Clays will produce great accuracy in many apps, but a magnum wouldn't be one I'd choose it for either. Silhouette shooters claim it is the most accurate 44 powder they have ever used. I'll check it with current 357 data tomorrow and see if there is any difference. Find what you need in four easy steps. Using bullets from … North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, State Agency: Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: I use a lot of lead FNSWC bullets.

I purchased my first when they first came out and our family has added three more since then.

H110 is the spherical powder that screams “no wimps, please!”, delivering top velocities with great accuracy in 44 Magnum, 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh and the 460 and 500 S&W magnums. My friend the late John Wootters raised this question in an article from 1983 and even before this, in November 1982, Ken Waters published “Pet Loads for the .357 Magnum Carbine.”. My load was with a 158gr bullet and Bullseye with a stock M586. In the late 1970s, leverguns chambered in .357 Magnum began appearing. With Sierra’s 158 JSP, 15.5 grains of H4227 is right at 1,380 fps and groups three shots well under 1″ at 45 yards. Its about 3gr of clays and with those heavy 158gr bullets its a powder puff, and doesn't foul up the cylinder as bad as other 38 spl loads.

In developing a load to use for both, a lot of trouble can be avoided if one finds a good load for the rifle first instead of the other way around. Since your shooting it in a rifle select powders that are slower burning for the bullet you are using and you will realize a bigger velocity bump between pistol length and rifle length barrels. Case is about 1/2 full from what I recall, its a good load. Liked 6,069 Times in 1,258 Posts From what I have read Clays works for the cast bullets but it … Just loaded 200 rounds of 158g RF cast lead over 2.5g Clays in 38 Special (600-700 fps and very low recoil). Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, State Agency:

We don’t always need full power loads and my more pleasant shooting loads are assembled with H4227. Cartridge Overall Length: 1.580 inches: Compressed Charge: No: Muzzle Velocity: 1229 fps: No notes to display for this load. .357 Magnum Pistol (Hodgdon Data) reloading data with 290 loads.

Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, State Agency: Powder ALL Accurate 4100 Accurate No. It was not long before Winchester Model 1892s originally in .32-20 were converted to .357 Magnum. Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, State Agency: Minnesota Deptartment of Natural Resources, State Agency: You might try data.hodgdon.com and see what they say but, it is too fast to get too much out of it.

I load this bullet over 13.0 grains of H110 and 12.0 grains of #2400. The action was not as smooth as I would like and the trigger pull was much too heavy at 8-1/2 lbs.

Max Charge: 6.1 gr. New Hampshire Fish & Game Department, State Agency: Here's a good .357 Magnum ( Rifle ) Load for the Range - Bullets - 158gr. John said in 1983, “All in all, I wound up this research project considerably more impressed with the .357 Magnum as a rifle cartridge than I expected to be when I started out … the little pistol round can deliver the goods in a rifle … and more importantly, provide an awful lot of shooting fun per penny in the process. California Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Note: Cancel × Delete Note? Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, State Agency:

SWC+GC, 160 gr.

Two guns, one cartridge: The Marlin 1894 and the Ruger Old Model. I had Milt Morrison slick up the action and take the trigger back to 3-1/2 lbs. All Palmetto Reloading Gear/Accessories!

SWCA #3437 #5 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM David LaPell. These days, that’s saying quite a lot!” This was written nearly 40 years ago and not much has changed. Hodgdon has load data for Clays and the .357 Magnum with 4 bullet weights but only for lead bullets, not jacketed bullets. Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: John Wootters questions as to whether or not the .357 Magnum was a rifle cartridge is pretty much the same conclusion I came to many years ago. Nevada Department of Wildlife, State Agency: Hawaii Department of Land & Natural Resources, State Agency: .357 Magnum Pistol (Hodgdon Data) reloading data with 290 loads. It is a good solid gun but I made a few personal changes.

The reason my loads for the .357 Magnum levergun are the same as they are for the .357 Magnum sixgun is simply because the whole point is to be able to use the same load in both. A database of .357 Magnum handloads. Idaho Department of Fish & Game, State Agency: There is no difference between rifle and pistol data for 357 Mag, they both have the same specs including peak pressure. Cartridge. He shot them in a M686 and that combo made it like shooting a 22LR! This load in a 5-1/2″ Ruger New Model Flat-Top clocks out at 1,333 fps. Muzzle velocity from a 4-5/8″ Ruger Old Model Flat-Top are 1,050 fps and 1,150 feet per second respectively. Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources. Bullet: 158 gr. New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Has any of you tried this powder for 357's . Member Join Date: Mar 2008.

From what I have read Clays works for the cast bullets but it does not have the versatility that 2400 does.

earlthegoat2 Member. Check the Hodgdon Load Data Site. From my perspective in this stage of my life if I could have only one centerfire rifle, it would be a .357 Magnum levergun, with my first choice being the Marlin 1894. J.S.P. of what some consider a “forgotten” Magnum! A series of targets John shot with the Marlin 1894, proving the accuracy ( Starline ) Eagle 17, Mar 11, 2020 #2. tacloader, Random 8, Armored farmer and 1 other person like this. Georgia Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: Posts: 5,493 Likes: 634. The Browning was dropped in 1986 but the Marlin and Rossi remain and we also have the .357 Magnum available in both 1873 and 1892 Winchesters, the Henry Big Boy and for a while, Ruger even offered their bolt action, five-shot, stainless steel Model 77/357. NEI #200.358GC. JHP (WC= WadCutter, SWC= Semi-WadCutter, HP= Hollow Point, RN= Round Nose), SP=Soft Point, (JHP= Jacketed Hollow Point and if GC indicated, means Gas Check at bottom of lead bullet) Loads for .357 Magnum… but only the gas check versions will normally work with the heavier loads. Select your cartridge type from the drop-down list. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, State Agency: 7 Accurate No. Thanks to all for the answers. Bullet Type Primer. However, it gains right at 400 fps from the 18-1/2″ Marlin 1894 and puts three shots in 3/4″ at 45 yards. North Dakota Game & Fish Department, State Agency: Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, State Agency: JHP, 125 gr.

Alaska Department of Fish & Game, State Agency: One of my favorite heavy bullets is the 200-gr. 11 FS Accurate No. Powders include Hodgdon, IMR Why? Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, State Agency: Author Topic: .357 Magnum Load Data (Read 10930 times) TXCOONDOG. The availability of 45/70 hasn’t made the 44 Magnum any less popular; the .308 hasn’t killed off the 30-30.

I’m always bothered when someone suggests that a more powerful gun/round precludes the effectiveness or popularity of another. Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by Eagle 17, Mar 11, 2020. JSP, .357 with JHP, .357 with JSP .357 Armour Piercing(no longer legal or available), 160 gr. However, load them in the Henry Big Boy and we pick up 375 fps and 250 fps respectively. Subscribe To GUNS Magazine. Iowa Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: Hodgdon ®, IMR ® and ... Set your sights on pistol reloading data. Illinois Department of Natural Resources, State Agency:

Then select your bullet weight, powder manufacturer and powder type.

I also wanted a better finish than the plain stained buttstock and forearm so I had Milt put a real finish on the wood. Michigan Deptartment of Natural Resources, State Agency:

I was looking for a softer recoil for my granddaughter 2400 seem to bite. Nebraska Game & Parks Commission, State Agency: Neither The High Road nor any of its directors, members, managers, employees, agents, vendors, or suppliers will be liable for any direct, indirect, general, bodily injury, compensatory, special, punitive, consequential, or incidental damages including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage to data arising out of the use or inability to use this forum or any services associated with this forum, or damages from the use of or reliance on the information present on this forum, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Powders include IMR, Hodgdon, Winchester Is the .357 Magnum a rifle cartridge? Hornady XTP: Powder: Hodgdon - Titegroup: Min Charge: 5.5 gr. I have an older manual with rifle specific data in it.

Hodgdon has a load specified for it.

Hodgdon ® Powder, IMR ® Powder and Winchester ® Powder expressly disclaim any and all warranties with respect to any and all products sold or distributed by them, the safety or suitability thereof, or the results obtained including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and/or any other warranty. I still beat him pretty well every time though! Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources, State Agency: Now this rifle is ready for use by several generations of our family. Using bullets from Cast LRNFP, Hornady XTP, MEI Cast LRNFP, Hornady FTX, Speer JHP, Hornady LHBWC, Cast LSWC, MEI Cast LSWC, Sierra JHC, Nosler Part. When hunting in the brushy areas of western Washington the .44 Magnum revolver tends to be my first choice. .357 Magnum Load Data « previous next » Print; Pages: [1] 2. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, State Agency: I want to share some scattered memories, fragmented because my thoughts are not, well ­— orderly — tonight.

For plinking in my Henry I really like the 125 gr with a heavy H110 charge. Most loads will work fine in a sixgun as long as they chamber in the cylinder, however the levergun can be pickier. With the number of different loads, both cast and jacketed that 2400 gives you it might be a better powder. My most-used load these days in a .357 Magnum sixgun is the Lyman #358156GC bullet over 14.0 grains of #2400. .357 Magnum - Manufacturer Loading Data. Member; Posts: 233.357 Magnum Load Data « on: August 12, 2016, 07:40:01 AM » I have a GP100 .357 in 6" and not sure which powders and primer to reach true mag velocities (match Buffalo Bore): XTP bullets: 125 gr 1675-1700fps 158 gr 1450-1500 fps 180gr … Powder Bul Weight C.O.L. The same thing happened 20 years later with the new .44 Magnum and the Winchester Model 1892, which had originally been chambered in .44-40. Pennsylvania Game Commission, State Agency: Both the Browning B92 and the Rossi Model 92 were based on the Winchester 1892, while the Marlin used a modernized version of their original 1894 levergun. Missouri Deptartment of Conservation, State Agency: State Agency: Wrong powder for the cartridge. Maryland Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: