. The original loading was a bullet of approximately 255 grains with a muzzle velocity of somewhere around 850 to 900 fps. The Blackhawk has a 7½-inch barrel, generating a bit more velocity, but more important to me, giving me a longer sighting radius. of titegroup and you will be ok pressure wise for the 230 gr. For my Blackhawk, as a hunting/defense load, I like the Hornady 300-grain XTP-Mag bullet seated over 16.5 grains of Accurate Arms No. The cartridge has a sound design: a semi-rimmed configuration — that small rim has been criticized through the decades but has never posed a problem in my gun — that has enough case capacity to drive the .452-inch-diameter bullets to respectable velocities in older Single Action Army revolvers and even higher velocities in modern SAA clones, such as the Ruger Blackhawk I love so much. 7 Accurate No. The original conical bullet found in black powder 45 Colt loads from the 1870s is very close to the Lyman #454190 and the RCBS #45-255 FN. Second, although the .44 Mag. Hello All, I am very new at reloading and want to see if i can get some solid data before i exchange the bullets i just bought since i cant seem to find any reloading data on them.

It also is a most versatile powder as it can be used for standard loads for the Colt SAA and heavy loads for the Blackhawk. Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge. The vast majority of my 45 Colt handloads over the last 60 years, however, has been put together with cast bullets. Although the .45 Colt has been criticized for having a thin case wall, especially in comparison to the younger magnum pistol cartridges such as the .44 Mag. Disclosure: Some of these links are affiliate links. (NOTE: Sections marked “Ruger Only” are not for the New Model Blackhawk Flat-Tops or the New Vaquero!) It is my most used powder both in cap-and-ball and cartridge-firing sixguns when black powder loads are desired.

I tend to float between the worlds, enjoying the classic combinations that have wonderful reputations but not afraid to put a modern spin on a classic. Thanks. Thank you! When time is a problem, actually when sometimes my own energy is the problem, I look to Oregon Trail Bullets. When the new “454 Magnum” revolvers (as they were first called) arrived, however, the brass was lengthened so it could not be used in standard 45 Colt sixguns. My old Lymans manual doesn't show anything smaller than 250gr. Dropping down to 30 grains results in an easier-shooting 835 fps and a group of 1.13 inches. https://www.google.com/#q=smith%20an...0number%20date, Vintage Boxes - Gear, Shell, Case, Primer, Group Buys Design, Active , Waiting and Archives, Closed Buys/Waiting for delivery/in shipment, If this is your first visit, be sure to

Two other powders for standard loads include W231 and HP-38. .45 Colt - Manufacturer Loading Data. A database of .45 acp handloads. Mag. 03-23-2014, 12:14 PM #3. This is my favorite load for early-season black bears, because that Hornady bullet will provide consistent expansion and penetration.

20 Nosler. RCBS also offers an excellent bullet of standard weight with the #45-255KT that has a better crimping groove than the Keith bullet. The availability of all of these bullets is dependent on how much time I have to cast my own. For several years Smith & Wesson cut throats at 0.455 inch or even larger, but now they seem to be running at a more proper 0.451 to 0.452 inch. On the other end of the spectrum, Cutting Edge Bullets makes a 150-grain Handgun Raptor bullet that can achieve very high velocities (upward of 1,600 fps) in the .45 Colt case. In researching this I have found info from 4.4 gr to 7.4 gr. Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. They often equal or surpass the accuracy from my carefully tailored hand-cast bullets. For the 45 Colt this is the Single Action Army revolver. By the standards of the day when it arrived in 1873, and even to this day, the 45 Colt was and is a powerful cartridge. 45 Colt (Ruger & T/C Contender & Encore) Load Data . I normally stay under 900 fps with a 250-grain bullet in Colt Single Action Army revolvers and its replicas. When he died in 1862, the company was dedicated to producing the same percussion revolvers. It can push bullets of similar weight, albeit at a higher pressure and with a bit more recoil. Min Charge Max Charge Optimal Charge Bullet Make Bullet Type Primer Notes; Accurate - #5: 185 gr. 45 Caliber 250 Grain RNFP Hard Cast Lead Bullets. Just do not use RUGER ONLY loads that would be unsafe. In fact, an axiom with me is, “When all else fails, try IMR 4227 before giving up.” Years ago, after tiring of oversized 45 Colt chambers in Colt Single Action Army revolvers and New Frontiers, I started with a 357 Magnum New Frontier, had the cylinder rechambered properly and tightly to 45 Colt, and then had a new 4.75-inch Colt New Frontier barrel fitted. Yet folks who hunt big game with the old cartridge can find plenty of factory ammunition options, provided you have a pistol or rifle designed to handle the higher pressures. The Pulsar Thermion XG50 Thermal Riflescope is the first-ever riflescope to combine a BAE... Trijicon has dominated the Carry Optic landscape on hard-use handguns for years.