This is a bolt-action rifle, with a Mauser-style receiver, 3-position safety and stainless alloy bolt. It is always fun to see the debates concerning which gun (or beer, or pickup truck, or football team…..).

They’d be a heck of a nice truck gun, for example….

As an added bonus, it is true to the original design, and lacks the rebounding hammer and safety of the Winchester/Miroku rifles. Having 13 extra rounds of .357 magnum equivalent in a semi automatic pistol, is reasonable. Versatility. Really anything with a JHP, particularly an XTP-flavored bullet such as the kind that Hornady offers, coupled with a less powerful powder charge will do it. http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/products/rifles/model-1892/carbine/Winchester%20Model%201892%20Carbine%20-%20534177141.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg, https://www.classicfirearms.com/cva-cp701s-scout-v2-lr-pistol-14/. 44 special is more expensive than 44 magnum because of the lack of demand.

That said, which guns should you look for? Don’t remember that. Wood isn’t what it used to be but what gun is. I've shot a number of deer with it over the years, a couple of nephews shot their first few deer with it. . The 240 grain Hard Cast Slug Broke the shoulder (hog was quartering towards us). I agree with Wolfe, when they are made in the US, I will buy one.

©COPYRIGHT 2020, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

The Model 44, which has a closed received and tubular magazine, is a bit more common on the used market (it was in production for longer) but parts are hard to come by, so tread carefully. I prefer the steel Henry to the brass receiver .357 that I got rid of.

As far as ballistics, when fired from a 6-inch barrel revolver, a heavy 240-grain .44 Magnum bullet can reach speeds of up to 1,380 feet per second, generating kinetic energy at the muzzle of 1,015 foot-pounds of force. . Workin' On Our Night Moves Night Shooting Helmet Setup Overview.

The Hog went DOWN. It’ll also be relatively more cumbersome than a revolver for animal defense scenarios where a charging bear is only 10 yards away. Also, no edit button here.

I've shot 6 or 7 whitetail with a 44mag handgun, and one so far with my 444Marlin.

One of Keith’s best concepts—which is also applicable to the .357 Mag.—is that the improved cartridge is simply an elongated version of the parent, thereby allowing the parent cartridge (of shorter length and less pressure) to be fired in the guns produced for his cartridges. .44 Magnum Rifles – When Revolvers Aren’t Enough, Navy Arms Winchester 1892 Lever Action Rifle, Disclaimer Policy And FTC Affiliate Disclosure |. We and our partners share information on your use of this website to help improve your experience.

We’ve built dozens of AR’s and we’ll cover all the best AR-15 upgrades such as handguards, triggers, BCGs, gas blocks, and more. It was a very, very nice Ruger .44 Mag carbine. revolvers, any revolver chambered for .44 Magnum can and will shoot .44 Spl. I got rid of both Winchesters and have never regretted it. He also felt a good 30-30 lever in the hands of LE would be far better than a lot of their handgun options, this close on the heels of the “North Hollywood Shoot-out”. About the time he was divesting himself of Gunsite, Jeff Cooper envisioned and may have actually started an Urban Rifle course using lever guns as a viable home and self-defense option. For larger game and self-defense you can find 340-grain ammunition. The next consideration is size. So I went looking for the Ruger semiautomatic or bolt action because I have shot both and they are great guns.

I would guess they’re one of the lighter rifles in that caliber, which doesn’t help recoil, but still a ton of fun. Oh… the Ruger 10/22 is partially based on the Model 44. 20-gauge shotguns, even firing slugs, have a lot less recoil than lightweight 44 Magnum rifles (yes, I’ve shot both, and the 20-gauge firing slugs had much less recoil than the lightweight 44 Magnum rifle, a CVA Scout 44 Magnum). and the .44 has more rounds. What can you do to make a Ruger 77/44 more accurate. At least mine is. Add capacity, I’d buy one. Shot a couple with my Ruger Bisley. The action is so smooth and the fit and finish are levels above the competition. shares the same rim dimension as its father, the .44 Spl, at 0.514”, but uses a longer case, at 1.285”. One of my favorite carry combos in the field is my Winchester model 94 in .44 and either my Taurus M44 or my Colt Anaconda in .44…..I can carry over 40 rounds in both weapons and on my belt…can take most any game in North America, and really helpful if/when you get into a bunch of hogs here in Texas…. Shooting the powerful .44 Magnum out of a heavier revolver will be easier on the hands, not to mention the longer barrel will have a longer sight radius, making it more accurate over longer distances.

ammunition from being shot from a revolver chambered for .44 Spl. As far as its power level, the .44 Rem. The 30-30 is more useful. Just more low value crap instead of reasoned writing. MSRP is $1070, but you can expect to pay more like $900 in-stores, which isn’t too shabby for one of the classic all-time American firearms. Because revolvers utilize a cylinder with separate chambers for individual cartridges, upon propulsion the bullet has to be “forced” into the bore of the barrel by the revolver’s forcing cone. Typically, people associate the .44 Magnum round with handguns.

He has a background in the entertainment industry and currently works as one of our awesome writers in the field. Some people even hunt with .44 Magnum revolvers. However, Ruger DOES still make the 77/44, formerly known as the M77.

That would be massive! I find it really fun to voice your opinion and listen to other opinions whilst debating! I have also shot a number of deer with .44 magnum handguns. Black Hills 240gr. Not that it would matter too much when hunting where often, assuming you’re facing the animal’s broadside, a single hardcast semi-wadcutter 240-grain bullet in the lungs will be more than enough for a quick humane kill.

I had a 16″ 1894 .44 mag years ago.

I did not find any obvious defects and it still chokes on cartridges that have big, flat bullets. If I’m throwing to my shoulder, chamber it for a rifle caliber. Even better, there are revolvers with barrels ~7, ~8 or even ~10 inches long. And you don’t have to be Dirty Harry (that’s the first thing most people think of when you mention .44 Mag) or into cowboy action shooting to own one. I would also prefer to carry a sidearm, in addition to the carbine, in the unlikely event that I would be allowed time to draw. And it would help reduce muzzle blast and preserve your hearing. No need to worry about that: not only will user comments will have been done away with by that point, but any publication about self defense will be verboten.

The most recent copy I saw was pretty nice. 44 magnum model 94 ( End of the trail model)out of the Winchester plant. Too bad they have a goofy safety and rebounding hammers.

I shoot a TC contender pistol in the 44 rem mag. And stay in touch with newsletters of our best articles on techniques, guns, & gear. He did confirm that the SKU is for the carbine, not the short rifle. Previously, a “carbine” was a shortened barrel rifle meant for use by mounted soldiers, ie, the cavalry. The receiver has scope mounts machined onto the receiver, but also has iron sights as standard.

I would prefer the carbine with the additional power and accuracy. The 77/44 is pretty neat pistol carbine but just too expensive for what it is and they butcher the bbl by putting a useless dovetail cut on the underside that is supposedly part of a manufacturing process. I wouldn’t pay $500 for one, much less $800. And since rifles don’t use a forcing cone that is separate from its chamber, there is no bullet velocity loss when shooting it. I also have a 16″ barrel, lightly built carbine that when I put a stout load down the barrel it really jumps. Start with these six .44 Magnum rifles and you won’t go wrong. Guess you don’t have reason not to love it. We've got you covered.

These Japanese rifles seem put together pretty good. I've killed deer with 44 Magnum revolvers and lever guns. Both have taken BIG deer at 65 and 72 yards respectively — and made BIG holes in said deer. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. The higher Ballistic Coefficient figure will give a considerably better trajectory for mid-range shots. The .44 Magnum is a powerful revolver cartridge. For reference my father’s Rossi rifle seems to function flawlessly if the bullets are a bit rounded. They have two 180gr loads (medium cast HP and SJHP) that are not +p and they both net 1950-2000fps out of an 18.5″ Marlin 1894.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. The comment in the article asking “if you wanted to know what an M1 carbine would be like if it actually had some punch” is out of line. I have also shot a number of deer with .44 magnum handguns.

The shorter 6-inch revolver can be easily carried in a shoulder holster like this generic one from Amazon and won’t be as punishing even when carried for hours.

At 2500+fps they’re going to leave one hell of a mark. I find the Big Boy .44 Magnum rifle as a stand-alone when looking for the most exciting rifle in the market. Henry USA, of course, also makes a few. Uh, 18 to 20″ barrel lengths are carbines. Looking for previous installments of Behind the Bullet? The little mannlicher stocked Ruger has proven to be an excellent choice for stalking whitetails in heavy cover. You’ll just have to know where to look. Would love to see what that load would get out of a rifle that could handle the pressure.

but it has a bit too much of a punch for home defense. The only downside I’ve seen with the Ruger .44 Carbines has been their triggers. Since rifles are heavier, you’ll have to carry one over your shoulder with a sling, and even then you’ll feel sore hours of carrying it that way. Get Our Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets ($47 value - but FREE for a limited time).

With respect to home defense and deer hunting, I would take a repeating rifle in .44 Magnum over any shotgun, every time. Seems like you lose too much velocity with a 16″ or SBR yet inside a 3′ hallway they’re still not nearly as maneuverable as a pistol.

The Henry USA .44 Magnum rifle chambers are the most versatile and adopt all the ranch uses as they are good for every work style. Perhaps even more importantly, THE EDIT FUNCTION IS BACK!!! I wouldn’t worry to much about over penetration from a 180gr SJHP at 2000fps. The cartridge might not have as much punch as a .44 mag but it has more far punch than a 9X19mm any day and not many of us would like to get shot by a 9X19! I am sure it is a fine rifle, just not at that price when I can get a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 for less than 7 bills. Also, if you get the hot stuff you can get over 2000ft/lbs ME out of a 20″. For most smaller animals this makes the round a bad choice for hunting.

That means you’ll only have to make a single trip to your favorite ammo dealer to get ammo for both your rifle and revolver. Is not a 18″ barrel max for a 44 mag.